We are staying up! (are we?)

Fairly confident now - we've had a 'meh' season, poor even but feel a few more points here and there and we're safe, no sympathy for Crawley but wheels have come off there and as sad as I am for Rochdale (weren't they 'old' Newport County's last league opponents before going down?) - as we showed a few years ago it IS possible to pull off a 'great escape' but just don't see it and don't think we'll be pulled into a battle at his stage.

Re: We are staying up! (are we?)

CathedralCounty wrote: March 8th, 2023, 9:53 am Fairly confident now - we've had a 'meh' season, poor even but feel a few more points here and there and we're safe, no sympathy for Crawley but wheels have come off there and as sad as I am for Rochdale (weren't they 'old' Newport County's last league opponents before going down?) - as we showed a few years ago it IS possible to pull off a 'great escape' but just don't see it and don't think we'll be pulled into a battle at his stage.
Neither do I.

My guess is Crawley and Rochdale. If either go on a run Hartlepool. Two of them going on a run unlikely. Ridiculous as it sounds we might have enough points already.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 8th, 2023, 9:53 am Fairly confident now - we've had a 'meh' season, poor even but feel a few more points here and there and we're safe, no sympathy for Crawley but wheels have come off there and as sad as I am for Rochdale (weren't they 'old' Newport County's last league opponents before going down?) - as we showed a few years ago it IS possible to pull off a 'great escape' but just don't see it and don't think we'll be pulled into a battle at his stage.
I’m hoping that’s about right, a home win now and I’d probably be entirely with you. There’s always the chance of course of a great escape like ours and there’s sometimes a team that drops like a stone. Of the bottom 2 at least Rochdale can score goals, if they could tighten their defence they’d at least have a chance.

lowandhard wrote: March 8th, 2023, 12:23 pm
I’m hoping that’s about right, a home win now and I’d probably be entirely with you. There’s always the chance of course of a great escape like ours and there’s sometimes a team that drops like a stone. Of the bottom 2 at least Rochdale can score goals, if they could tighten their defence they’d at least have a chance.
That's right of course. Also what is forgotten about a 'great escape' is that it's a bloody sight easier to make up twelve points against sides at the bottom who frequently lose than it is to make up 12 points on teams at the top who tend to win frequently.

Clearly if Rochdale, Crawley or Hartlepool go on a half decent run they can extricate themselves but two out of three doing it I just don't see.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 12th, 2023, 10:45 am I’m going to call it we ARE staying up! Rebuild now
Am also quite confident of staying up, but as I've alluded to on another thread, don't believe we are in a position for a major rebuild. Building materials are very expensive, and out of our budget ATM.
Having said this, a win Tues will be a big psychological boost and see us climb up the table, if only temporarily. A defeat will get bums twitching again.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:01 am
CathedralCounty wrote: March 12th, 2023, 10:45 am I’m going to call it we ARE staying up! Rebuild now
Am also quite confident of staying up, but as I've alluded to on another thread, don't believe we are in a position for a major rebuild. Building materials are very expensive, and out of our budget ATM.
Having said this, a win Tues will be a big psychological boost and see us climb up the table, if only temporarily. A defeat will get bums twitching again.
We do lack funds a decent stadium & training facilities BUT we are very accessible transport wise so have the ability to attract players from a swathe of Wales & the west which so a move to Newport on £1000 a week could beat a move to a more far flung club on more money for example. Ultimately we are a small club but still feel league one is an attainable target in the next few years.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: March 13th, 2023, 11:53 am Anyone think we have a hope in hell of keeping Priestley? I won't begrudge him playing in a higher league but it will be painful if he does a Telford.
I think that the only hope is that the potential new “investment” brings improved contracts ? Not forgetting Mickey & Norman ? I’m not really upto speed with players contracts, so there may be a few others ?? Aaron Lewis for example.

Justanordinaryfan wrote: March 13th, 2023, 12:01 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: March 13th, 2023, 11:53 am Anyone think we have a hope in hell of keeping Priestley? I won't begrudge him playing in a higher league but it will be painful if he does a Telford.
I think that the only hope is that the potential new “investment” brings improved contracts ? Not forgetting Mickey & Norman ? I’m not really upto speed with players contracts, so there may be a few others ?? Aaron Lewis for example.
Inevitably talk of contract renewals are thought about this time of the season. Think it noticeable, that comments from the manager and club captain appear to suggest that talks will be delayed until near or at the end of the season. Maybe to establish our mathematical safety from relegation, or could it also be awaiting something else?