Re: Exiles Grandstand Walsall away

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 18th, 2023, 5:12 pm
pembsexile wrote: February 18th, 2023, 5:00 pm Hartlepool just equalised in the 96th min. They will be full of confidence for Tuesday. Could be a real battle.
The good thing is though that whilst Tuesday's match is important, it's not as vital as it was three weeks ago.
What I agree with you on that post Brendan is that Tuesdays match is important. Where is disagree is that it is not as vital. It is. It is time to stick the knife in to one of our closest (I like them really) rivals and see them off as a rival. I have nothing against Hartlepool at all. However, with my County head on I wish them nothing but abject misery on Tuesday. That said, after Tuesdays game I hope they eventually stay up but stay behind us. It’s Rochdale +1 for me.

pembsexile wrote: February 18th, 2023, 8:45 pm
pembsexile wrote: February 18th, 2023, 5:00 pm Hartlepool just equalised in the 96th min. They will be full of confidence for Tuesday. Could be a real battle.
The good thing is though that whilst Tuesday's match is important, it's not as vital as it was three weeks ago.
What I agree with you on that post Brendan is that Tuesdays match is important. Where is disagree is that it is not as vital. It is. It is time to stick the knife in to one of our closest (I like them really) rivals and see them off as a rival. I have nothing against Hartlepool at all. However, with my County head on I wish them nothing but abject misery on Tuesday. That said, after Tuesdays game I hope they eventually stay up but stay behind us. It’s Rochdale +1 for me.
Said it all along we ain't relegation candidates the gaffer post match was spot on what relegation battle

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 19th, 2023, 12:34 am
Said it all along we ain't relegation candidates the gaffer post match was spot on what relegation battle
Wouldn't expect anything else but a positive public spin on our situation, but the reality is looking at the League table we still are a relegation candidate, albeit an outside one.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 19th, 2023, 8:27 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: February 19th, 2023, 12:34 am
Wouldn't expect anything else but a positive public spin on our situation, but the reality is looking at the League table we still are a relegation candidate, albeit an outside one.
That I think is right. From the last four matches we have taken eight points, all from play-off or promotion candidates. As I said of Jim's original comment I thought we would survive but I was far from certain. Now I think we will survive and whilst not certain I would be very surprised if we ended up in the bottom two.

To quantify it, us going down is about as likely as Rochdale staying up. And can anyone remember a side so far adrift at the bottom of League 2 at the end of February surviving? 🤔

Whatever Caughlan says you can bet he knows the score. He knows we are in a relegation fight, that is why he was appointed. But he wants the players concentrating on their football, not worrying overmuch about losing a game. If they carry on as they have since Caughlan arrived, i.e. about 1.5 points a game average, we will be fine. The Gaffer does like an optimistic atmosphere and there's nothing wrong with that.
Last edited by G Guest on February 19th, 2023, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 19th, 2023, 12:00 pm I thought we would survive but I was far from certain. Now I think we will survive and whilst not certain I would be very surprised if we ended up in the bottom two.
To help you even further, Brendan, here are some numbers based on statistical probabilities. Not 100% sure of the methodology, but it reassuringly suggests that we have a 99.61% chance of finishing mid-table (ie, between the playoffs and the relegation zone) and only a 0.22% chance of being in the bottom two. We can argue about how right or wrong those figures might be, but the trajectory is clearly a very good one now. The aim should surely be to aim for the top half - we probably won't manage it, but the form required to get there would be an excellent springboard going into next season.