Re: Joe Day

Harps62 wrote:Stan

Think you have lost it regarding Glyn Thompson on a par with Joe at anytime (still chuckling to myself)
Lennie until Joe came along was the best keeper since Len Weare. Still don't understand what went wrong especially as he is still between the sticks.
The season we won Conference South, Glyn Thompson was fantastic. For some reason he lost his confidence about Christmas of our first season in the Conference.

Roberts was potentially very good. The Pat Mountain boo boys did for him.

Lenny was class. Best keeper I have ever seen at County.

As for Len Weare. I only saw him at the end of his career. I thought he was an excellent keeper. I was told back then that in his prime of the late 50's to mid 60:s he was even better than the that. So at least we agree on Len.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Think you have lost it regarding Glyn Thompson on a par with Joe at anytime (still chuckling to myself)
Lennie until Joe came along was the best keeper since Len Weare. Still don't understand what went wrong especially as he is still between the sticks.
The season we won Conference South, Glyn Thompson was fantastic. For some reason he lost his confidence about Christmas of our first season in the Conference.

As for Len Weare. I only saw him at the end of his career. I thought he was an excellent keeper. I was told back then that in his prime of the late 50's to mid 60:s he was even better than the that. So at least we agree on Len.
The fact it was conference south is relevant though, and , as you mentioned about Day, if Glynn was so good why weren't league clubs queuing up for him?
That year we were so much better than every other club I could have played in goals.

I can assure you that Southampton fans have been slating Fraser Forster (finally dropped last week) for years for not commanding his area, not coming for crosses and poor distribution... you'll even find a couple who'd argue he was League Two standard, which opens up the possibility of Joe Day being better. :shock:

Personally I think fans in the main don't understand how short the timeframes are to decide whether to come for a cross or not, and keepers nowadays tend to stay in the 6 yard box unless they know they can definitely collect or clear the ball, which at the top level is not that often as the things can be walloped at any level but also generally get delivered with more precision higher up the pyramid.

But basically keepers are going to get hammered most times they don't save things, whether they could actually affect it or not. Keepers getting beaten from 7 yards out by headers which they won't even see before it hits the net seems to be a popular one.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

I was sad to see Pidgely go, had the makings of a fine ‘keeper. As for the guy you both mostly missed out on, Len Weare , I feel privileged to have seen him in his prime. He was totally unflappable and the way he would soar above the challenges holding the ball above the opposing forwards heads was a joy to behold and a regular gift to the photographer from the football Argus. I particularly remember one incredible incident when with his left arm almost completely useless thanks to the sort of challenge forwards were allowed in those days he had to face a penalty, the taker naturally put it to Len’s left and remarkably he dived full length and tipped it behind with his right hand - a true legend.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

And Lenny until Joe came along.
Len Weare would of been automatic for Wales but chose to play for County all his career and continue his own painter decorator business and the toffs at the Welsh FA would never condone picking somebody from the County, even the great Alf Sherwood stopped getting picked when he joined the County.

Blackandamber wrote:I wonder if the Newcastle fans are having the same debate about Karl Darlow on their MB.
The thing with Karl was that he was never our keeper just loaned out to us.
Joe is County 100%.

Harps62 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

And Lenny until Joe came along.
Len Weare would of been automatic for Wales but chose to play for County all his career and continue his own painter decorator business and the toffs at the Welsh FA would never condone picking somebody from the County, even the great Alf Sherwood stopped getting picked when he joined the County.

Sorry my reply is stuck in the middle of your thread Stan?

Maybe diving out to command your area is not the best option if you can do world class saves rooted to your line.
I do stress though sometimes Joe should be off his line.
The punch on Monday was a good start though.

The Cat wrote: The fact it was conference south is relevant though, and , as you mentioned about Day, if Glynn was so good why weren't league clubs queuing up for him?
That year we were so much better than every other club I could have played in goals.
Pause for a moment. I do not argue that Glyn Thompson was good enough to play at Premier League level. Nor either of the two Lenny's for that matter. Although in fairness I think Pidgeley did make the bench at that level.

To answer your question therefore the reason that clubs didn't come in for Glyn is exactly the same as for Joe, he was good but not that good
Glyn Thompson had a fantastic season in 2009/10. I agree you could have played in goal for us that season, although had you done so it would have ended in relegation not promotion. :grin:

To repeat. I think Joe Day is a competent keeper. I said above that he could probably make a living in League 1 football. However to make him out to be of a higher standard than that is simply wrong.

