Am I being unreasonable? Package holiday extra cancellation refund…

I know this isn’t Facebook or Mumsnet but there is some wisdom on here…

Short version booked a package holiday well over a year ago for this autumn, added a quite pricey excursion upfront but decided a few months ago we’d rather stay in the area and explore so asked to cancel the excursion – ok so far – called then emailed and got a friendly response to the effect of ‘no problem we can sort that and will refund you x amount per person’ – I replied with a ‘yes go ahead’ thinking the refund amount seemed to tally and I thought nothing of it. For context the payments are made in installments via an online account so any refunds come off the total to pay rather than direct to us and by this stage it was just before the final payment.

I’ve just discovered the refund was only 1/3rd (!) of what we’d paid for the extra and we’re talking a few hundred here, I’m not pleading poverty by any means but to me that’s a fair chunk of cash. They say its because of the way packages are worked out and that they pay suppliers non-refundable admin fees (OK if that’s the case but the amount and % seems disproportionate & punitive) BUT my feeling is they should have been clearer when I cancelled as otherwise we’d have probably just stuck with it – as now it feels like we are paying for the privilege of NOT going on an excursion (which we didn’t want to go on but that’s kind of moot now) and feel very mugged off.

I have asked for this anyway but am I right in thinking they should refund us the full cost and as they didn’t make it clear they would only refund 1/3rd or is it tough poo as I should have checked back on how much we paid initially and twigged that? (Even though I think the ‘admin’ fee story seems a little fishy and the amount/% is disproportionate to their loss as we cancelled this thing 6 months out from the holiday so they have plenty of time to re-sell and likely will). It a small company and their T&C’s make no mention of this ‘fee’. Either way its left a sour taste.

Any thoughts welcome form the wise people on here...

Re: Am I being unreasonable? Package holiday extra cancellation refund…

CathedralCounty wrote: July 12th, 2023, 8:40 am I know this isn’t Facebook or Mumsnet but there is some wisdom on here…

Short version booked a package holiday well over a year ago for this autumn, added a quite pricey excursion upfront but decided a few months ago we’d rather stay in the area and explore so asked to cancel the excursion – ok so far – called then emailed and got a friendly response to the effect of ‘no problem we can sort that and will refund you x amount per person’ – I replied with a ‘yes go ahead’ thinking the refund amount seemed to tally and I thought nothing of it. For context the payments are made in installments via an online account so any refunds come off the total to pay rather than direct to us and by this stage it was just before the final payment.

I’ve just discovered the refund was only 1/3rd (!) of what we’d paid for the extra and we’re talking a few hundred here, I’m not pleading poverty by any means but to me that’s a fair chunk of cash. They say its because of the way packages are worked out and that they pay suppliers non-refundable admin fees (OK if that’s the case but the amount and % seems disproportionate & punitive) BUT my feeling is they should have been clearer when I cancelled as otherwise we’d have probably just stuck with it – as now it feels like we are paying for the privilege of NOT going on an excursion (which we didn’t want to go on but that’s kind of moot now) and feel very mugged off.

I have asked for this anyway but am I right in thinking they should refund us the full cost and as they didn’t make it clear they would only refund 1/3rd or is it tough poo as I should have checked back on how much we paid initially and twigged that? (Even though I think the ‘admin’ fee story seems a little fishy and the amount/% is disproportionate to their loss as we cancelled this thing 6 months out from the holiday so they have plenty of time to re-sell and likely will). It a small company and their T&C’s make no mention of this ‘fee’. Either way its left a sour taste.

Worse, they will sell that excursion again at full price. You have been mugged.
Whether you have a legal right to get more of your money back I don't know. Without having the full details I couldn't say. But my advice would be let it go. At least let the money go. Never do business with that company again and let as many people as possible know who they are.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: July 12th, 2023, 9:11 am
CathedralCounty wrote: July 12th, 2023, 8:40 am I know this isn’t Facebook or Mumsnet but there is some wisdom on here…

Worse, they will sell that excursion again at full price. You have been mugged.
Whether you have a legal right to get more of your money back I don't know. Without having the full details I couldn't say. But my advice would be let it go. At least let the money go. Never do business with that company again and let as many people as possible know who they are.
Thanks - wise advice - I'll see what the outcome is on the 'complaint' I always feel that its not that mistakes or issues never happen because they sometimes do, its how a company or individual deals with them that sets them apart so always like to give people a chance to put things right.

If, as I suspect, they don't refund the full cost (I suspect they will either at most only part refund or try to fob us off with a voucher) then lesson learned - worse thing is as its a small company I'll probably be seeing some of the 'muggers off' face to face on the actual trip who will probably be bouncing around with clipboards asking if I'm having a great time - I hope I can let it go by then and not let it spoil the trip because that would be unfair on Mrs Cathedral too.

Odd thing is they surely must have had this scenario arise at least a few times before? and surely others would not just have accepted only a 1/3 rd refund even if they'd been made fully aware of it - I may be being naive here but genuinely don't think I've been deliberately misled but it all seems rather odd for them to just wave away a few hundred quid as an 'admin fee' as though its pocket change (in fairness its not a cheap trip so maybe they are used to dealing with wealthier people than us although most remotely wealthy people I know are the most hot on money and tight as...).

I know nobody would be losing sleep over this BUT after [far too] much back and forth looks like tour company will put us back to our original position i.e., we keep the excursion although did try to say they only have an enhanced option available so they implied they would charge us more on top! - I've responded with 'OK put us back to where we were no extra charge - matter closed' we'll see what they come back with - still p'd off but not quite as much so - we'll enjoy it anyway and no great hardship (we're fortunate to be able to go on holiday in these hard times) just left a sour taste - if they come good on my request I won't name and shame online.

UPTHEPORT wrote: July 13th, 2023, 11:59 am How did you pay for the excursion

I hada similar problem getting a full refund during covid I contacted PayPal they emailed me back 2 hours later saying they'd issued a full refund and they where going to pursue the company

Nice result 👍
Thanks - it was via an online 'account' (they call it a 'dashboard') and only discovered we'd not gotten back the full amount after we'd paid the final installment. I've now contacted the directors direct and have laid out my issues - don't think it'll get me anywhere but it will let me put it to bed. Going to sound like one of the over emotional 'wokey' types I dislike who exaggerate their first world issues into 'trauma' but I do feel a combination of mugged off and actually upset because I purposely booked with a smaller company thinking we'd get better service - I just didn't have my rip-off radar on for this one.

hey ho lesson learned - they have promotional event in this area in a few weeks (which I've been invited to) I'm very tempted to be a right awkward 'arry and picket that event! :lol: I won't of course but the mere thought of doing so gives me peace.