Re: Joe Day

Stanley Weinstein wrote:
Victor Meldrew wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Conrad Logan( Mansfield), Marek Stech ( Luton), Scott Brown ( Wycombe) , Ross Fitzsimmon ( Notts County) and Barry Roche are keepers I rate as better than Day at our level
You might want to take a look at the 2 goals Luton's keeper, Stech, conceded against Lincoln on New Year's Day. :lol:
I wouldn't take too much notice. It smacks of "let's Google current keepers of teams in the top 7 and put their names up".

Surely nobody is sad enough to take an active interest in players of other clubs at this level, unless they are actively involved in scouting....

No I have actually seen all these players play not just picked their names from google...Logan and the crap ref saved Mansfield from a hammering as you would have seen if you were at the game at RP
Roche has been a good keeper at our level for years , Brown too...the other two have impressed me every time I see them play

Exile 1976 wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:As I've mentioned on here in times past, I'm by no means the biggest Joe Day fan....
Yes, some superb saves, yes a thoroughly great guy too I imagine, but in fairness to him, I do see goalies of all levels making the same mistakes. But he does certain areas of his play that want looking at. My concern, is that while we have Bittner as cover, is Bittner really CHALLENGING him for his spot?..... He does seem to be having a free ride, and earlier in Flynn's tenure he did definitely cost us around 10-12 points as direct result of errors. He does seem better now.
Somewhat humorously, when I get home from a match, Mrs.NGR asks me, "well, did butterfingers play?" .... and often when watching a game on TV, she'll look at me and say, "That was a Joe Day goal!"

If she can see it, I'm sure others can too.

Great shot stopper, great TV camera saves, but often on set pieces he's often 3 ft too far to the left, or right, or too slow off his line, or punches when he should catch......he puts me in mind of Shay Given.
Strangely, at Loftus Road, he's the sort of keeper that QPR would use..... He's not unlike Paddy Kenny too.

Butterfingers? Well your missus seems to know even less than you then.

You say he was responsible for losing us 10-12pts, yet nothing of the many points he's saved us with some excellent keeping.
Perhaps Mrs NGR needs stronger glasses

Since Joe signed for us seriously I could never ever call him butterfingers in his first season I can recall a few errors costing us goals and maybe a few points but 10-12 in your dreams.
Likewise this season maybe a point lost against Carlisle (Maybe) but over 10 gained due to his fantastic stops for us.
Said before without Joe would be in the bottom half now for sure IMO

Joe is a good keeper at our level and gains us a lot more points than he loses, if he improved his distribution and command of his area we would not be able to keep him imo.
As for past keepers remember Len Weare but only at the end of his career my first game was early 68 but he was still quality very few really good ones since Mark Kendall ( RIP ) was probably the best Pidgley was very good man of the match against Wrexham at Wembley, Darlow and Macey were other keepers I liked when they played for us.

neilcork68 wrote:Conrad Logan( Mansfield), Marek Stech ( Luton), Scott Brown ( Wycombe) , Ross Fitzsimmon ( Notts County) and Barry Roche are keepers I rate as better than Day at our level
You might want to take a look at the 2 goals Luton's keeper, Stech, conceded against Lincoln on New Year's Day. :lol:[/quote]

http://www.skysports.com/football/luton ... oln/374373
Last edited by Victor Meldrew on January 3rd, 2018, 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

neilcork68 wrote:Harps seems to think I have it in for Day and wants him replaced during this transfer window.
He seems to miss the fact that I think he is a decent keeper at our level. Not the best but far from the worst. Yes I do think we could get better for less but that's it. I'm not disappointed that he is our keeper but if offered a fee of £50k and we could line up a replacement , of which there are quite a few for less wages then any manager would be a fool to turn it down.
The way he has been going on he thinks Day is unreplaceable and is destined for the Premier League

End of subject from me......I know he won't let it lie :wink:
As I started the thread I will continue Corky.
IMO Flynny would be off his rocker to sell Joe for £50K or even £100K unless we were at bankruptcy gates and likewise the board would not condone it.
It will never happen until one day pretty sure a far bigger offer will come in for him.
He cannot keep making out of the world saves without those at a higher level hearing about him.
If all we want to do is save a few bob on wages its time for us all to give up.
Mrs Harps might in that scenario say get on the board next time around but make sure you type your application out.
That would be hell though as would miss hand bags at main gate and Corky continually telling me I love Marlon, then Robbie and now Joe.
Back to talking in the present tense now Corky as your thread above sounds like you are in the third or fourth tense.
Anyway time to take the grandkids horse riding now so signing off for a few hours.
Happy days
Harps.

Ps thanks for spending 10 minutes on your squad thoughts.
Nothing I would argue over with the comments you make.

Exile 1976 wrote:Loved Sir Lenny (I'd even be happy to have him back as no.2) but I've never seen a keeper concede so many goals from shots outside the box than him.
and his lack of command of the box earned him the nickname Dracula from some.

County's experience over the past 2 seasons suggests that if we're going to spend £50k, a good keeper is exactly where it should be going. Football being an "O-ring" game, i.e. you're as good as your weakest point. As we lack the analytics to see where the most impact can actually be found in a league full of basic errors and players with significant flaws, maximising ability in the one place significant mistakes usually cost goals makes sense.

SJG99 wrote:County's experience over the past 2 seasons suggests that if we're going to spend £50k, a good keeper is exactly where it should be going. Football being an "O-ring" game, i.e. you're as good as your weakest point. As we lack the analytics to see where the most impact can actually be found in a league full of basic errors and players with significant flaws, maximising ability in the one place significant mistakes usually cost goals makes sense.
There’s a fair argument there imho, the corollary is probably good to spend the same at the other end too as goals win games.

lowandhardandinthecorner wrote:
SJG99 wrote:County's experience over the past 2 seasons suggests that if we're going to spend £50k, a good keeper is exactly where it should be going. Football being an "O-ring" game, i.e. you're as good as your weakest point. As we lack the analytics to see where the most impact can actually be found in a league full of basic errors and players with significant flaws, maximising ability in the one place significant mistakes usually cost goals makes sense.
There’s a fair argument there imho, the corollary is probably good to spend the same at the other end too as goals win games.
Analytics are pretty clear that a clean sheet is worth more than a goal, and actually after the second goal a team scores, they're not very valuable at all. In fact in terms of points won, having a clean sheet is worth more than scoring 2 goals and only slightly less than scoring three!

In practice that is only true to a point, because whilst conceding 0 guarantees you at least 1 point and scoring 1 guarantees you nothing, if you never score you're always 2 points worse off than you could be. I think what it's actually showing is that if you keep a clean sheet it's as good as needing to score 2 goals.

https://5addedminutes.com/2011/12/10/ho ... eet-worth/

See also this: for the Premier League though... https://jameswgrayson.wordpress.com/201 ... oal-worth/