Re: Exiles Grandstand: Lincoln

We beg to differ UTP I know you are a ref. yourself and probably a good one, but speaking from a footballers point of view just a mistimed challenge, Matt Green too pacey and O'Brien made a clumsy attempt for the ball. If that was a red you would have so many cards during the game you would be playing 5 a side football by the end of the match.
League Referees are over protected by The FA, The Media, so much so they are a law among themselves. In the BBC Sport match report it stated it was a bad foul and O'Brien deserved to be sent off. Very bias reporting generally for referees never or rarely say he/she made a dreadful decision cost the team 3 points or should be apologising to the player or team etc.
Referees should be interviewed by Sky, BBC etc. after a match just like managers who have to be gagged just in case they give the truth about incompetent decisions and officiating. I know it is a tough job but please let us have more feedback and honesty from the referees and not have them shown as "The Untouchables ".
As was seen Saturday their decision making should be made with more conversation with the linesmen / women because they generally have a better view and more thought about the consequences of a harsh decision, take more time before brandishing a red and not just a heat of the moment judgement.
We know on TV watching replays slowed down, numerous times from different angles challenges are made to look worse than they sometimes are and vice versa. So key decisions should be thought about and not influenced by the crowd or player feigning injury. Teams and players are punished by points dropped; key players being banned for games, not much is handed out to a referee who makes appalling decisions and ruins games. See the same incompetent officials time and time again over Rodney Parade making the same mistakes and generally ruining the match something should be done to prevent this happening.
Off my soap box now but referees are over protected by The FA and media. IMHO

somerton moss wrote:We beg to differ UTP I know you are a ref. yourself and probably a good one, but speaking from a footballers point of view just a mistimed challenge, Matt Green too pacey and O'Brien made a clumsy attempt for the ball. If that was a red you would have so many cards during the game you would be playing 5 a side football by the end of the match.
League Referees are over protected by The FA, The Media, so much so they are a law among themselves. In the BBC Sport match report it stated it was a bad foul and O'Brien deserved to be sent off. Very bias reporting generally for referees never or rarely say he/she made a dreadful decision cost the team 3 points or should be apologising to the player or team etc.
Referees should be interviewed by Sky, BBC etc. after a match just like managers who have to be gagged just in case they give the truth about incompetent decisions and officiating. I know it is a tough job but please let us have more feedback and honesty from the referees and not have them shown as "The Untouchables ".
As was seen Saturday their decision making should be made with more conversation with the linesmen / women because they generally have a better view and more thought about the consequences of a harsh decision, take more time before brandishing a red and not just a heat of the moment judgement.
We know on TV watching replays slowed down, numerous times from different angles challenges are made to look worse than they sometimes are and vice versa. So key decisions should be thought about and not influenced by the crowd or player feigning injury. Teams and players are punished by points dropped; key players being banned for games, not much is handed out to a referee who makes appalling decisions and ruins games. See the same incompetent officials time and time again over Rodney Parade making the same mistakes and generally ruining the match something should be done to prevent this happening.
I totally agree, and was directly in line with the incident whilst on the Hazell terrace! It was a mistimed tackle IMHO exaggerated by Matt Green, and furthermore didn't warrant violent conduct and the subsequent red card! A definite yellow but not deserved of a sending off! Whilst I doubt the referee would make a deliberately wrong decision, his fitness I would possibly question, and furthermore the later irratic decision making could have caused him to lose control of proceedings, which looked "on the cards" !
I appreciate refereeing is a difficult task, but surely better criteria for league level standard should be looked in to? I like possibly many could count on one hand to date when the refereeing standard has been adequate during our games :(

mike wilks wrote:
somerton moss wrote:We beg to differ UTP I know you are a ref. yourself and probably a good one, but speaking from a footballers point of view just a mistimed challenge, Matt Green too pacey and O'Brien made a clumsy attempt for the ball. If that was a red you would have so many cards during the game you would be playing 5 a side football by the end of the match.
I totally agree, and was directly in line with the incident whilst on the Hazell terrace! It was a mistimed tackle IMHO exaggerated by Matt Green, and furthermore didn't warrant violent conduct and the subsequent red card! A definite yellow but not deserved of a sending off! Whilst I doubt the referee would make a deliberately wrong decision, his fitness I would possibly question, and furthermore the later irratic decision making could have caused him to lose control of proceedings, which looked "on the cards" !
I appreciate refereeing is a difficult task, but surely better criteria for league level standard should be looked in to? I like possibly many could count on one hand to date when the refereeing standard has been adequate during our games :(

