Re: Boss Jones: Dragons set for video nasty after Benetton

The Newport wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
pembsexile wrote:This must be one of the most ridiculous threads ever. It started off with a comment about the Dragons on field problems. I thought this was a football forum. Everything else section surely?

The WRU and RP money situation has been discussed on another thread.

The County on field problems has been dragged into it within about 6 posts. Crazy.
Init Mike we don't want peanut hugging on here :roll:

I didn't expect anything different from you both.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_football

Such negative attitudes about most things in your life. It's all me, me, me, you are both quite selfish really. Think about other people that might like both sports for a change. And I'm not saying that I like both sports. Here's something to think about, how did you feel when Wales played England last Saturday and beat them? I feel sorry for your wife's or partners. No wonder this world is in such a mess.
You really are a bore

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:It’s great you like both sports, I like a load of different sports, however this is the ‘Newport County natter and football chatter’ page, and the Dragons are neither so surely it should be in the ‘everything else’ section.
Although he negates the point by his later posts the financial position of our Dragons is rightly our concern because if they are not viable it is relevant because we play at Rodney Parade. If Dragons fail then our licence is put in even greater jeopardy.

It is perhaps inevitable that threads tend to overlap. There are three topics of late which dominate. The Cup run, which was great. The slightly disappointing league form. I say slightly because after two years ago a couple of seasons of mid table obscurity is acceptable. And thirdly that nagging doubt of what our future holds with respect to stadium.

For me that last topic has always been my main concern. Our failure to address it my main criticism. I am heartened that more people are seeing the problem, I only hope we act before it's too late.

As Mike already pointed out mate the original post was about Dragons on field and we’ve already been discussing the off field problems on another thread.

Until another Tony Brown comes ( not that I believe that will ever happen again ) , I dont foresee the Dragons 'on field' problems improving...
I believe the RFU only bought RP to make money on it and have no interest in the Dragons as a top flight region .I believe they only want them to use them as a 'feeder region ' for their bigger regions..Cardiff , Ospreys and Scarlet's...... I can see them trying to get another region started for North Wales at the expense of the Dragons who will be hung out to dry by the RFU.

What that means for us is anyone's guess...Will they give us a longer agreement to use RP or try selling it for profit ??
Unfortunately I see the latter happening and IMO we need to be the masters of our own destiny as it seems the Council only want us when we hit the headlines....
I believe ( I hope its already happening ) that we need to be planning for life after RP....Spytty is the only viable option to me in the short term unless we can attract a sugar daddy or someone wins the lottery

neilcork68 wrote:Until another Tony Brown comes ( not that I believe that will ever happen again ) , I dont foresee the Dragons 'on field' problems improving...
I believe the RFU only bought RP to make money on it and have no interest in the Dragons as a top flight region .I believe they only want them to use them as a 'feeder region ' for their bigger regions..Cardiff , Ospreys and Scarlet's...... I can see them trying to get another region started for North Wales at the expense of the Dragons who will be hung out to dry by the RFU.

What that means for us is anyone's guess...Will they give us a longer agreement to use RP or try selling it for profit ??
Unfortunately I see the latter happening and IMO we need to be the masters of our own destiny as it seems the Council only want us when we hit the headlines....
I believe ( I hope its already happening ) that we need to be planning for life after RP....Spytty is the only viable option to me in the short term unless we can attract a sugar daddy or someone wins the lottery
I read earlier on that a merger between the Ospreys and the Blues has been being considered as well.

Honestly, what isz the point? How much further can you concentrate the domestic scene? You may as well just enter Wales in the club competitions and have a squad of 50-odd. Then beneath that have the club scene as it was; people would actually watch it then.

The Newport wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
pembsexile wrote:This must be one of the most ridiculous threads ever. It started off with a comment about the Dragons on field problems. I thought this was a football forum. Everything else section surely?

The WRU and RP money situation has been discussed on another thread.

The County on field problems has been dragged into it within about 6 posts. Crazy.
Init Mike we don't want peanut hugging on here :roll:

I didn't expect anything different from you both.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_football

Such negative attitudes about most things in your life. It's all me, me, me, you are both quite selfish really. Think about other people that might like both sports for a change. And I'm not saying that I like both sports. Here's something to think about, how did you feel when Wales played England last Saturday and beat them? I feel sorry for your wife's or partners. No wonder this world is in such a mess.
Don't presume you know something about me when you obviously don't. Where did I say I don't like rugby? I said that this is a football forum and rugby should be discussed under 'everything else'.

