Robinson etc

How do you all feel about this latest issue 're tweets?
Should he have been banned?
Are all those pontificating squeaky clean?
Frankly I'm fed up with Michael Vaughan especially, who is a wonderful exponent of hindsight
Of course no room for racist tweets,but do we need to get retrospective comments in some sort of context?
Flippantcy and serious comments can be easily misconstrued/muddled in intent
Thoughts anyone?

Re: Robinson etc

mad norm wrote:How do you all feel about this latest issue 're tweets?
Should he have been banned?
Are all those pontificating squeaky clean?
Frankly I'm fed up with Michael Vaughan especially, who is a wonderful exponent of hindsight
Of course no room for racist tweets,but do we need to get retrospective comments in some sort of context?
Flippantcy and serious comments can be easily misconstrued/muddled in intent
Thoughts anyone?
If years, sometimes decades later, we were all to be held accountable for the stupid things we said and did in our youth, few of us would last very long. Whilst finding the comments disgraceful, he has apologized and been publicly humiliated. I think that is punishment enough. Or if there is to be further sanction, I think there are more positive methods which could be used, rather than damaging his career.

For me the suspension is the right thing whilst they investigate it. Was it out of character and poor judgement and a one off? ... Are those the views he holds to this day? ... Are there more tweets or social media posts since that happened? etc.

Of course he's apologised........but he's only done so because he was caught out.

Having just read the tweets in question, they come across as being written by an immature lad trying to be cool, but getting it totally wrong. Not the brightest thing to do, but it hardly makes him a member of the KKK. He’s apologised so move on. Don’t destroy his career over this.

This latest trend for 'offence archaeology' is extremely disturbing - people need to think of their own sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, parents, etc. and themselves and think has anyone NOT posted a tweet, comment on a forum, sent a message/text, etc. that they might later regret? yes deeply offensive and criminal posts need to be looked at but in the main this is simply trawling through tweets, which regardless of the age of the tweeter/poster/sender – were in the main 1) old at least 5 or 6 years 2) not in the main ‘deeply’ offensive – in poor taste yes (and not funny either) – likely to deeply hurt a person of colour/woman(en) in general – hardly – in reality its a baying mob who just want some sport under the guise of ‘progressiveness’ or being ’anti-racist’ which makes it worse these people are just bullies really aren’t they – if people are concerned about racism – which is of course an issue then there are far better & more constructive ways to tackle it than slaughtering a young sportsperson for silly things they tweeted years ago at an age when they were not a full blown grown up…

The problem with this screwed-up country is this:- the same people that want to forgive the ‘Bride of Isis’ Shemima Begum because ‘she was too young to know better’ want Robinson hung, drawn & quartered because ‘he was old enough to know better’. My own personal feelings is that the ECB should have kept this in-house & not thrown him under a bus just for the sake of a few ill-advised tweets.

Dogger wrote:The problem with this screwed-up country is this:- the same people that want to forgive the ‘Bride of Isis’ Shemima Begum because ‘she was too young to know better’ want Robinson hung, drawn & quartered because ‘he was old enough to know better’. My own personal feelings is that the ECB should have kept this in-house & not thrown him under a bus just for the sake of a few ill-advised tweets.
They don't want to forgive her, they just don't think she should be stripped of her citizenship for being a brown Muslim, a worse punishment than being banned from playing a game of cricket.

The ECB has backed itself into a corner with the pitifully weak punishment of Craig Overton, the first sensible thing they could do is not pick him, then tell announce Robinson has learnt his lesson and has served his punishment.

Marky wrote:
Dogger wrote:The problem with this screwed-up country is this:- the same people that want to forgive the ‘Bride of Isis’ Shemima Begum because ‘she was too young to know better’ want Robinson hung, drawn & quartered because ‘he was old enough to know better’. My own personal feelings is that the ECB should have kept this in-house & not thrown him under a bus just for the sake of a few ill-advised tweets.
They don't want to forgive her, they just don't think she should be stripped of her citizenship for being a brown Muslim, a worse punishment than being banned from playing a game of cricket.
its a false comparison though isn’t it (poor taste tweets vs being an active member of a murderous and appalling de facto death cult) - I personally don’t think Begum is a real threat to the UK and it likely isn’t worth the millions in legal fees for the home office to deport her, but her 'crime(s)' are by any measure far worse than Robinson’s and the reaction to her is little to do with her skin colour but her unrepentant views and past actions