Re: Sutton reflection

countymadbel wrote: February 26th, 2023, 12:47 pm Question is would we with right investors/ investments match Wrexhams crowds? Would like to think we could and we got bigger catchment area. Thoughts.
The obvious response to that is no we couldn't given RPs maximum capacity.
My belief as a pessimistic fatalistic, even if we had the capacity, we would attract greater numbers but not match Wrexhams crowds. The reality is IMO not every town/city/ catchment area has similar proportions of people interested in supporting their local Football team, as much as we would like it to be so. That's not to say that as a club we shouldn't be exploring all avenues to gradually evolve increased support. Personally I have been pleasantly surprised at our home attendances this season given our poor form, especially at home.
L&H raises a good point I hadn't really given much consideration to i.e. our fanbase not representing the ethnic mix of our catchment area. Is this reflected at other football clubs, or is it particular to ourselves?
Honestly don't know.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 26th, 2023, 1:11 pm
countymadbel wrote: February 26th, 2023, 12:47 pm Question is would we with right investors/ investments match Wrexhams crowds? Would like to think we could and we got bigger catchment area. Thoughts.
My belief as a pessimistic fatalistic, even if we had the capacity, we would attract greater numbers but not match Wrexhams crowds. The reality is IMO not every town/city/ catchment area has similar proportions of people interested in supporting their local Football team, as much as we would like it to be so. That's not to say that as a club we shouldn't be exploring all avenues to gradually evolve increased support. Personally I have been pleasantly surprised at our home attendances this season given our poor form, especially at home.
L&H raises a good point I hadn't really given much consideration to i.e. our fanbase not representing the ethnic mix of our catchment area. Is this reflected at other football clubs, or is it particular to ourselves?
Honestly don't know.
Other clubs do have more of an ethnic mix of supporters, but Newport City does have more of an ethnic mix, if that makes sense.
Groups tend to stick together, so Leicester which has a high Asian population, is represented better.

RP has already held 10k for football, when we played Spurs, by putting a temporary stand at the rear of the north terrace. If we did match our highest level ever, both ends could be developed to increase capacity.

Exeter had a windfall but had to ballance pyramid status and developing a Council owned ground.

Before the huge tv premiership contracts, I can remember first division Chelsea and Wolves building new shiney stands, and then being relegated due to the cost, and being stuck in the second division for decades.

Honestly don't know.
Interested to know what ethnicities you think are under represented? I'm not sure what part of the ground you watch the game in but I switch between standing with the singing section and sitting in the Bisley. There are always a mix of ethnicities. To suggest that our supporter base under represents non-whites (which I guess is what you mean) is an odd take and I'd need to see it backed up with statistics. My personal experience as someone who's attended for years suggests it isn't at all.

lowandhard wrote: February 26th, 2023, 12:14 pm
Kairdiff Exile wrote: February 26th, 2023, 8:02 am
lowandhard wrote: February 25th, 2023, 9:52 pm It’s the fact that Sutton with its poor support and a non-league home at what is it called, Gander Goose Lane? can somehow produce a stronger outfit than a city the size of Newport. Have we been totally mismanaged for donkeys years or what? Perhaps I’m being too despondent over this result but I found that most dispiriting today even though I enjoyed the game itself. Am I the only one feeling that way?
By that logic, we'd dispense with tedious things like league tables and matches, and just line up all the UK's cities in order of size and award trophies to the biggest. Well done London, champions again, unlucky St. David's.
And I think if you look at the leagues London clubs are doing considerably better both footballing wise and financially probably helped by the size of their support which depends on their catchment area. Which somewhat misses my point. However, moving on then, doesn’t anyone think that we have been mismanaged in that we have failed to mobilise the local population to support us both physically and financially which is rather surprising given the number of successful cup and league campaigns in recent years and the frequent Wembley visits.
Other posts mention that they hope Coughlan will remedy the teams shortcomings next year and I concur. It does though bring us full circle in that I wonder to what extent he is going to be supported in signing players capable of competing with sides like Sutton United. I say all this in the knowledge that having lived in Newport nearly all my life it is above all a football not a rugby city as anyone who has played the game in South Wales or even talked to any number of local people over the years would know. Many of us have witnessed their neighbours now purporting to “ support “ a Premiership team who always enquire how the County got on when they see you on the street. We have manifestly failed to reach out to that local interest and further I think we have failed to approach the many different ethnic groups in our now very cosmopolitan city. That in a nutshell is my contention, other views of our relative failure are available.
A good response and a good question, L&H, in response to my rather flippant reply. I suppose what I'd say is that although historically County have punched below our weight in terms of city size, you've also got to look at it in the context of the club going bust, reforming as Exiles, and spending years playing over the border and missing out on a generation of fans as a result. In that context, I think we've done okay. When I first started coming to games twenty years ago, we were playing in front of 600-800 at Spytty Park, whereas now we're averaging over 4,000 for home games. We've also consistently increased our number of season ticket holders and are doing more and better work every year in the local community, building further links. None of which is to be complacent - but as long as crowds continue to rise then I'm prepared to be glass-half-full about it all.

