Re: Exiles Grandstand: Newport v Wimbledon

faerun exile wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:35 pm Thought we looked leggy from the off. GC is a little guilty of not rotating the squad in my view. Not sure why he waited until 65 mins to change things. Clearly we weren’t at the races first half so why not make subs at HT. Much better with the subs which was encouraging. Decent 4,000+ crowd tonight for a dead rubber on a Tuesday night.
I said that before the game.GC bottled it by starting with the same eleven based on the last game.Saturday Tuesday games mean there needs to be rotation even if players have good performances,they need resting.

Jdw4127 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 9:14 pm Can anybody tell me what McNeill has contributed in a county shirt , had a lot of opportunities but never shown anything . Looks like the deal was he had to have agreed game time but Kavanagh looks twice the threat
He would have had an assist against Hartlepool but Zanzalla missed with only the keeper to beat,the same at Salford when Bogle fluffed a one on one.He plays some neat balls through but the player messes up so you don’t notice it.He is a bit raw on times but he never stops putting the effort in.Kavanagh had a chance tonight where he could have taken it on but chose to shoot first time and scuffed his shot.Both show effort but both have a lot to learn.I would still play either ahead of Bogle,in fact,I would probably have more chance of scoring than him and I am 63 and haven’t played for 45 years.

Percy plunkett wrote: March 14th, 2023, 11:01 pm Sorry to keep on about Bogle but,he didn’t win any headers but,still managed to give free kicks away.Again,no attempts on goal,his first touch is abysmal.There was one good interplay freeing Lewis down the left but,that was the only good thing he did.Why is he in the team,he contributes nothing.
Have to admit his technique at winning headers is somewhat unique in that his feet rarely leave the ground. Noticeable that Evans had more success in the time he was on the pitch.

ghosty wrote: March 14th, 2023, 11:52 pm In McNeil's defence is that he's playing upfront alongside Bogle. Perhaps if he had someone winning headed knock-on's like Evans was doing he may get the chances to put them away.

And as for Wimbledon, they made Westley's Stevenage look like Holland's total football of the 70's
Agree with that. If though you look at the League positions of both clubs, just about safe but a nagging doubt, the game had draw written all over it.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:04 am One of the few surprising positives from last night was the 4000+ attendance for a Tues night game.
Bodes well for the future if we ever return to a team fighting for a top 7 spot.
Don’t want to play devils advocate, but I was surprised at the attendance (FairPlay to the 315 (I think) midweek travellers), maybe something to do with pre bought tickets for the original date ?

Well, the point last night was thoroughly deserved, because Wimbledon were just as bad as us. Our plan from the off seemed to be to launch the ball up the pitch with no particular plan of where it was going to land. Only Aaron Lewis seemed to have any ability to control the ball. Much better after the substitutions. There is so much more physicality in Evans than McNeil. We do need a couple of confident midfield players, although I thought Wildig's short contribution was positive.