Re: IFollow

lowandhard wrote: October 26th, 2021, 6:16 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: August 11th, 2020, 12:41 pm
George Street-Bridge wrote:From the most recent minutes:

"... Specifically [as things stood at that point], we would not be able to switch off the livestream when we resume playing in front of crowds. Our view is to have an approach that offers iFollow video viewing when games are behind closed doors but with the stream switched off when matches can be played in front of crowds. However, this is not available yet but is under consideration by the EFL, along with an away match pass."
I think that difficulty which may arise is this. Most of us don't switch bank accounts or electricity suppliers, even though better deals are available. In short we are creatures of habit. Notwithstanding that watching games via the internet is not allowed in the UK or Ireland, it is available for overseas fans. And it is easily accessed within the UK.

Once people get used to watching games via the internet, many people will not return to attending live football. Cinema is a precedent for this. Star Wars is far better on the big screen but most people have only watched it on the television. Think on this for a while. It is a cold miserable day in January. You can shell out £100 to take yourself and with your daughter and son in law to drive to Newport or for a tenner you can plug your computer lead into your 56 inch flat scream TV and all watch the game in front of a roaring fire. ''Another beer Dad?'' ''Don't mind if I do, I'm not driving.''

I'm not being critical of anyone here, but as you say the times they are a changing.
That’s a very good point. While as someone pointed out there is no substitute for a match day out with friends and/or family with perhaps a drink or two 😂🙄 for those reaching a great age or who are not in the best of health iFollow is a good alternative. It’s madness not to take their shilling. Newport County TV is coming! 😂😂😂
If I remember rightly Newport County tv has been mentioned before. But can't remember who.

George Street-Bridge wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:58 am I would like i-Follow to be available as a top-up to a season ticket. So the club gets the gate revenue already, plus a tenner (or more) per home game on top.
As I understand the payment model, in the UK it is only away support that can access I-Follow, and then only after the first 500, does it add to the away clubs income?

I like the idea of a top up, but not sure how it could work?

Unless it was restricted to season ticket holders only, it would not be practical to make games available to away supporters only. Home supporters could get around the restriction by simply registering with the away club for iFollow.

I don't attend matches at the moment because I am avoiding crowds because I am exceptionally vulnerable to Covid because of ill health. But I see every league game home or away by using a VPN when necessary.

G Guest wrote: October 27th, 2021, 2:36 pm Unless it was restricted to season ticket holders only, it would not be practical to make games available to away supporters only. Home supporters could get around the restriction by simply registering with the away club for iFollow.

I don't attend matches at the moment because I am avoiding crowds because I am exceptionally vulnerable to Covid because of ill health. But I see every league game home or away by using a VPN when necessary.
Does the club still get revenue when a VPN is used? I use audio only at the moment for games I can't get to, but would use the video option - but only if I knew the club was still getting its cut.

Jonesy3 wrote: October 27th, 2021, 4:18 pm
G Guest wrote: October 27th, 2021, 2:36 pm Unless it was restricted to season ticket holders only, it would not be practical to make games available to away supporters only. Home supporters could get around the restriction by simply registering with the away club for iFollow.

Does the club still get revenue when a VPN is used? I use audio only at the moment for games I can't get to, but would use the video option - but only if I knew the club was still getting its cut.
Yes they do, but as it is 10 Euro instead of £10 it would be proportionally less.

Obviously better if it goes to the County, but even if the opposition benefit, then at least it is used on improving the standard of our league, rather than the premiership.

From the aforementioned posts, it is obvious there is a demand for virtual viewing both for those fans for whom travel costs are prohibitive as well as those for whom health risks are similarly so. We all love the County but apparently unaccountably some of us are unwilling to die for it. Who’d have thought?
Time to get virtual viewing going on a sensible basis for such fans without the stigma of using nefarious means in order to watch the games. Thoughts?

Bangitintrnet wrote: October 27th, 2021, 5:29 pm
Jonesy3 wrote: October 27th, 2021, 4:18 pm

Yes they do, but as it is 10 Euro instead of £10 it would be proportionally less.

Obviously better if it goes to the County, but even if the opposition benefit, then at least it is used on improving the standard of our league, rather than the premiership.
It's 11 euros which seems to be worth £9. 98 when it is charged to my card.

Let me be clear. I buy the video pass through the County's website in the normal way, using my usual iFollow log in which registers me as a County supporter. So there is no reason why the club would not get my money if it is a home game, just as they would if I did not use a VPN.

Yes, you are correct, I had forgotten as I have not used it much this season.
I also agree that if it is a home match that the club should benefit. However a season ticket on I-Follow seems cheap compared to a season ticket for a seat at the ground . Not making any comment on that other than I guess the rights for Sky, from which the club benefit by about a million a season, must be charged higher in the UK than similar abroad.