Re: Dark Matter

Afternoon Brendan. Nice to see you back!

I haven’t seen the Guardian article but I have seen a BBC report. I think the gist of it is this. They are not saying that Einstein is wrong, it is just that his theory of general relativity may need to be modified to take into account that there is not ‘clumping’ of matter in the universe as general relativity suggests there should be.

Accelerated inflation of the universe in the early period has given credence to the theory of the formation of galaxies as we see them. This is developed from general relativity. Fascinating stuff.

For 300 years since Newton’s death it was absolutely believed that his Laws of motion were correct and absolute. Of course they are correct, but only at the small scale. Once you move to quantum size and velocities approaching the speed of light they no longer make sense. Einstein modified them, he didn’t discard them. I suspect that the same will happen now although it is only a belief. There are no facts yet. Exciting times.

Of course, ‘Einstein may have been wrong’ has particular resonance on this board. Your subtlety has not been missed but I could not resist the temptation to talk about your uncle. :wink:

Re: Dark Matter

pembsexile wrote:Afternoon Brendan. Nice to see you back!

I haven’t seen the Guardian article but I have seen a BBC report. I think the gist of it is this. They are not saying that Einstein is wrong, it is just that his theory of general relativity may need to be modified to take into account that there is not ‘clumping’ of matter in the universe as general relativity suggests there should be.

Accelerated inflation of the universe in the early period has given credence to the theory of the formation of galaxies as we see them. This is developed from general relativity. Fascinating stuff.

For 300 years since Newton’s death it was absolutely believed that his Laws of motion were correct and absolute. Of course they are correct, but only at the small scale. Once you move to quantum size and velocities approaching the speed of light they no longer make sense. Einstein modified them, he didn’t discard them. I suspect that the same will happen now although it is only a belief. There are no facts yet. Exciting times.

Of course, ‘Einstein may have been wrong’ has particular resonance on this board. Your subtlety has not been missed but I could not resist the temptation to talk about your uncle. :wink:

Death. Newton died in his sleep in London on 20 March 1727 (OS 20 March 1726; NS 31 March 1727). His body was buried in Westminster Abbey. ... Mercury poisoning could explain Newton's eccentricity in late life.