Re: Joe Day

neilcork68 wrote:I haven't said get rid of Day....What I have said is that if someone offered us £50k , I would bite their hands off because we could find a player who is equally as good , if not better for less money...Even though I believe he took a wage cut to sign his last contract I bet he is still one of our higher earners. That money could be the difference in signing an average player or a good player.
Day is in the top 7 keepers in our league but at what price ? Of the five I listed who I think are better keepers than him only one or two probably earn more than him a week....As I said , better for less money.

I just can't see where some seem to think he could play in the Premier League or the Championship as they have posted
I agree with what you say. A word to the wise though. You can wear yourself out correcting that with which people misquote you. I know I spent years answering questions about things I didn't say.

Edit. I have an Opel Astra. It's a nice little car, gets me about, good fuel economy. I have no plans to get rid of it. If anyone wants to offer me £50,000 for it I will personally drive it to Newport and pay for the ferry crossing. :grin:

Seriously Corky for the sake of £50K you would be happy to let Joe go and HOPE you could find somebody better for less money.
You also moved the goalposts when you stated of these 5 Superior keepers in your view 2/3 would be on higher wages, now its 1 or 2.
Sorry but once again that's nuts.
Top 7 in our league being Picky who is number 6 as you have mentioned 5 so far none of whom I would swop for Joe regardless of their wage bill.
Thank goodness we have him as without I guarantee we would be below half way now.
Out of genuine interest is there anybody in our squad that you actually rate.
Not a wind up but would like to hear similarly to my match reports what you think of each member of our squad.
Will take 5/10 minutes of your time but give it a go.
Will be very interested to hear your views.
Throw in Flynny as well please

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:I haven't said get rid of Day....What I have said is that if someone offered us £50k , I would bite their hands off because we could find a player who is equally as good , if not better for less money...Even though I believe he took a wage cut to sign his last contract I bet he is still one of our higher earners. That money could be the difference in signing an average player or a good player.
Day is in the top 7 keepers in our league but at what price ? Of the five I listed who I think are better keepers than him only one or two probably earn more than him a week....As I said , better for less money.

I just can't see where some seem to think he could play in the Premier League or the Championship as they have posted
I agree with what you say. A word to the wise though. You can wear yourself out correcting that with which people misquote you. I know I spent years answering questions about things I didn't say.

Edit. I have an Opel Astra. It's a nice little car, gets me about, good fuel economy. I have no plans to get rid of it. If anyone wants to offer me £50,000 for it I will personally drive it to Newport and pay for the ferry crossing. :grin:
Ok Hagrid but I want full provenance that it was used and flown by Potter (and not Danny).

The best 2 keepers I have seen at this level are Dan Bentley and Jamaal Blackman. Both are currently championship keepers. I like Joe and he is far away from being an issue for us im more than happy him being our number one but he is no where near the standard of those two I have mentioned and neither of those are premier league keepers or even been youth internationals. So yes Harps I don't believe Day is in the top 100 in the country but he is the closest of any of our players at being in the top 100 in their position. Premier League clubs and even championship clubs are now stocked with keepers. some premier league clubs have 3rd choice keepers who play for their country.

In one way I agree with Neil that I would take money for Joe because I do believe he is replaceable and there isn't a player inrecent times of Newport County who we have invested as much money into who we could have the chance to make it back.

In another way Joe had the chance to be a number two at a club in league one and a huge club in league two this summer but showed loyalty and stayed. That's a lot more loyalty that certain ex players at this club who are classed as legends but walked out for nothing.

As I've mentioned on here in times past, I'm by no means the biggest Joe Day fan....
Yes, some superb saves, yes a thoroughly great guy too I imagine, but in fairness to him, I do see goalies of all levels making the same mistakes. But he does certain areas of his play that want looking at. My concern, is that while we have Bittner as cover, is Bittner really CHALLENGING him for his spot?..... He does seem to be having a free ride, and earlier in Flynn's tenure he did definitely cost us around 10-12 points as direct result of errors. He does seem better now.
Somewhat humorously, when I get home from a match, Mrs.NGR asks me, "well, did butterfingers play?" .... and often when watching a game on TV, she'll look at me and say, "That was a Joe Day goal!"

If she can see it, I'm sure others can too.

Great shot stopper, great TV camera saves, but often on set pieces he's often 3 ft too far to the left, or right, or too slow off his line, or punches when he should catch......he puts me in mind of Shay Given.
Strangely, at Loftus Road, he's the sort of keeper that QPR would use..... He's not unlike Paddy Kenny too.

newgroundrodney wrote:As I've mentioned on here in times past, I'm by no means the biggest Joe Day fan....
Yes, some superb saves, yes a thoroughly great guy too I imagine, but in fairness to him, I do see goalies of all levels making the same mistakes. But he does certain areas of his play that want looking at. My concern, is that while we have Bittner as cover, is Bittner really CHALLENGING him for his spot?..... He does seem to be having a free ride, and earlier in Flynn's tenure he did definitely cost us around 10-12 points as direct result of errors. He does seem better now.
Somewhat humorously, when I get home from a match, Mrs.NGR asks me, "well, did butterfingers play?" .... and often when watching a game on TV, she'll look at me and say, "That was a Joe Day goal!"

