Re: Inclusion room at RP?

I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think we are getting away from the initial comment which was about fans with neurological, cognitive issues. Of course fans with disabilities must be catered for as they are just as important as anyone else.

As I mentioned, my grandson is autistic. This does not count as disabled as he is as physically able as the next 13 year old. However, putting him close to the noise of 4000 fans would make a visit nigh on impossible. An inclusion room would be the only practical solution. Even then, he would need to feel as safe as does at home. To do this we give him comfort, safety, seclusion, no noise and stimulus. There must also be a routine for him and this routine must never, ever change. He would have to have the same seat, next to the same people which would make things very difficult. It could be done, but…………

For any avoidance of doubt, I think it's absolutely dire that we stuff the disabled into a corner with a shed from B&Q.

An indictment of Rodney Parade, of course that would sooner kit out the director's box than convert anything for the poor, soaking disabled with a shite view of the game week in, week out.

That's alright though, we have waterproofs and blankets.

Embarrassing.

Jack wrote: March 13th, 2023, 5:26 pm For any avoidance of doubt, I think it's absolutely dire that we stuff the disabled into a corner with a shed from B&Q.

An indictment of Rodney Parade, of course that would sooner kit out the director's box than convert anything for the poor, soaking disabled with a shite view of the game week in, week out.

Embarrassing.

Agreed.

Exile 1976 wrote: March 13th, 2023, 6:01 pm
Jack wrote: March 13th, 2023, 5:26 pm For any avoidance of doubt, I think it's absolutely dire that we stuff the disabled into a corner with a shed from B&Q.

Embarrassing.

Agreed.
Agreed as well. See article on County website called Unite for Access. How hypocritical is that.

Blackandamber wrote: March 13th, 2023, 6:08 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: March 13th, 2023, 6:01 pm

Embarrassing.

Agreed.
Agreed as well. See article on County website called Unite for Access. How hypocritical is that.
The black box in the foreground is the temporary TV studio for Gary Lineker and Ian Wright, so the view is OK from the other end as well. I believe the TV studio was removed to fit the large temporary stand that was placed behind the terrace, for the Harry Hotspur game.

Regarding the inclusion room suggestion, the white box is obviously designed with ramps outside the perimeter fence for access and egress to toilets etc. It also appears to be well used by the less able, and I assume others prefer to use the lift in the Bisley to access different facilities.

Personally - like most - never used either, however it strikes me that for someone in Cathedral's position, that acting as a helper in a quieter area of the ground, could be mutually benificial. That is of course if it works completely for the individual, and the less able bodied fan is not just left stranded.

Not sure what you mean by "the view is OK from the other end as well". The disabled "box" is the tiny white "bus shelter" on the Bisley side of the ground. This is open to the elements and access is via a fairly steep ramp, which may exclude some wheelchair users. I'd love to hear from any of our supporters who have used this.

The sensible thing for the club to do would be to ask people living with disabilities what can be done to facilitate and/or enhance the matchday experience.
It strikes me that for those of us fortunate enough not to be living with a disability to tell those who are what they need is at best patronizing and at worst insulting.

It would appear to be a very poor provision, nothing more than a token gesture. I wouldn't be happy to watch from the North Terrace because its so far back from the pitch. The disabled platform is even further away. I'd have thought a more substantial structure could be made at the southern end of the Compeed terrace (but not behind the goal-line).

Blackandamber wrote: March 14th, 2023, 9:56 am Not sure what you mean by "the view is OK from the other end as well". The disabled "box" is the tiny white "bus shelter" on the Bisley side of the ground. This is open to the elements and access is via a fairly steep ramp, which may exclude some wheelchair users. I'd love to hear from any of our supporters who have used this.
Simply that I stood next to the white box at the first game after covid, FGR playoff first leg. The view was OK, albeit more from a corner perspective. Personally when at the Principality Stadium I prefer to sit in the gods, at the corner, as it gives both a side and end perspective of a game at the same time.

Interestingly, when NCAFC played Leicester away in the league Cup, a less able County Fan was placed backing onto the pitch perimeter fencing, obviously at pitch level. This meant that he was in front of the stand roof (it was raining) and had a great view of the linesmans back, when anything interesting was happening in the goal area.

Like you I would also like to hear what our less able fans think of their facilities at RP, in comparison to away grounds that they have attended............

UPTHEPORT wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:53 am I'd say the problem is fire regs if you're in the stand it's a job to get someone in a wheelchair out quickly where they are there's very little to stop them getting out for the majority of game's
That's a very good point that I hadn't considered.

I did wonder about the small section of terrace - now out of bounds- behind the dug outs in the Compeed Stand, as a possibility. However even if it was possible to retrofit a flat area at the back of the terrace, by creating an access cut through from the concourse. This would mean moving the existing refreshments etc, providing less able toilets etc, but I can now see that egress problems would in fact be the deal breaker.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:26 am The sensible thing for the club to do would be to ask people living with disabilities what can be done to facilitate and/or enhance the matchday experience.
It strikes me that for those of us fortunate enough not to be living with a disability to tell those who are what they need is at best patronizing and at worst insulting.
For many people with a lower body disability they haven't had a match day experience at Rodney Parade because either they're unable to get to the "bus shelter" or it's totally unappealing. Since my wife has been disabled she's been to two County matches - the final game of the season at Spytty when we were promoted from Conference South, and the Wembley play off game against Morecambe. Access for both games was easy, and the view at Wembley was superb. The only downside at Wembley (apart from the result obviously) was that only the car park allocated to Morecambe fans had disabled parking spaces.

The trust until fairly reacently had a representative who was less able voted onto their board. I know he liked to be available to chat too before games in the marquee. I assume that that he managed to get most, if not all of what was requested done.
If not he would have at least mentioned items needed to be done when the report above was written wouldn't he?

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 14th, 2023, 11:44 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:53 am I'd say the problem is fire regs if you're in the stand it's a job to get someone in a wheelchair out quickly where they are there's very little to stop them getting out for the majority of game's

I did wonder about the small section of terrace - now out of bounds- behind the dug outs in the Compeed Stand, as a possibility. However even if it was possible to retrofit a flat area at the back of the terrace, by creating an access cut through from the concourse. This would mean moving the existing refreshments etc, providing less able toilets etc, but I can now see that egress problems would in fact be the deal breaker.

The North Stand at Hilsborough with disabled sections at the front which have been there for well over 20 years. It seems this type of facility would be fairly simple to implement on the terraced area of the Compeed stand.

Amberexile wrote: March 14th, 2023, 4:40 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: March 14th, 2023, 11:44 am

The North Stand at Hilsborough with disabled sections at the front which have been there for well over 20 years. It seems this type of facility would be fairly simple to implement on the terraced area of the Compeed stand.
IMO something like that would block the access to the Compeed terrace which is at the bottom behind the perimeter fencing. Re thinking the back of the Compeed terrace idea I wonder if only powered wheelchair/mobility scooters could be allowed, which would aid emergency egress before the top tier of the stand, assuming of course it is needed.