Sutton reflection

I never carp or criticise the team when we lose to a better team and this is what I feel happened today. In every position, I thought Sutton were stronger and took their chances well, they were strong in the air which we unforgivably encouraged them in dominating and we missed some gilt-edged chances which cost us the points today. I thought the selection poor too as Townsend should be in for Day and Bogle for Zanzala against a huge Sutton defence, i saw no reason for the Bennett substitution either. So much for that, water under the bridge. We lost fair and square and the result was a fair one I thought.
No, it’s not the loss that galls me. It’s the fact that Sutton with its poor support and a non-league home at what is it called, Gander Goose Lane? can somehow produce a stronger outfit than a city the size of Newport. Have we been totally mismanaged for donkeys years or what? Perhaps I’m being too despondent over this result but I found that most dispiriting today even though I enjoyed the game itself. Am I the only one feeling that way?

Re: Sutton reflection

lowandhard wrote: February 25th, 2023, 9:52 pm I never carp or criticise the team when we lose to a better team and this is what I feel happened today. In every position, I thought Sutton were stronger and took their chances well, they were strong in the air which we unforgivably encouraged them in dominating and we missed some gilt-edged chances which cost us the points today. I thought the selection poor too as Townsend should be in for Day and Bogle for Zanzala against a huge Sutton defence, i saw no reason for the Bennett substitution either. So much for that, water under the bridge. We lost fair and square and the result was a fair one I thought.
No, it’s not the loss that galls me. It’s the fact that Sutton with its poor support and a non-league home at what is it called, Gander Goose Lane? can somehow produce a stronger outfit than a city the size of Newport. Have we been totally mismanaged for donkeys years or what? Perhaps I’m being too despondent over this result but I found that most dispiriting today even though I enjoyed the game itself. Am I the only one feeling that way?
My guess would be that they recruited players capable of competing in League 2 last Summer. Hopefully GC will do that for us this year.

lowandhard wrote: February 25th, 2023, 9:52 pm It’s the fact that Sutton with its poor support and a non-league home at what is it called, Gander Goose Lane? can somehow produce a stronger outfit than a city the size of Newport. Have we been totally mismanaged for donkeys years or what? Perhaps I’m being too despondent over this result but I found that most dispiriting today even though I enjoyed the game itself. Am I the only one feeling that way?
By that logic, we'd dispense with tedious things like league tables and matches, and just line up all the UK's cities in order of size and award trophies to the biggest. Well done London, champions again, unlucky St. David's.

Kairdiff Exile wrote: February 26th, 2023, 8:02 am
lowandhard wrote: February 25th, 2023, 9:52 pm It’s the fact that Sutton with its poor support and a non-league home at what is it called, Gander Goose Lane? can somehow produce a stronger outfit than a city the size of Newport. Have we been totally mismanaged for donkeys years or what? Perhaps I’m being too despondent over this result but I found that most dispiriting today even though I enjoyed the game itself. Am I the only one feeling that way?
By that logic, we'd dispense with tedious things like league tables and matches, and just line up all the UK's cities in order of size and award trophies to the biggest. Well done London, champions again, unlucky St. David's.
Whilst I sympathise with the point you are trying to make, just one minor detail wrong there KE. It wouldn’t happen. St David’s is the smallest City in the UK, but it doesn’t have a football team. Rugby yes, football no, so someone else would have to be bottom. Does Wells have a football team?

On a more serious note, it is not right that a city of our size doesn’t perform better in proportion to our population. This has been debated on here many times. No real idea what the answer is.

pembsexile wrote: February 26th, 2023, 8:59 am
Whilst I sympathise with the point you are trying to make, just one minor detail wrong there KE. It wouldn’t happen. St David’s is the smallest City in the UK, but it doesn’t have a football team. Rugby yes, football no, so someone else would have to be bottom. Does Wells have a football team?

On a more serious note, it is not right that a city of our size doesn’t perform better in proportion to our population. This has been debated on here many times. No real idea what the answer is.
Please note that the population of the Borough of Sutton is over 200,000. Why aren't they performing better in proportion to there population?
I would suggest the income available to any club is a major factor irrespective of population. e.g. FGR. Currently of course our income is restricted primarily by our attendances and money raised by trust membership.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 26th, 2023, 9:17 am

Please note that the population of the Borough of Sutton is over 200,000. Why aren't they performing better in proportion to there population?
I would suggest the income available to any club is a major factor irrespective of population. e.g. FGR. Currently of course our income is restricted primarily by our attendances and money raised by trust membership.
Wasn’t making any comment about Sutton OC. Their income is an issue for them. I was more concerned about our predicament. I don’t think that the income available is a major factor irrespective of population though, I think it is related proportionally. The more the population the more chance of larger crowds, sponsorship and advertising revenue. They are not the only ways to get income though.

Suttons Gander Green Lane is testament to their recent history as a non league team. FGR have a tiny population and a tiny ground, as do our other neighbours Bristol Rovers who now fill the Memorial ground which is as poor a league ground as was Twerton Park and Eastville before that. Bristol Rovers have a billionaire owner.
Recent history in non league doesn't help in the ground stakes compared to those who have fallen down from the top of the tree to league 2.

pembsexile wrote: February 26th, 2023, 9:51 am

Wasn’t making any comment about Sutton OC. Their income is an issue for them. I was more concerned about our predicament. I don’t think that the income available is a major factor irrespective of population though, I think it is related proportionally. The more the population the more chance of larger crowds, sponsorship and advertising revenue. They are not the only ways to get income though.
I accept you weren't commenting directly on Suttons income, although you did raise the issue of why a city of Newports size is not doing better, thereby raising the issue of success in proportion to population.
I was merely stressing size alone isn't everything (or so Mrs OC assures me); and my belief that unless any population raises income, by whatever means, in the same ratio to other populations, comparions are somewhat irrelevant.

And I think if you look at the leagues London clubs are doing considerably better both footballing wise and financially probably helped by the size of their support which depends on their catchment area. Which somewhat misses my point. However, moving on then, doesn’t anyone think that we have been mismanaged in that we have failed to mobilise the local population to support us both physically and financially which is rather surprising given the number of successful cup and league campaigns in recent years and the frequent Wembley visits.
Other posts mention that they hope Coughlan will remedy the teams shortcomings next year and I concur. It does though bring us full circle in that I wonder to what extent he is going to be supported in signing players capable of competing with sides like Sutton United. I say all this in the knowledge that having lived in Newport nearly all my life it is above all a football not a rugby city as anyone who has played the game in South Wales or even talked to any number of local people over the years would know. Many of us have witnessed their neighbours now purporting to “ support “ a Premiership team who always enquire how the County got on when they see you on the street. We have manifestly failed to reach out to that local interest and further I think we have failed to approach the many different ethnic groups in our now very cosmopolitan city. That in a nutshell is my contention, other views of our relative failure are available.