Great shot stopper, great TV camera saves, but often on set pieces he's often 3 ft too far to the left, or right, or too slow off his line, or punches when he should catch......he puts me in mind of Shay Given.
Strangely, at Loftus Road, he's the sort of keeper that QPR would use..... He's not unlike Paddy Kenny too.
The most accurate analogy of the whole thread.

Our Manager rates him and has him under contract.
As interesting as it is to recall past keepers, not too many of them can pull on a County shirt again (hey, welcome back Karl) to further the cause.
I temember Len and Beswick and all the rest but being a County fan in the late 50's and 60's, and as good (and bad) as they were, a prerequisite was that they all had to have a very strong back and not get too dejected post match.
Likrwise, John Aldridge and Tommy Tynan were two of the best forwards at the club to be on the pitch at the same time imo and in my lifetime, but there is little point comparing them to the current crop as they are not in the squad and will not affect the result against Leeds.
UTcurrentP.
Ps very happy with Joe Day being Newport County's No.1

newgroundrodney wrote:As I've mentioned on here in times past, I'm by no means the biggest Joe Day fan....

Butterfingers? Well your missus seems to know even less than you then.

You say he was responsible for losing us 10-12pts, yet nothing of the many points he's saved us with some excellent keeping.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on January 3rd, 2018, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harps62 wrote:Seriously Corky for the sake of £50K you would be happy to let Joe go and HOPE you could find somebody better for less money.
You also moved the goalposts when you stated of these 5 Superior keepers in your view 2/3 would be on higher wages, now its 1 or 2.
Sorry but once again that's nuts.
Top 7 in our league being Picky who is number 6 as you have mentioned 5 so far none of whom I would swop for Joe regardless of their wage bill.
Thank goodness we have him as without I guarantee we would be below half way now.
Out of genuine interest is there anybody in our squad that you actually rate.
Not a wind up but would like to hear similarly to my match reports what you think of each member of our squad.
Will take 5/10 minutes of your time but give it a go.
Will be very interested to hear your views.
Throw in Flynny as well please

A good manager would have a replacement lined up or know of one before letting one of most important places become vacant.Or that's what I would hope.
I have no idea what teams pay their players but I would think Luton and Mansfield may be paying more than we pay Day to their keepers . who knows apart from the teams ?

As for our players you ask about...

Pipe - gives 100% every game , can't ask a player to do more
O'Brien - great defender at our level , could he still do it at a higher level ?
Demetriou - Great defender in a back 5 , have doubts in a 4 as gets exposed for pace
Bennett - Good player at our current level but makes mistakes, struggles against pace and is never a midfielder.
Butler - IMO our best player this year....improving weekly
White - needs another year or two at our level , then one above , then could be a good Championship , lower end Premier player

Dolan - one week can be good , one very ordinary , needs to work on fitness
Labadie - needs to work on discipline and learn how to play the easy ball , try's to do too much and makes lots of unnecessary mistakes .works hard but can tend to try to do it all himself.
Tozer - competent player at our level , struggles with pace
Wilmott - Drifts out of games to easily , does one or two things a game that are good but most of the time is a passenger.

Amond - works his balls off closing down , give him the right service and he will get you goals , the long punt/ hoof upfield we use isn't suited to his game
Nouble - an enigma , has skill in abundance but switches off during games and hides. When he wants to he works his butt off but can also be very lazy in the same game.
McCoulsky - as with many goalscorer , not the most gifted footballer but has pace , knows where to be in the area when the ball arrives and knows where the goal is , one of the hardest things to do in football...needs a few more years at our level or just above to build up his football knowledge.
Jackson - stealing a living from us...Never a league footballer IMO

Rigg - needs to be used more by Flynn , one of our better players on his day, IMO a mistake if he let's him go unless his wages are a problem..

JBB....not up to it
Williams ....showed promise before his loan spell , could be as good prospect now he has been out on loan and got loads of goals
Reynolds....needs first team football out on loan in Conference North/South to build his confidence up whilst still training full time with us
TOE ....needs a spell out on loan in Conference

But she didn't 'see it' - she is merely feeding off your (imo) ridulous comment re: ' butterfingers' - 'stick' to your Italian/Maylaysian/Indian club or whatever/whomever they are now.

Harps seems to think I have it in for Day and wants him replaced during this transfer window.
He seems to miss the fact that I think he is a decent keeper at our level. Not the best but far from the worst. Yes I do think we could get better for less but that's it. I'm not disappointed that he is our keeper but if offered a fee of £50k and we could line up a replacement , of which there are quite a few for less wages then any manager would be a fool to turn it down.
The way he has been going on he thinks Day is unreplaceable and is destined for the Premier League

End of subject from me......I know he won't let it lie :wink:

Exile 1976 wrote:

Butterfingers? Well you're missus seems to know even less than you then.

You say he was responsible for losing us 10-12pts, yet nothing of the many points he's saved us with some excellent keeping.
...erm, I did say, "somewhat humorously"........

newgroundrodney wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

Butterfingers? Well you're missus seems to know even less than you then.

...erm, I did say, "somewhat humorously"........
To you and your wife.

neilcork68 wrote:Conrad Logan( Mansfield), Marek Stech ( Luton), Scott Brown ( Wycombe) , Ross Fitzsimmon ( Notts County) and Barry Roche are keepers I rate as better than Day at our level
You might want to take a look at the 2 goals Luton's keeper, Stech, conceded against Lincoln on New Year's Day. :lol: