Joe Day

Hopefully it will never happen but if I was the Chief Scout for either a Premier or top Championship side and had a quality keeper coach I would be telling my manager and board to stump up a few million for Joe this week.

If they got his distribution and box dominance sorted he would be unbelievable.
I have been watching County since 1954 and IMO the Greatest shot stopper this club has ever had even way above the great Len Weare.
Again today a Banksy type save to keep our 3 points.
I salute you Joe.
Here's hoping nobody is watching him.

Re: Joe Day

Harps62 wrote:Hopefully it will never happen but if I was the Chief Scout for either a Premier or top Championship side and had a quality keeper coach I would be telling my manager and board to stump up a few million for Joe this week.

If they got his distribution and box dominance sorted he would be unbelievable.
I have been watching County since 1954 and IMO the Greatest shot stopper this club has ever had even way above the great Len Weare.
Again today a Banksy type save to keep our 3 points.
I salute you Joe.
Here's hoping nobody is watching him.

I wish you were...To get a fee for him anything like the one we paid for him would be wonderful for a keeper that isn't even in the top 5 keepers in our division League 2 keeper..
He is good at point blank saves but bloody awful at distribution , dominating his area and marshalling his defence

I wouldn’t swap Day for anyone in our league .... but I think Karl Darlow has showed how difficult it is to crack the very top level.

The lad was unbelievable for us .... but finding it a tough gig at the mo .... although keeper wise he is very young.

Going back to Joe ... Championship back up at very best - which ain’t no disgrace? Shot stopping top quality but like mentioned his dominance off the line, communication and kicking need a lot of work.

Anyway I don’t want him to go anywhere.

I love Day but he's one of the most frustrating keepers to watch.

Makes top quality saves week in week out but must be anchored to his 6 yard box.

The amount of times the crowd have to scream at him to come out for an oncoming ball is criminal, if he had that in his game he'd be top class.

As it is he's a very good lower league keeper but no where near premiership or championship level IMO.

Harps62 wrote:Not in todays market it isn't but Corky would be happy with £50K
More positivity.
Tell me which 5 keepers you would prefer then Corky?

I'd snap £50k off anyone willing to pay it for Day as there are better players we could get for less money

Harps62 wrote:You need to read my comments about a quality keeper coach then it makes sense hopefully.
Cheers
Harps

He is mid 20's and should by now be able to kick a ball here he aims it regardless of who coaches his game.. at present the ball can go anywhere when he hoofs it forward You very rarely hear him shouting at his defence to organise them and at his height he should be more dominant in the air...Premiership keeper for a few million pounds.........Your having a laugh mate :lol:

Player of the season to date has produced exceptional saves on a number of occasions to win points.
I think his distribution is fine not brilliant but more than adequate.
I would prefer him to dominate six yard box a bit more but we did see an excellent punch after the great save at the death.
If he did improve his dominance in the area we would struggle to keep him.
For me I am very happy with his game and hope we keep him for the foreseeable future.

neilcork68 wrote:
Harps62 wrote:You need to read my comments about a quality keeper coach then it makes sense hopefully.
Cheers
Harps

He is mid 20's and should by now be able to kick a ball here he aims it regardless of who coaches his game.. at present the ball can go anywhere when he hoofs it forward You very rarely hear him shouting at his defence to organise them and at his height he should be more dominant in the air...Premiership keeper for a few million pounds.........Your having a laugh mate :lol:
I think his kicking has improved a lot over the past 12 months. Still get the odd dud but that's par for the course with any keeper.

Once again you didn't read my full thread.
Try again especially the top keeper coach or is that too complicated for you?
Still waiting for the 5 other Division 2 keepers and all these better keepers we can get for less than £50K that you mention.

If you go along and watch Sunday League football you will see utterly unbelievable saves being made.

Joe Day is an excellent shot stopper. However he is not a good distributor of the ball and too often does not dominate his area.

I haven't seen him play this season so if he has improved in in those latter two areas this post is dated. My view of Joe Day is that he is a perfectly competent tier four goalkeeper. But the view of some that he is some sort of miracle worker is misplaced. You can teach distribution but dominating an area takes self belief. Keepers who do need the type of personality to shrug off mistakes and forget about the times when they mess up.

In fifty years of watching County our best keeper in my view was Lenny Pidgeley, closely followed by Mark Kendall.

Back in the 60's and 70's Dave Jones and Terry Lynch were our worst. Pat Mountain was our most overrated and Don Payne our most underrated. On his day the short term Mervyn Causton was potentially the best but for one reason or another failed to settle anywhere.