Re: Croatia v Wales

I liked some of the delighted comments on Radio Wales such as “ the result was never in doubt “ and “ it’s a wonder we don’t get arrested on the way out of the stadium for robbery “. I’m deliriously happy with that point but must capitalise by beating Latvia.
It was also great to watch the little general Modric in action, what a wonderful player he still is and should be borne in mind by some in football who believe that players should all be strapping, tall physical specimens cf Messi and Maradona.

excessbee wrote: March 25th, 2023, 11:09 pm Wouldn't mention Modric in the same sentence as M******a. One has always been a fantastic footballer. The other was a horrible cheat. .
If that’s your opinion of Maradona I’m afraid I can’t respect your opinion on the skilfulness of footballers. Incidentally, do you think no other footballer ever bends the rules to seek to gain an advantage? How naïve.

excessbee wrote: March 26th, 2023, 12:46 pm His cheating was a moment of opportunism of which others have been guilty. Decades later, not being able or wiling to admit as much was a statement of his character. To call it 'the hand of God' was arrogance.
Maradona was an absolute artist. Was he without flaws? No. But, he was by most people's estimations one of the top two or three ever to play the game.

Ian Pope wrote: March 26th, 2023, 1:07 pm
excessbee wrote: March 26th, 2023, 12:46 pm His cheating was a moment of opportunism of which others have been guilty. Decades later, not being able or wiling to admit as much was a statement of his character. To call it 'the hand of God' was arrogance.
Maradona was an absolute artist. Was he without flaws? No. But, he was by most people's estimations one of the top two or three ever to play the game.
Only my opinion, but he’s in the top one, to have played the game.

lowandhard wrote: March 28th, 2023, 10:37 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 28th, 2023, 1:44 pm
Justanordinaryfan wrote: March 28th, 2023, 11:34 am

I think we all have a tendency to believe that the greatest player of all time was the great player of our youth. A bit like Dr Who.

William Hartnell and Pele for me. But it's entirely subjective.
What position did William play? 😂
He was from another time. But from what I recall he was a good operator in the the box. :wink:

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 29th, 2023, 8:08 am
lowandhard wrote: March 28th, 2023, 10:37 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 28th, 2023, 1:44 pm
Justanordinaryfan wrote: March 28th, 2023, 11:34 am

I think we all have a tendency to believe that the greatest player of all time was the great player of our youth. A bit like Dr Who.

William Hartnell and Pele for me. But it's entirely subjective.
What position did William play? 😂
He was from another time. But from what I recall he was a good operator in the the box. :wink:
Not only from another time, he was just out of this world.