Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

lowandhard wrote:My view on government inaction, good job EFL had more sense
Can understand your concerns but the Chief Medical Officer of this Country is not going to be telling us porkies.
its getting daft already.

Just told schools open as normal, playtime fine but all after school activities cancelled.
Same kids, same teachers etc but stop the kids enjoyment.
Netball, hockey, sewing, football all knocked on the head, no outsiders involved in any of it.

lowandhard wrote:My view on government inaction, good job EFL had more sense
Surprised at your comments as you normally come across as an intelligent rational man. That is a misleading graph. Exponate that graph across several months and we will still be in the flat stage. That is counting the very first few days that should be ignored. Think about it rationally and I do appreciate you are in the high risk group.

phil_in_npton wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:I honestly believe this is being blown up thousands die each year because of flu yet we don't see the palava made of this

And some will say they have a vaccine for it but that every year is a clinical guess at best

Good Morning Jim

I’d be interested in your current view?

Is the whole world over reacting?

Phil in Northampton
As it stands Phil more people are dying of flu still

UPTHEPORT wrote:
phil_in_npton wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:I honestly believe this is being blown up thousands die each year because of flu yet we don't see the palava made of this

And some will say they have a vaccine for it but that every year is a clinical guess at best

Good Morning Jim

I’d be interested in your current view?

Is the whole world over reacting?

Phil in Northampton
As it stands Phil more people are dying of flu still
Yes and flu vaccine uptake is still very low with crazy myths still circulating.

Listening to the accounts of a number of frontline health professionals (based in both UK and Italy) we are in big trouble. Sod what the government says. They're more concerned with not jeopardising their post-Parliament directorships.

My employer is edging slowly towards a work from home policy but on Monday I'm going to push them clean over that edge. It's the time for action.

Edit: more accurately, we are on the cusp of big trouble.
Last edited by JonD on March 14th, 2020, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

A couple of days ago it looked like the UK government's policy (herd immunity) was sensible, e.g. allow the public not immediately infected to mingle, meet etc so that 70% of us would get the virus in a mild form, recover and then possibly be immune to getting it again in a stronger form further down the line. The government couldn't tell us that was the plan because it would be a PR disaster but, in a nutshell, that was the plan.

To some extent, by not enforcing a total lock-down (e.g. stopping us doing anything except essential food shopping, attending GP appointments etc) this policy is still continuing.

But by gambling that 70% of the community would get it and knowing that, unlike Italy, our average population age is about 50 this would inevitably also mean that many more elderly people or those with existing health problems would also get infected.

We really need the state to work quickly to find something to treat those infected and immunise others. Something like a mass flu jab programme. Without this, the chances are this will run and run, the virus will get stronger leading to higher mortality rates.

While I understand some of what the government is doing, I can't get my head round why other countries and their medical experts are introducing other measures which we're currently ignoring.

We can do introduce other measures like closing the border, encourage folk who do need to go out for essential trips to do this sensibly and quickly, plus install some sort of true community spirit so that, if I do pop to Tesco for my food shopping, I pick up some bits for my elderly relatives and neighbours while I'm there.

With reference to the flu, and obviously I’m no medical expert, but my point is that we know all about the flu, are combating it with vaccine and I don’t think it is a rapidly rising number of deaths year on year?
This current virus is spreading rapidly, we don’t know how big it’s going to get and can’t control it, it is yet to really hit the population here and some people don’t seem to be giving it enough importance.
Everyday life seems pretty normal apart from a mish mash of sport issues and a bit of shopping madness.
Once our death rates start increasing people will wake up and complain they weren’t protected until then a lot carry on in ignorance.

Phil in Northampton

I am not an expert on this virus and as a consequence whilst I have a view I don't really think my sharing it would add very much.

Two points though, much of the advice regarding hygiene, ie washing hands, coughing and sneezing into tissue etc strike me as something we should all be doing as a matter of course regardless of the virus outbreak.

Secondly caution rather than panic would seem to be in order. Yesterday in the UK 200 people died as a result of smoking. Today 200 people will die as a result of smoking and tomorrow 200 people will die as a result of smoking.