Like you, I despise the growth in armchair fans of First Division clubs who think football is a TV show, and I resent how so many of the game's worse excesses (VAR, stupid kickoff times, devaluation of cup competitions) are for the benefit of these people. But that's not a problem unique to Newport or South Wales. Our challenge is to tempt those people to RP, welcome them with open arms and then give them a good enough product that they might come back again. On that metric too, we're not doing too badly.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: February 26th, 2023, 3:40 pm
Honestly don't know.
Interested to know what ethnicities you think are under represented? I'm not sure what part of the ground you watch the game in but I switch between standing with the singing section and sitting in the Bisley. There are always a mix of ethnicities. To suggest that our supporter base under represents non-whites (which I guess is what you mean) is an odd take and I'd need to see it backed up with statistics. My personal experience as someone who's attended for years suggests it isn't at all.
Clearly we have a different perspective on the ethnic mix, and I'm not suggesting I'm definitely correct. As you suggest any stats on the matter would be of interest.

Back on topic title.I thought we created more chance yesterday than in the last three aways,unfortunately,our striker missed a one on one with the keeper,as he did on Tuesday.That should have been the equaliser then,in the second half ,we had more chances but,once their second went in,that was that,the crowd went quiet and the game fizzled out.Tactically,we are too predictable,we play a side with many giants in their side but,we still hit high balls into the box.Is that the fault of the players or the manager,surely he does his homework on the opposition ahead of the game.One observation,their second goal,the ball came in from the right to the edge of the area where their guy has a shot which goes in.How often do we do that,our CM players never have shots from there,they always look to go sideways to feed Norman or Lewis but never move into space and shoot.Are our midfielders lacking in confidence to shoot or,are they told to give it to the WB’s,either way it is reducing our threat and option.We were spoilt with Twine but surely someone should be having a go.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 26th, 2023, 4:10 pm
Honestly don't know.
Clearly we have a different perspective on the ethnic mix, and I'm not suggesting I'm definitely correct. As you suggest any stats on the matter would be of interest.
Last year's census indicated that the largest group of people living in Newport City, but from elsewhere, are unsurprisingly Irish. Next Polish and so on. It doesn't quite help as it doesn't differentiate between different groups that were born in Newport City. Also I am not aware of any statistical evidence on how the NCAFC crowd is made up to compare.

Bangitintrnet wrote: February 26th, 2023, 4:46 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 26th, 2023, 4:10 pm
Honestly don't know.
Last year's census indicated that the largest group of people living in Newport City, but from elsewhere, are unsurprisingly Irish. Next Polish and so on. It doesn't quite help as it doesn't differentiate between different groups that were born in Newport City. Also I am not aware of any statistical evidence on how the NCAFC crowd is made up to compare.
Upon reflection stats would probably be difficult if not impossible to achieve.

Percy plunkett wrote: February 26th, 2023, 4:41 pm Back on topic title.I thought we created more chance yesterday than in the last three aways,unfortunately,our striker missed a one on one with the keeper,as he did on Tuesday.That should have been the equaliser then,in the second half ,we had more chances but,once their second went in,that was that,the crowd went quiet and the game fizzled out.Tactically,we are too predictable,we play a side with many giants in their side but,we still hit high balls into the box.Is that the fault of the players or the manager,surely he does his homework on the opposition ahead of the game.One observation,their second goal,the ball came in from the right to the edge of the area where their guy has a shot which goes in.How often do we do that,our CM players never have shots from there,they always look to go sideways to feed Norman or Lewis but never move into space and shoot.Are our midfielders lacking in confidence to shoot or,are they told to give it to the WB’s,either way it is reducing our threat and option.We were spoilt with Twine but surely someone should be having a go.
Saw the game in the same way as you describe, and would re-emphasise your first point about creating more chances yesterday than we did in our 3 last away games. I still believe the teams composure and belief at home needs improving if we are to increase our points per game.