Michael Flynn's legacy.

Remember those heady days a few years back when Newport County were defeating just about everybody in the FA Cup? And didn't the then manager want the money to be used to create a legacy, for after he had gone. He wanted a new training facility as I recall.

Had he got his way the only losers would have been those who hire out our present training facility. Newport Live.

Now that's what I call a conflict of interest.

Re: Michael Flynn's legacy.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:42 pm Remember those heady days a few years back when Newport County were defeating just about everybody in the FA Cup? And didn't the then manager want the money to be used to create a legacy, for after he had gone. He wanted a new training facility as I recall.

Had he got his way the only losers would have been those who hire out our present training facility. Newport Live.

Honest question:

Was the ££ we collected through our cup runs enough to build this “legacy” and continue to compete on a Lg2 playing field ?

Would we have rather had a Legacy in the Conference or lower ….. or continue to use other facilities and continue operate in Lge2 ?

Pretty sure KW made it clear he was involved with Newport Live in his manifesto when we voted to put him on the board ?

Justanordinaryfan wrote: March 17th, 2023, 3:18 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:42 pm Remember those heady days a few years back when Newport County were defeating just about everybody in the FA Cup? And didn't the then manager want the money to be used to create a legacy, for after he had gone. He wanted a new training facility as I recall.

Honest question:

Was the ££ we collected through our cup runs enough to build this “legacy” and continue to compete on a Lg2 playing field ?

Would we have rather had a Legacy in the Conference or lower ….. or continue to use other facilities and continue operate in Lge2 ?

Pretty sure KW made it clear he was involved with Newport Live in his manifesto when we voted to put him on the board ?

I have no idea.

But that is not my point. There is a clear conflict of interest. The sums of money are potentially huge. In those circumstances it is simply not acceptable to have had a director of Newport County who at the same time was also heavily involved with another company of whom Newport County were a client.

As I said it just doesn't pass the smell test.

Justanordinaryfan wrote: March 17th, 2023, 3:29 pm So why didn’t any of us who read the manifesto pipe up then …: I have no idea how these conflicts are managed …. You probably do.

It must have passed our smell test previously or shouldn’t have there been the normal 100 pages of angst about it ?
Come on. How many people read the manifesto? Secondly how many who did read it knew that Newport Live controlled Spytty Park?

It was incumbent on Kevin Ward to have left the directorship once it became clear there was a conflict. Or at the very least to have made an announcement at the time as to what the conflict was.

Kevin Ward chose not to.

Kevin Ward is meant to be an expert in communication. Many supporters on here have complained about lack of communication from the club. I can understand why Mr Ward was anxious not to communicate his conflict.

Sorry I’m not having that ….: I for one did read the Manifestos, Il be honest, I didn’t think that the conflict would exist … call me naive (you probably will), I know how Newport Live operate and I know that there are layers of Management who control the relationship and the affairs between them and the club … talking of Michael Flynn, if you remember one of his parting shots was that they were treated “by the Council” (I think he referred NL as), as a chip on Barry Beach and not a Blue Chip Company , such was the dissatisfaction how tight the reigns were.
Last edited by Justanordinaryfan on March 17th, 2023, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justanordinaryfan wrote: March 17th, 2023, 4:01 pm And in his manifesto he communicated the relationship(s), maybe we chose not read or understand them …: and ps I have no collaboration with Mr Ward !!
Two things.

Firstly I don't for one moment suggest you are acting at Mr Ward's behest.

But Kevin Ward in resigning said there was now an 'increased' conflict of interest. And whether you're having it or not, Kevin Ward knew that there was a conflict of intetest and kept his mouth shut.

And that stinks.

Justanordinaryfan wrote: March 17th, 2023, 4:01 pm And in his manifesto he communicated the relationship(s), maybe we chose not read or understand them …: and ps I have no collaboration with Mr Ward !!
Or maybe most supporters were simply grateful that enough people put themselves forward in sufficient enough numbers to form a trust board to comply with Supporters Direct rules, in order to establish ourselves as a fan run club. The fact that insufficient numbers have done so as to establish competition means we have had no option but to accept the Directors we have be they be good/ bad/ or indifferent.
Currently that is still the case, with no alternative.
Will anyone put themselves forward for election now? I await with interest, but with little confidence.

Justanordinaryfan wrote: March 17th, 2023, 4:13 pm Don’t agree sorry, not that youl give two shits.

His position in the organisation has changed, so the level of conflict has changed with it.

Sometimes somethings are not as toxic or shady as you’d like to think they are.

Anyway got to go, gotta pack for a trip up North to ”watch” my team play this weekend.
Your opinion is as valid as mine. Enjoy yourself at Tranmere.

:grin:

Edit.

I suppose that is the diffence between us. You regard Newport County as your team. I regard Newport County as our team.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 17th, 2023, 5:37 pm
Justanordinaryfan wrote: March 17th, 2023, 4:13 pm Don’t agree sorry, not that youl give two shits.

His position in the organisation has changed, so the level of conflict has changed with it.

Sometimes somethings are not as toxic or shady as you’d like to think they are.

Anyway got to go, gotta pack for a trip up North to ”watch” my team play this weekend.
Your opinion is as valid as mine. Enjoy yourself at Tranmere.

:grin:

Edit.

I suppose that is the diffence between us. You regard Newport County as your team. I regard Newport County as our team.
Couldn’t have me more wrong fella.

Justanordinaryfan wrote: March 17th, 2023, 6:52 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 17th, 2023, 5:37 pm
Justanordinaryfan wrote: March 17th, 2023, 4:13 pm

Couldn’t have me more wrong fella.
Well if you're determined to make yourself look stupid, don't let me stop you. :grin:

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: March 17th, 2023, 6:41 pm I don’t necessarily see a conflict of interests here. Not in the same way that the manager, represented by a specific agency, tended to often (nearly always) recruit new players who were represented by the same agency. Now that defines a conflict of interest in my view.
Two things.

Mr Ward has admitted a confict of interest.

I agree that the contract with Elite was an even worse piece of behaviour. However Flynn was an employee of the club. He did not have the power to sign the contract with Elite. Only the board of directors could do that.
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on March 17th, 2023, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.