13 years ago

To the very night Dean Holdsworth and his team made history - promoted to conference National in March and went on to achieve a total of 103 points that season which has not been matched since. This was the platform for Justin and his team to take us back to our initial dream from 1989 when we took the vision of football with a future under the leadership of David Hando and his board - all of whom believed. Thank you!

Re: 13 years ago

Thanks Glyn. What great memories that brought back. Amazing to see the terrace so full and the scenes at the end. Also our fans directly behind the goals. Spytty Park had a lot of critics but on nights like that it was bouncing. Also some great players at that level, and Sam Foley is still playing 13 years later at a higher level. Probably a closer link between fans and players back then, and of course the commentary by Tim Thraves and Richard Shepherd.

excessbee wrote: March 13th, 2023, 8:01 pm Was it Dover? I recall going there and us knocking them off the top of the table and feeling we can actually win this. Not sure if they kept their good season going.
I remember that Dover game. Actually I think we were already top, and the win that day put us about 7 points clear. (My memory is slightly hazy but I do remember thinking that we would still be ahead of Dover had we lost but that a win would really open up a gap. That too was the day I thought promotion was possible.

My other abiding memory of that day was the long walk through a park to get to the ground. Back then I often accompanied the late Brian Gough to games. Brian had severe mobility problems and I think it took us about an hour to get to the car. Happy days.

That was a great day. Made me think of the days that were even better.
1. The Great Escape.
2. Draw v Spurs.
3. Beating Leicester City.
4. Beating Shewsbury a long time ago in the Welsh Cup Final. Was it 3-0 with a Tynan hat-trick?
5. Beating West Ham in the cup 2-1 in the late 70's.
Anyways, they all made up for the countless miserable afternoons on the terraces at Somerset Park in the 60's and 70's freezing my nuts off and watching us lose more often than not, and then wondering if we wouldd get re-elected at the end of the season.

NearlyDead wrote: March 14th, 2023, 12:19 pm
Ian Pope wrote: March 14th, 2023, 11:22 am 4. Beating Shewsbury a long time ago in the Welsh Cup Final. Was it 3-0 with a Tynan hat-trick?
TT got 2 in the home leg and 1 away. David Gwyther got 1 but can't recall who got the other in the away leg.
It was Steve Lowndes who got the other. 0-3 to County.

Ian Pope wrote: March 14th, 2023, 11:22 am That was a great day. Made me think of the days that were even better.
1. The Great Escape.
2. Draw v Spurs.
3. Beating Leicester City.
4. Beating Shewsbury a long time ago in the Welsh Cup Final. Was it 3-0 with a Tynan hat-trick?
5. Beating West Ham in the cup 2-1 in the late 70's.
Anyways, they all made up for the countless miserable afternoons on the terraces at Somerset Park in the 60's and 70's freezing my nuts off and watching us lose more often than not, and then wondering if we wouldd get re-elected at the end of the season.
Was at three of them. Great days indeed. It’s strange but the game that I have the most memories of and think ‘if only’ was CZJ at home. If only Keith Oakes had slightly deflected his header instead of meeting it inch perfect at almost point blank range!