Justin Edinburgh signed Joe to replace Lenny Pidgeley because Lenny was unable to continue playing League football. It seems pretty obvious that Lenny was far from well at that time. Edinburgh paid way over the odds because he could. He didn't need to seek out a value replacement. For all his inexperience and mistakes, Michael Flynn is already a better manager than Edinburgh will ever be. However I don't think Flynn is the Messiah either.

Just a thought but balance on this board is often lacking. Newport County beat Exeter 2-1. Not a superb result. Just a fairly good one. Michael Flynn, has done well so far but still has a lot to learn. Joe Day merely a dependable fourth tier keeper but in fairness a bit above average shot stopper. Crowd on new year's day, a touch disappointing but not a disaster. Season so far, better than expected but we are inconsistent.

Just saying.

2 things Stan

"Joe bit above average shot stopper" would suggest way above average shot stopper
"Crowd on New Years touch disapointing" would suggest a disgrace (looking forward to the other 3000 making their one appearance this season before disappearing again after Sunday.

Apologies as I am being picky now,

By the way I did here that JE was not involved in signing Joe but Les heard him talking about him and on his own back offered £50K.
JE fell off his chair when Len told him what he had done.
Urban Myth? No idea

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The Cat wrote: The fact it was conference south is relevant though, and , as you mentioned about Day, if Glynn was so good why weren't league clubs queuing up for him?
Pause for a moment. I do not argue that Glyn Thompson was good enough to play at Premier League level. Nor either of the two Lenny's for that matter. Although in fairness I think Pidgeley did make the bench at that level.

To answer your question therefore the reason that clubs didn't come in for Glyn is exactly the same as for Joe, he was good but not that good
Glyn Thompson had a fantastic season in 2009/10. I agree you could have played in goal for us that season, although had you done so it would have ended in relegation not promotion. :grin:

To repeat. I think Joe Day is a competent keeper. I said above that he could probably make a living in League 1 football. However to make him out to be of a higher standard than that is simply wrong.

Justin Edinburgh signed Joe to replace Lenny Pidgeley because Lenny was unable to continue playing League football. It seems pretty obvious that Lenny was far from well at that time. Edinburgh paid way over the odds because he could. He didn't need to seek out a value replacement. For all his inexperience and mistakes, Michael Flynn is already a better manager than Edinburgh will ever be. However I don't think Flynn is the Messiah either.

Just a thought but balance on this board is often lacking. Newport County beat Exeter 2-1. Not a superb result. Just a fairly good one. Michael Flynn, has done well so far but still has a lot to learn. Joe Day merely a dependable fourth tier keeper but in fairness a bit above average shot stopper. Crowd on new year's day, a touch disappointing but not a disaster. Season so far, better than expected but we are inconsistent.

Just saying.
Agree with all of that Stan including about the Exeter game which we won imho due to two very good goals and brilliant controlled touches from a countryman of yours. In truth the game could have gone either way like many in this competition. Like you say Flynny is far from the finished article but like you I already rate him above Edinburgh who had some startling faults for a man of his footballing experience, thank goodness he settled on Day although he paid through his nose. Joe is a good keeper but with faults ( as will all players have at this level ) imho he is better than most goalkeepers we have had especially in the last 15 years at least : decent though he is, he couldn’t hold a candle to Weare who while also being a brilliant shot stopper was willing to come and collect whenever necessary.

Gareth Wesson was a far superior keeper than all those aforementioned in this thread, it's a shame he chose the kebabs and cans over football because I think he would have gone on to be playing at a world class level now.

There were rumours that several high profile clubs were in for him.

I haven't said get rid of Day....What I have said is that if someone offered us £50k , I would bite their hands off because we could find a player who is equally as good , if not better for less money...Even though I believe he took a wage cut to sign his last contract I bet he is still one of our higher earners. That money could be the difference in signing an average player or a good player.
Day is in the top 7 keepers in our league but at what price ? Of the five I listed who I think are better keepers than him only one or two probably earn more than him a week....As I said , better for less money.

I just can't see where some seem to think he could play in the Premier League or the Championship as they have posted