Re: Seems they don't like Newport

On a more practical and positive note the city, Newport County & dragons could come together with the me cure hotel or Celtic manor to offer visiting fans a discount surely? Yes Newport has its well documented issues but we have the wetlands, Tredegar house and nice museum, caerleon, golf, belle vue park, good bars and some “hip” eating places including the market, etc I do think people are too down on the port and in fact I remember another journalist for “when Saturday comes” being really complementary about Newport.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 13th, 2023, 8:42 am On a more practical and positive note the city, Newport County & dragons could come together with the me cure hotel or Celtic manor to offer visiting fans a discount surely? Yes Newport has its well documented issues but we have the wetlands, Tredegar house and nice museum, caerleon, golf, belle vue park, good bars and some “hip” eating places including the market, etc I do think people are too down on the port and in fact I remember another journalist for “when Saturday comes” being really complementary about Newport.
Now, hang on a minute CC. You have mentioned Belle View park. What about Beechwood park? When I was a nipper it had a 9 hole pitch and putt, top swings and slides, bottom swings and slides, two bowling greens, three tennis courts, Beechwood house, football pitch, rockery garden, snow slide area in the winter, red squirrels, paddling area, flower gardens and much much more. Far superior to Belle View park😀. Best municipal park I have ever seen in my worldly travels.

pembsexile wrote: March 13th, 2023, 8:54 am
CathedralCounty wrote: March 13th, 2023, 8:42 am On a more practical and positive note the city, Newport County & dragons could come together with the me cure hotel or Celtic manor to offer visiting fans a discount surely? Yes Newport has its well documented issues but we have the wetlands, Tredegar house and nice museum, caerleon, golf, belle vue park, good bars and some “hip” eating places including the market, etc I do think people are too down on the port and in fact I remember another journalist for “when Saturday comes” being really complementary about Newport.
Now, hang on a minute CC. You have mentioned Belle View park. What about Beechwood park? When I was a nipper it had a 9 hole pitch and putt, top swings and slides, bottom swings and slides, two bowling greens, three tennis courts, Beechwood house, football pitch, rockery garden, snow slide area in the winter, red squirrels, paddling area, flower gardens and much much more. Far superior to Belle View park😀. Best municipal park I have ever seen in my worldly travels.

Strange how the day after this article comes out in the Telegraph & Argus in Yorkshire the South Wales Argus in South Wales run a story

'' Could more be done to promote Newport as a tourist destination? ''

Coincidence ?

In fairness I missed 14 locks too! Agreed beechwood is along with BV among the nicer municipal parks, we’re darned fortunate to have those green spaces

CathedralCounty wrote: March 13th, 2023, 10:15 am
In fairness I missed 14 locks too! Agreed beechwood is along with BV among the nicer municipal parks, we’re darned fortunate to have those green spaces
And if the sun is out and the tide is in, the walk across the footbridge from the Friars Walk car park to RP is very pleasant.

Bonson&Hunt wrote: March 13th, 2023, 10:04 am Spent my childhood in Beechwood Park honing my soccer skills in 20 a side games. Also aged 16 set my record for keepyuppy of 266. Anyone beat that?
No more than about 50 for me, but also played in 20 a side games on a Sunday at the top of the park alongside the pitch and putt.

Also played down by the dingle in the middle where two trees were the goals, and everyone defended the player with the ball, who was attacking the single goalkeeper.

Also spent lots of time with young ladies behind the tall rose bushes in the secluded rose garden, but that's a completely different story about learning how to work your way through defences. Some much stronger than others.........

G Guest wrote: March 12th, 2023, 4:28 pm It would not surprise me if people travelling in the opposite direction, from Newport to Bradford felt much the same. Certainly we believe that this division is not a lot of good for us. Far too many northern teams.
I take your point, but were it not for my slowly diminishing health and receding bank balance, I would much prefer going north than having to settle for the likes of Crawley, Stevenage, Sutton Utd, Gillingham and AFC Wimbledon, not to mention the future possibility of Woking, Dorking, or who knows, Norm's Godalmighty Town.

Better transport links from London than Newport, admittedly, but for now it's relying on the heroic endeavours of Ian Street to keep me informed.

Bradford City are undoubtedly a big club. I visited Valley Parade for the first time last season and was impressed with the stadium, the number of fans, and the parts of Bradford that I saw. I also recall the effort Jim (UTC) put into restoring our reputation with Bradford by organising a collection for a charity after some distasteful chanting at Stuart McCall.

Bradford are underachievers in their own locality, with much bigger and, arguably, better clubs around them. This possibly Leeds to a feeling of inferiority that can only be soothed by criticising other clubs who function just as well at their level but with fewer resources.

Kevinmoorefellover wrote: March 13th, 2023, 6:49 pm Bradford City are undoubtedly a big club. I visited Valley Parade for the first time last season and was impressed with the stadium, the number of fans, and the parts of Bradford that I saw. I also recall the effort Jim (UTC) put into restoring our reputation with Bradford by organising a collection for a charity after some distasteful chanting at Stuart McCall.

Bradford are underachievers in their own locality, with much bigger and, arguably, better clubs around them. This possibly Leeds to a feeling of inferiority that can only be soothed by criticising other clubs who function just as well at their level but with fewer resources.
Quite.

Just to add a simple choice.

Next season would we not rather be going to Derby than Barrow? No disrespect to Barrow. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 13th, 2023, 7:12 pm
Kevinmoorefellover wrote: March 13th, 2023, 6:49 pm Bradford City are undoubtedly a big club. I visited Valley Parade for the first time last season and was impressed with the stadium, the number of fans, and the parts of Bradford that I saw. I also recall the effort Jim (UTC) put into restoring our reputation with Bradford by organising a collection for a charity after some distasteful chanting at Stuart McCall.

Quite.

Just to add a simple choice.

Next season would we not rather be going to Derby than Barrow? No disrespect to Barrow. :grin:
I'd much rather go to Barrow.