Re: Joe Day

Harps62 wrote:
Bush wrote:I like day always have but he's easily replaceable as is all our players. Silly to say otherwise. None of our players are in the top 100 in their position in the country so there's always opportunity to improve.
IMO opinion that's nuts Bush
100 league keepers better than him so that's all 4 divisions plus Nationwide and he is below all of them
Like I said nuts.
Easily replaceable again nuts on a free as we have no transfer funds.
Again I stress IMO

How is his comments nuts ?????

Most Premier sides and Championship clubs have two , three or even four keepers on their books who are probably better than Day so that's 75 keepers ( maybe even more with their youth keepers), add League one , League two and then the National League and it could be a correct statement.
Before joining us Day was third choice keeper at Peterborough...........that's correct Harps...3rd choice....they probably couldn't believe it that we paid such a high fee for him a few months before his contract ran out.......Has he improved that much since he has been with us ? IMO , no ........IMO he is a good keeper at our level and is playing at his correct level but never in a million years would anyone in the Premiership want him or sign him for a fee that you stated in your opening posts about him.

As for the other comments you made about my list of keepers you asked for.......all of the five joined their current clubs on free transfers and with the exception of two or three of them I bet Day is on more wages than them , so yes we could get better for less.

I stress IMO nuts.
"Has he improved that much since he has been with us? IMO No" you state

IMO that's also nuts Corky.
100% improvement.

Room for a lot more also but then we may be loosing him for sure

I'd say be careful what you wish for. Day is a good keeper and certainly isn't a weak link. He has pulled off some stunning saves recently that have saved us points and I, for one, wouldn't want him to leave.
I've seen plenty of keepers play for us and he's one of the better ones. I agree his distribution could be better but it hasn't cost us points, so I'll put up with that.

The Cat wrote:I'd say be careful what you wish for. Day is a good keeper and certainly isn't a weak link. He has pulled off some stunning saves recently that have saved us points and I, for one, wouldn't want him to leave.
I've seen plenty of keepers play for us and he's one of the better ones. I agree his distribution could be better but it hasn't cost us points, so I'll put up with that.
I think that you may have misunderstood the thread.

The disagreement about Joe Day is not whether he is a competent goalkeeper at league two level but whether he is a goalkeeper capable of playing at a much higher level. Nobody disputes that he is a good shot stopper. However many of us feel that his handling, his command of the box and his distribution are not of the standard required for him to progress to a higher level.

Nobody arrives at the ground ten minutes before kickoff and thinks, shit Joe Day in goal, might as well go home now. Bush called it right in my opinion, Joe is not a weak link but neither is he irreplaceable.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The Cat wrote:I'd say be careful what you wish for. Day is a good keeper and certainly isn't a weak link. He has pulled off some stunning saves recently that have saved us points and I, for one, wouldn't want him to leave.
I think that you may have misunderstood the thread.

The disagreement about Joe Day is not whether he is a competent goalkeeper at league two level but whether he is a goalkeeper capable of playing at a much higher level. Nobody disputes that he is a good shot stopper. However many of us feel that his handling, his command of the box and his distribution are not of the standard required for him to progress to a higher level.

Nobody arrives at the ground ten minutes before kickoff and thinks, shit Joe Day in goal, might as well go home now. Bush called it right in my opinion, Joe is not a weak link but neither is he irreplaceable.
I haven't misunderstood the thread. I think he could play at a higher level because his natural ability is very good. He would benefit from a better coach and, to me, his kicking is the least important thing.

Easily the best keeper (other than Darlow on loan) that we've had on our books since reforming. Sure he could improve parts of his game but overall he is one of the better players in our squad and likely to be in the running for but just missing out on player of the season come May.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The Cat wrote:
The Cat wrote:I'd say be careful what you wish for.

I haven't misunderstood the thread.
My point being that nobody has wished to see the back of Joe Day. 8)
Well I suggest you read what Corky wrote about getting a keeper for less money. He seems to want him out. I'll stick with "be careful what you wish for".

Amberexile wrote:Easily the best keeper (other than Darlow on loan) that we've had on our books since reforming. Sure he could improve parts of his game but overall he is one of the better players in our squad and likely to be in the running for but just missing out on player of the season come May.
Apart from Duncan Roberts, (I think that was his name.) Glyn Thompson, before he lost his confidence and Lenny Pidgeley, before he lost his nerve I'd agree.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:Easily the best keeper (other than Darlow on loan) that we've had on our books since reforming. Sure he could improve parts of his game but overall he is one of the better players in our squad and likely to be in the running for but just missing out on player of the season come May.
Apart from Duncan Roberts, (I think that was his name.) Glyn Thompson, before he lost his confidence and Lenny Pidgeley, before he lost his nerve I'd agree.
He's a step up from both of those.

The Cat wrote: Well I suggest you read what Corky wrote about getting a keeper for less money. He seems to want him out. I'll stick with "be careful what you wish for".
He states that for a £50,000 received for Day we could sign a better keeper. You do have to ask, if Day is so good why is there so little interest from other clubs?

Most fans and a lot of managers don't understand goalkeeping. Good keepers like good referees often go unnoticed. A goalkeeper catching a cross doesn't look spectacular. A goalkeeper saving a six yard header does. A goalkeeper catching a cross doesn't look spectacular, but a goalkeeper being beaten by a six yard header is not to blame.

Go figure.

Stan

Think you have lost it regarding Glyn Thompson on a par with Joe at anytime (still chuckling to myself)
Lennie until Joe came along was the best keeper since Len Weare. Still don't understand what went wrong especially as he is still between the sticks.