Football fans being 'preached' to

Whether [and lets not debate this specifically again] taking the knee, rainbow laces the compulsion for fans of men’s football to support women’s football (if you don’t like it being branded at best sexist at worst a ‘misogynist’), etc.

Now I’m not necessarily against such initiatives nor the causes or sentiments behind them (I’m a relatively progressive labour voting person who believes in social justice if nothing else) but why do football fans specifically need to be ‘educated’ on the issues of the day for so hard and for so long? Is it a barely veiled implication that we are all regressive Neanderthals? Or at the very least a disdain for a sport and fan culture that has its roots in working class culture? (is there taking the knee or rainbow laces, etc. to the extent that there is in football in [say] golf, rugby, in theatres, on TV, at music events? – answer as far as I can tell - no). I know the notion that football fans are hated by the chattering classes is a bit of a hobby horse of mine but it does seem that there is a huge focus on football fans (ironically football fans are a hugely diverse group in gender, sexuality, politics, etc. which makes the lecturing even more perverse).

Am I being OTT on banging the drum on this? not in opposition to the initiatives which are fine if done say at one or max 2 or 3 games or a few weeks (but they don’t half seem to drag on), but opposing and questioning the idea that it is fans of football specifically who somehow need [re] education on these matters?

Best not to reply with your views on the specific initiative but overall issues of this ongoing lecturing on various causes (we don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of certain issues and I know some people on here are very sensitive, perhaps for very personal & understandable reasons, to specific matters).

Re: Football fans being 'preached' to

I have to agree with the sentiments posted here. It’s always us football fans that are ‘being educated’. Stop with the politics & preaching. If that means removing poppies from shirts, so be it. I want to watch a game of football without the various ‘initiatives’. If I want to watch a political show, I’ll watch Question Time.

CC, I have mentioned lately that I like your posts and they are welcome. However, whilst I agree with the sentimentality of your post, I do not agree with the way you have written it.

The post is entitled …. Football fans being preached to. In your first paragraph you state ‘and let’s not debate this specifically again’. In your last paragraph you state, ‘ best not reply with your views on the specific initiative’.

In summary, you are not happy with fans being preached to, then advise us what not to comment on. A bit of double standards there. Posts do tend to meander but that is the very nature of this messageboard. Free speech and all that.

On a positive note, I agree with your sentiment. Football fans have had a bad press, stemming from the bad days of the 70’s and 80’s. That feeling that is in in the public domain is still around today. Hopefully we will see an upturn in the next few months.

Fu****g Covid. It has changed this country beyond measure. It will have repercussions for generations.

I quite enjoy the juxtaposition of national anthems followed by taking the knee. I'm surprised a few anti fascist heads haven't exploded pondering the rights and wrongs of it all.

It's an asinine argument to label all who oppose taking the knee as fascist sympathisers. But that's generally the card that gets played. I think the powers that be probably can't be arsed to deal with the kerfuffle, so it's here to stay.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I agree.

I have my political views but when I go to a football match I go to a football match. But here's the thing. It has to be across the board. No more taking the knee, no more poppies on shirts, no more National Anthems before kickoff.
… and no Alcohol and Sports Grounds Act. I don’t want to drink DURING a game but being banned from drinking when travelling to it is absolutely ludicrous.

lowandhard wrote:Far left cause? Racial equality? Eh? If you are talking about BLM have a look at their website, I don’t see any “ far left “ stuff.
Have you been living under a rock? BLM are an openly Marxist organisation. They have various far left policies/objectives, including defunding the police, dismantling capitalism and abolishing the nuclear family amongst many others.

Yes, those multi-millionaire footballers are definitely the leading supporters of Marxism in the country.

They've stated many time that their protest has nothing to do with BLM as an organisation, if you choose to ignore that fact, then you can only blame yourself for getting angry at players kneeling for a few seconds in the name of racial equality.

DT1892 wrote:Yes, those multi-millionaire footballers are definitely the leading supporters of Marxism in the country.

They've stated many time that their protest has nothing to do with BLM as an organisation, if you choose to ignore that fact, then you can only blame yourself for getting angry at players kneeling for a few seconds in the name of racial equality.
That’s not true though is it. The taking of the knee (in this country) started as a direct result of George Floyd’s murder (plus a few other incidents in the US) in solidarity with the BLM movement. Prem players wore the slogan on their shirts, Sky still have the slogan flash up on live games etc so it’s disingenuous to now try and row back on the link between BLM as an organisation and knee taking for anti-racism.