Don't fell sorry for my wife either. On Saturday afternoon she was in the same room as me cheering her head off when we beat England.

neilcork68 wrote:Until another Tony Brown comes ( not that I believe that will ever happen again ) , I dont foresee the Dragons 'on field' problems improving...

The WRU have had a meeting today about finance for the regions, and it has been confirmed the number of regions is staying the same for next season.
When the Dragons was up for sale no developers were interested, which tells you all you need to know about developing the site. Basically there is more house building in Newport than anywhere else in Britain at present and all of it on sites with far less issues to resolve before bricks are laid.

In terms of the club purchasing land for a training ground that could in time be developed into a ground. Why not ask about the cabbage patch? They will probably say no, but we could still ask.

G Guest, states in the post..
"But about £2 million of this was a loss on disposal of freehold property, presumably Rodney Parade which they had agreed to sell at below book value to the WRU. "
Do you have any idea why they would agree to sell it at below book value? and do the accounts state it was below book value? I don't ask to doubt you, just wanting to know more about how the WRU got the ground at such a snip and why NRFC went along with it?

The NCFC Hippy wrote:G Guest, states in the post..
"But about £2 million of this was a loss on disposal of freehold property, presumably Rodney Parade which they had agreed to sell at below book value to the WRU. "
Do you have any idea why they would agree to sell it at below book value? and do the accounts state it was below book value? I don't ask to doubt you, just wanting to know more about how the WRU got the ground at such a snip and why NRFC went along with it?

That is a very good question. How much in total did they pay just for Rodney Parade?

How much of that money paid for any outstanding debt?

And how much of the money did Newport Rugby Club keep for themselves for running costs.

How long will Newport Rugby be allowed to stay at Rodney Parade if The Dragons went bankrupt?

What sort of protection or guarantee do Newport County and Newport Rugby Club have if things doesn't work out for The Dragons?

Bangitintrnet wrote:

The WRU have had a meeting today about finance for the regions, and it has been confirmed the number of regions is staying the same for next season.
When the Dragons was up for sale no developers were interested, which tells you all you need to know about developing the site. Basically there is more house building in Newport than anywhere else in Britain at present and all of it on sites with far less issues to resolve before bricks are laid.

In terms of the club purchasing land for a training ground that could in time be developed into a ground. Why not ask about the cabbage patch? They will probably say no, but we could still ask.
I can't find any information on their meeting today. Concerning Regional Rugby in Wales. Could you point me in right direction please?

The Newport wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:

I can't find any information on their meeting today. Concerning Regional Rugby in Wales. Could you point me in right direction please?
It was a report on Radio Wales regarding the ongoing discussions on future funding.

Bangitintrnet wrote:

Yes. The site of our new stadium has been hiding in plain sight. Thousands walk past it every match.The rugby north terrace could be developed in conjunction with the south end of the football pitch on the cabbage patch using a back to back new stand.

The NCFC Hippy wrote:G Guest, states in the post..
The whole point of selling RP to the WRU was to save it from developers and keep it for rugby. Newport Rugby was completely bankrupt with the stadium mortgaged to the hilt and cash running out and the alternative was to lose the stadium altogether. "Book value" is simply the directors' assessment of the realisable value of the asset. In this case it had probably been valued as an open market redevelopment opportunity since Newport Rugby would want to show the strongest possible balance sheet in order to encourage lenders to give them money. In the event it was sold as a sports stadium so it is not surprising that the full book value was not realised.

Newport RFC took £500k in cash out of the deal. Since the club losses £100k a year, that won't last long.

I can't find any information on their meeting today. Concerning Regional Rugby in Wales. Could you point me in right direction please?[/quote]

Only thing I could find regards next seasons Regional rugby in Wales was a statement by the Ospreys Manager, Andrew Millward that the status quo will be retained for next season 2019/2020 with all 4 regions.
However there is now an article on the BBC sport website, saying that the idea of creating a North Wales region and a reduction to 3 in South Wales for 2020/21 will be discussed over the coming months.

G Guest wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:

Yes. The site of our new stadium has been hiding in plain sight. Thousands walk past it every match.The rugby north terrace could be developed in conjunction with the south end of the football pitch on the cabbage patch using a back to back new stand.
The thing is that the council may be able to do a land swap for the cabbage patch, with something that could be developed by the Dragons elsewhere. If the cabbage patch was then leased to the County as a training ground, it could be developed by the Council, if only to have a small lean-to type stand against the squash club and Meadow Park type covered terracing. This might only be a start for us, but perhaps a suitable solution for Newport Rugby to stay at Rodney Parade.

Also as the Hazell stand and terrace will soon celebrate it's centenary, i don't think it would hurt us to apply to Cadw for listing, as it must be one of very few of that type remaining. ;-)