Re: Why are Wales top of their group?

Blackandamber wrote: March 29th, 2023, 12:27 pm I heard one commentator say that Wales are top of Group D because of the goal they scored in Croatia. Why? Croatia have the same number of points, a better goal difference, have scored more goals and also more goals away. What is the rule?
If level on points I think they go on the head to head so I assume our away draw with them is classed as a better result than them drawing at home! I think they use this system before goal difference comes into it.

Blackandamber wrote: March 29th, 2023, 12:27 pm I heard one commentator say that Wales are top of Group D because of the goal they scored in Croatia. Why? Croatia have the same number of points, a better goal difference, have scored more goals and also more goals away. What is the rule?
I think the rules apply first to the game involving the two teams that need to be separated. In that game Wales had an away goal, everything else doesn't count until they still can't be separated. IE if it had finished 0-0

Ian Pope wrote: March 29th, 2023, 5:22 pm We are top of the group. The rules are very simple. Our away point in Croatia trumps any goals advantage Croatia might have got by scoring two at Turkey.
So it's getting an away point or points that matters, not away goals, when two teams which have played each other have the same number of points. Presumably if Croatia win in Cardiff and the two teams have the same number of points then they will be above Wales in the table.

Ian Pope wrote: March 29th, 2023, 5:22 pm We are top of the group. The rules are very simple. Our away point in Croatia trumps any goals advantage Croatia might have got by scoring two at Turkey.
I always thought that results against the team that has the same points as you only became used once goal difference had been used. In other words, goal difference takes precedence. When did the rules change? I missed that one.

There is a set sequence now, head to head game is used when two or more teams have identical points. When that game finished in a draw other than 0-0, then the team with more away goals in the head to heads takes precedence. Seems to make sence, as goal for, depends on who else you may have played, until after the final group games.
It's better than being seperated alphabetically anyway.......

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 29th, 2023, 8:14 pm There is a set sequence now, head to head game is used when two or more teams have identical points. When that game finished in a draw other than 0-0, then the team with more away goals in the head to heads takes precedence. Seems to make sence, as goal for, depends on who else you may have played, until after the final group games.
It's better than being seperated alphabetically anyway.......
OK thanks

Blackandamber wrote: March 29th, 2023, 7:15 pm
So it's getting an away point or points that matters, not away goals, when two teams which have played each other have the same number of points. Presumably if Croatia win in Cardiff and the two teams have the same number of points then they will be above Wales in the table.
Yep, it is head-to-head that counts in this qualifying if two teams are locked on the same points.

pembsexile wrote: March 29th, 2023, 7:49 pm
I always thought that results against the team that has the same points as you only became used once goal difference had been used. In other words, goal difference takes precedence. When did the rules change? I missed that one.
Not sure when they changed the rules, but it makes sense, and helps us as our goalscoring might be our biggest problem.