Re: Joe Day

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Len Weare. IMO definitely the best County keeper I've seen. Although in his era keepers had the advantage of being able to pick up back passes, they had the disadvantages that centre forwards could regularly clatter into them without giving away a free kick, the ball was heavier, and the pitches muddier, which they had to be extremely brave.

I think that Joe Day is one of the best keepers we've had, certainly in the top ten. If he consistently improves on his distribution, kicking and commanding his area, we will probably lose him PDQ to a higher division. Having said that he does come off his line more frequently than when he first arrived at RP.

Blackandamber wrote:I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Len Weare. IMO definitely the best County keeper I've seen. Although in his era keepers had the advantage of being able to pick up back passes, they had the disadvantages that centre forwards could regularly clatter into them without giving away a free kick, the ball was heavier, and the pitches muddier, which they had to be extremely brave.

I think that Joe Day is one of the best keepers we've had, certainly in the top ten. If he consistently improves on his distribution, kicking and commanding his area, we will probably lose him PDQ to a higher division. Having said that he does come off his line more frequently than when he first arrived at RP.
Please read my initial post as I think you missed the Len Weare comment.

Cheers

Like Stan I like to see a goalkeeper that is vocal to his defence, organises them and knows when to come to claim the ball and when to leave it to others. Whenever I have seen Bittner play he possesses some of these qualities (but not all) but Day possesses few of these qualities but is with little doubt a good shot stopper. Bittner is almost certainly a better judge of goalkeepers than me and knows where Days strengths and weaknesses lie and is no doubt coaching him in areas where he can improve. Is Bittner a good goalkeeping coach? Does anyone on here really know? He's a competent goalkeeper at this level and could fill in short term should Day become injured. And he can coach goalkeepers. A better goalkeeping coach should we need one is probably low down on Flynn's list of priorities on a tight budget so the current situation will remain until either Day or Bittner are attracted elsewhere.

Could Joe Day play at a higher level? Yes. Would he be any good at a higher level? None of us know. But an interesting question would be to ask how many of the 30 league goals conceded by County this season so far have been through poor goalkeeping, poor defending, poor officiating, terrific play from the opposition or any combination of the above? Perhaps under forensic examination Day may not come out as well as people think.

Harps62 wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Len Weare. IMO definitely the best County keeper I've seen. Although in his era keepers had the advantage of being able to pick up back passes, they had the disadvantages that centre forwards could regularly clatter into them without giving away a free kick, the ball was heavier, and the pitches muddier, which they had to be extremely brave.

Please read my initial post as I think you missed the Len Weare comment.

Cheers
Yes indeed, I missed that.

wattsville_boy wrote:Like Stan I like to see a goalkeeper that is vocal to his defence, organises them and knows when to come to claim the ball and when to leave it to others. Whenever I have seen Bittner play he possesses some of these qualities (but not all) but Day possesses few of these qualities but is with little doubt a good shot stopper. Bittner is almost certainly a better judge of goalkeepers than me and knows where Days strengths and weaknesses lie and is no doubt coaching him in areas where he can improve. Is Bittner a good goalkeeping coach? Does anyone on here really know? He's a competent goalkeeper at this level and could fill in short term should Day become injured. And he can coach goalkeepers. A better goalkeeping coach should we need one is probably low down on Flynn's list of priorities on a tight budget so the current situation will remain until either Day or Bittner are attracted elsewhere.

Could Joe Day play at a higher level? Yes. Would he be any good at a higher level? None of us know. But an interesting question would be to ask how many of the 30 league goals conceded by County this season so far have been through poor goalkeeping, poor defending, poor officiating, terrific play from the opposition or any combination of the above? Perhaps under forensic examination Day may not come out as well as people think.
Possibly I am incorrect but cannot remember any reports of Joe being responsible for any goals this season certainly at home maybe away but do not remember reading any such comments.
Last year he did cause a few and the manager giving him some stick pre Flynny though

Harps62 wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:Like Stan I like to see a goalkeeper that is vocal to his defence, organises them and knows when to come to claim the ball and when to leave it to others. Whenever I have seen Bittner play he possesses some of these qualities (but not all) but Day possesses few of these qualities but is with little doubt a good shot stopper. Bittner is almost certainly a better judge of goalkeepers than me and knows where Days strengths and weaknesses lie and is no doubt coaching him in areas where he can improve. Is Bittner a good goalkeeping coach? Does anyone on here really know? He's a competent goalkeeper at this level and could fill in short term should Day become injured. And he can coach goalkeepers. A better goalkeeping coach should we need one is probably low down on Flynn's list of priorities on a tight budget so the current situation will remain until either Day or Bittner are attracted elsewhere.

Possibly I am incorrect but cannot remember any reports of Joe being responsible for any goals this season certainly at home maybe away but do not remember reading any such comments.
Last year he did cause a few and the manager giving him some stick pre Flynny though
I think Joe is superb and it is not in my DNA to single out a County player for blame but against Carlisle I can recall a couple of sloppy goals in which he had a part to play in. He has been magnificent overall in the past two seasons - stay where you are Joe.

Harps62 wrote:

So you're saying that Day was blameless for all 30 goals conceded. That's some claim!!

I've noticed over the last few games that opposition forwards have 'sussed him' out. He does like to kick from the floor rather than out of his hands and the forwards now 'mark' him when he has the ball in his hands. We could do with adopting a Man City approach and having our two full-backs on each side of the box to try and drag players away from him.

That said, I do like him but he definitely needs to work on his distribution. Most goalkeepers are great shot-stoppers, that's what got them the job in the first place.

Willthiswork wrote:I've noticed over the last few games that opposition forwards have 'sussed him' out. He does like to kick from the floor rather than out of his hands and the forwards now 'mark' him when he has the ball in his hands. We could do with adopting a Man City approach and having our two full-backs on each side of the box to try and drag players away from him.

That said, I do like him but he definitely needs to work on his distribution. Most goalkeepers are great shot-stoppers, that's what got them the job in the first place.
Well spotted from the floor his kicking is better rather than gathering snow with his punts.
That's why he needs proper coaching.

wattsville_boy wrote:
Harps62 wrote:

So you're saying that Day was blameless for all 30 goals conceded. That's some claim!!
No I said I haven't heard it reported that any goal was his fault this year or actually seen any bloomers by him either.
Have you?

Bush wrote:I like day always have but he's easily replaceable as is all our players. Silly to say otherwise. None of our players are in the top 100 in their position in the country so there's always opportunity to improve.
IMO opinion that's nuts Bush
100 league keepers better than him so that's all 4 divisions plus Nationwide and he is below all of them
Like I said nuts.
Easily replaceable again nuts on a free as we have no transfer funds.
Again I stress IMO