First off its not violent conduct its serious foul play (foul play means a miss timed tackle which the ref deems to be dangerous) unfortunately its come in the modern game 20 years back it would have been a talking to or at worse a yellow

And you also have to blame the guy sat in the stand assessing the Refs if he hadnt shown a red the assessor may have marked him down

Yes the bloke is over weight but he would have to take two fitness tests a year which are physically demanding

IMO he is a poor Ref

SM you mention a footballers point of view I just wish more lads let go by Clubs early on in their career would take up the whistle but i suspect they know what stick refs get and go down the coaching route

Also i would stop Refs taking up the whistle unless they have played the game for at least a season theres refs starting now at 13/14 years of age they basically are robots no common sense

You are getting older Refs like myself who are over 45 overlooked for promotion and having to run lines to these younger refs who can not talk to people and are just concerned with their marks at the end of a game i come home sometimes a just say to Mrs UTP i dont know why I bother

Anyway rant over but I still think the Red will stick I hope im wrong mind

Yes, I should have said serious foul play. The opinions expressed on the Lincoln forum are almost entirely that it was a harsh decision, not the usual from opposition supporters. The first challenge/contact after about thirty seconds, an innocuous headed contest for the ball resulting in a throw in on halfway and he gave a free kick against McCoulsky. That set the tone. The best refs you don't notice and produce few cards. Late in the game he got really shirty with Matt Dolan when all he was trying to tell him was "wait for my whistle". You could tell he was uncomfortable by that stage.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
mike wilks wrote:

First off its not violent conduct its serious foul play (foul play means a miss timed tackle which the ref deems to be dangerous) unfortunately its come in the modern game 20 years back it would have been a talking to or at worse a yellow

And you also have to blame the guy sat in the stand assessing the Refs if he hadnt shown a red the assessor may have marked him down

Yes the bloke is over weight but he would have to take two fitness tests a year which are physically demanding

IMO he is a poor Ref

SM you mention a footballers point of view I just wish more lads let go by Clubs early on in their career would take up the whistle but i suspect they know what stick refs get and go down the coaching route

Also i would stop Refs taking up the whistle unless they have played the game for at least a season theres refs starting now at 13/14 years of age they basically are robots no common sense

You are getting older Refs like myself who are over 45 overlooked for promotion and having to run lines to these younger refs who can not talk to people and are just concerned with their marks at the end of a game i come home sometimes a just say to Mrs UTP i dont know why I bother

Anyway rant over but I still think the Red will stick I hope im wrong mind
I think it's the consistency that frustrates us, serious foul play it maybe, but what was the assault on Wilmott deemed to be? That resulted in a yellow and Wilmott going off concussed and bruised.

It's a Yellow card all day long for me, based on that challenge.

excessbee wrote:Yes, I should have said serious foul play. The opinions expressed on the Lincoln forum are almost entirely that it was a harsh decision, not the usual from opposition supporters. The first challenge/contact after about thirty seconds, an innocuous headed contest for the ball resulting in a throw in on halfway and he gave a free kick against McCoulsky. That set the tone. The best refs you don't notice and produce few cards. Late in the game he got really shirty with Matt Dolan when all he was trying to tell him was "wait for my whistle". You could tell he was uncomfortable by that stage.
You make an excellent point in that a decent ref should not be noticed. I think in general refs are unfairly criticised on here. However on Saturday the ref wanted to make the game all about him. He was very fussy and poor but still I think fair he was a nightmare for both sides!