Re: Darren Kelly Gone...

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 28th, 2023, 1:59 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: February 28th, 2023, 1:50 pm So it was true he wanted to move closer to home then dispite the conspiracy
Where's home Jim? Manchester? Derry? :grin:
According to yesterday's SWA GC statement DK wasn't instrumental in any of the January signings so as far as he was concerned nothing as changed with him leaving! Only last week club statement mention when the announcement of DK leaving how he was .despite the conspiracy

I get that some might see his salary as a waste. However, when I think of the money we have wasted in the last few seasons on players nowhere near the level required you could argue that if a SD avoids us making a bad signing here and there then he pays for himself. My gut feeling is with Coughlan being an older and more experienced head than Flynny was or Rowberry that the club might be more inclined to not replace the role for now. I think the most important bits are that there is a pathway from the academy into the first team and that we have good relations with a few clubs higher up the pyramid for decent loans - I guess either of those could be done without a SD.

Collars like our present manager GC stated he would have the final say on who is signed under his watch .he knows football is a results business and those signings will be on his head .so I would imagine most mangers would be the same especially in Lower league level, most of JR signings were x Cardiff players whom he knew and previously coached.iam not sure if any player we signed under DK tender was directly down to him .

Would any manager have the same contacts as another? Did Flynn or Rowberry have contacts at Liverpool or Manchester United?
I would see a sporting director role to be slightly different approach to a manager, in so much as it better covers a transitional phase between managerial styles. We know Flynn didn't like the fact that we had someone in place to cover his leaving! Why should he? Likewise Coughlan, why should he?
Rowberry had a different vision of how the game should be played, and therefore having someone with different contacts to him, as a backup, if his didn't come off, was perhaps more important to Rowberry.
As we have gone back closer to a Flynn style, and Hartlepool are spending cash before the government caps on football spending are announced, it makes sense to me, for Kelly to sign a new contract at a club closer to his family roots.