Re: Football fans being 'preached' to

UPTHEPORT wrote:It's 8 seconds why do people get so wound up about it
Because it’s a political gesture associated with far left politics, specifically US politics. There is absolutely no need for us to be honouring a dead career criminal, however unlawfully he died. I don’t need to told that racial inequality/ racism is a bad thing. I do accept that some people need to be told, but they will never ever change. As usual, in the UK, they are pandering to the minority rather than the majority. The current England team is about 70% black/BAME & drive about in Bentleys & Ferraris. So stop with the hypocrisy please.

Dogger wrote:
Because it’s a political gesture associated with far left politics, specifically US politics. There is absolutely no need for us to be honouring a dead career criminal, however unlawfully he died. I don’t need to told that racial inequality/ racism is a bad thing. I do accept that some people need to be told, but they will never ever change. As usual, in the UK, they are pandering to the minority rather than the majority. The current England team is about 70% black/BAME & drive about in Bentleys & Ferraris. So stop with the hypocrisy please.
Great post

pembsexile wrote:CC, I have mentioned lately that I like your posts and they are welcome. However, whilst I agree with the sentimentality of your post, I do not agree with the way you have written it.

The post is entitled …. Football fans being preached to. In your first paragraph you state ‘and let’s not debate this specifically again’. In your last paragraph you state, ‘ best not reply with your views on the specific initiative’.

In summary, you are not happy with fans being preached to, then advise us what not to comment on. A bit of double standards there. Posts do tend to meander but that is the very nature of this messageboard. Free speech and all that.

On a positive note, I agree with your sentiment. Football fans have had a bad press, stemming from the bad days of the 70’s and 80’s. That feeling that is in in the public domain is still around today. Hopefully we will see an upturn in the next few months.

Fu****g Covid. It has changed this country beyond measure. It will have repercussions for generations.
On reflection I agree but was very cautious not to offend anyone - on a previous thread on the specific issue of taking the knee I upset someone (don’t know who and its water under the bridge now) - so I just wanted to get views and start a debate on the general trend of football fans being preached to rather than [say] matters race/sexuality, etc - if that makes sense = short version I was treading very carefully and ended up sounding a bit preachy myself!

*I'm not being facetious as I know posting any views on this can [wrongly] lead to people getting the wrong idea about the poster and also that people do, understandably get very sensitive about matters race/sexuality, etc.)

What have I started! joking aside, and conscious of not sounding too 'preachy' myself (see above post) - wasn’t talking about specifics of [say] BLM or whatever - just wanted to gauge views on fans being lectured to – consensus, albeit from a small sample, is most people don’t like it but it ‘is what it is’ which is sort of my feeling too – will hopefully slowly start to change and move away from this preachy tone towards fans once we get back into football proper post covid.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Dogger wrote:
Great post
I'm not so sure I agree.

Let's leave the politics out of this. BLM is a political cause. It is one I happen to agree with. However I don't agree with taking the knee at sporting events. If we start distinguishing between causes we agree with and causes we don't then it merely causes division.

Dogger has every right not to like far left politics. I don't like Conservative politics. But when we go to a football match can't we both be spared?

Dogger wrote:
Not sure about very much of this. For me taking the knee isn't de facto linked to the murder of Floyd.

I don't really understand your reference to Bentleys and Ferraris. Or is your point that prejudice is primarily something faced by the poor?

JonD wrote:
Dogger wrote:
Not sure about very much of this. For me taking the knee isn't de facto linked to the murder of Floyd.

I don't really understand your reference to Bentleys and Ferraris. Or is your point that prejudice is primarily something faced by the poor?
Taking of the knee started last year when GF was murdered. The players wore it on their shirts and some went as far as to make the fist gesture in solidarity which is the BLM logo. As much as certain players and footballing organisations try to deny the link it's still there for all to see.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Dogger wrote:
Great post
I'm not so sure I agree.

Let's leave the politics out of this. BLM is a political cause. It is one I happen to agree with. However I don't agree with taking the knee at sporting events. If we start distinguishing between causes we agree with and causes we don't then it merely causes division.

Dogger has every right not to like far left politics. I don't like Conservative politics. But when we go to a football match can't we both be spared?
Couldn't agree more with you. Let's get behind KickitOut or similar. Fairplay to Brentford et al who have had the balls to come out and say they won't be taking the knee next season.

Countymax wrote:
Taking of the knee started last year when GF was murdered. The players wore it on their shirts and some went as far as to make the fist gesture in solidarity which is the BLM logo. As much as certain players and footballing organisations try to deny the link it's still there for all to see.
I don't think they are doing it for George Floyd. I think they are doing it to highlight racial inequality.

As Dogger points out above, it's kind of an empty gesture because hardened racists aren't going to pay a blind bit of notice, so who is it actually targeting? I am sure someone has the answer.
Last edited by JonD on June 28th, 2021, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

JonD wrote:
Dogger wrote:

Think the sentiment, and one I would agree with is, [no pun intended] rather rich of incredibly wealthy young footballers who are cosseted and don’t live in the real world and have themselves often been on the wrong side of morality and the rules (whether they came from a deprived background or not safe to say even championship/higher league 1 players are ‘comfortable’ to say the least) to be lecturing fans about anything – in fairness at least Rashford put his money/time/energy where his mouth is – many have not done so

CathedralCounty wrote:Think the sentiment, and one I would agree with is, [no pun intended] rather rich of incredibly wealthy young footballers who are cosseted and don’t live in the real world and have themselves often been on the wrong side of morality and the rules (whether they came from a deprived background or not safe to say even championship/higher league 1 players are ‘comfortable’ to say the least) to be lecturing fans about anything – in fairness at least Rashford put his money/time/energy where his mouth is – many have not done so
Clearly you are not a black man who drives around in a nice car ;)