Re: Forum Maintainence

A few hiccups since the update, I think telling of the fact that we have not upgraded the forum software in donkeys years... I will need to upgrade soon, unfortunately that will mean that the current design as we know it will have to go too and be replaced with a new generic one in the interim.

For now though, hopefully the issues have been patched up and will suffice for long enough so that I can put aside some time to sort this out properly.

Please report any bugs or errors on this thread, PM or to the forum email weareexilesforum@gmail.com

Thanks for your patience,
Jack

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:I recd an email from you tonight Jack, telling me this site would be taken down to fix a number of bugs, down until Saturday.

Yet, clearly, this great site is up and running. Don’t suppose it was a spam email was it?

Thanks again for your work and efforts Jack
That was from me mate, the fix didn't take as long as I would have imagined. Still lots to do though and whilst I'm at this point, I'm tempted to power through and just get it done...

That is to say, that between now and Saturday we may yet experience more downtime.

I was going to post most of the following regarding the TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS issue just as you took the site down yesterday. Not sure it'll be of use now that things appear largely resolved, but just in case it does give you some added clues, I found the following over the last few days.

When the site was up and having issues and after initially being put back up, I could always get to this site (no TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS issue) by:

1. following the link on the Twitter page;
2. manually entering the url in any browser address bar;
3. right clicking in my password manager and requesting the url to open in 'xyz' browser;
4. using DuckDuckGo in any browser to search for "newport exiles" and hitting the search result link.

Until yesterday morning, I could not get to this site if I used Google or Bing to search for "newport exiles" in any browser (even in private mode), getting the TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error page, even after clearing the browser caches and cookies.

Yesterday, before you took the site down, a Bing search for "newport exiles" became successful after a very brief flash of what look like a string of 3** page errors, but linking from Google search results still failed with the TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error page.

Now, following a Google search result link for "newport exiles" is successful, and Bing no longer produces the brief flash of 3** page errors.

Desktop browser: Vivaldi (4.1.*.*/Chrome engine/user agent 92.0.*.*); also used Edge and Firefox
Android browser: Chrome