Re: Cardiff City vs County

Ugo. wrote:
rncfc wrote:
Ugo. wrote:
rncfc wrote:Football has evolved since 1973.

Distribution is more important now for any number of reasons. Less physical contact allowed, pitches are better, technical ability is better due to more full time players, and so on.

Comparing football in the early 70s to the game we see today is not a comparison worth pondering over.
Yes, and obviously in 1973, Goalies were allowed to pick the ball up from a back pass. Distribution is one of the key skills a GK can have in today's game. Unfortunately it is why Joe Day is back in League 2. A great shot stopper but unlike in 1973 that is not enough.
He'd still be my number 1 on Saturday. A tough call on Townsend who has been excellent, but Day is too good for this division - indifferent distribution or not.
I agree that he will be number 1 and he is a fine goalkeeper but for people to suggest distribution isn't important are clearly wrong.
Agreed.

rncfc wrote:Football has evolved since 1973.

Distribution is more important now for any number of reasons. Less physical contact allowed, pitches are better, technical ability is better due to more full time players, and so on.

Comparing football in the early 70s to the game we see today is not a comparison worth pondering over.

The basics have not altered. The idea is to score and prevent the opposition scoring. If you look at what Jennings said there is a nuance to it. He did not say that distribution was not important, what he said was distribution was a bonus.

By way of example. We would all be delighted if Newport County signed a 20 goal a season striker. If we had a striker who tracked back, made goals for others and scored 20 goals a season of course that would be better. But, and this is the point, if we were offered a 20 goal a season striker and he did f@ck all else, we'd welcome him with open arms.

Being a good shot stopper is, one would assume, the bare minimum for someone earning a living as a goalkeeper.

Day is certainly a good shot stopper.

Unless the other aspects of his goalkeeping - his command of the area/cross handling/distribution have improved significantly during his time on the bench or picking them out of the net at Bristol Rovers then his place in the side will largely be attributable to him being one of MF's favourites.

(Is my contentious opinion) ;)

Good discussion this. Now, I am not one to criticise the great Pat Jennings but goalkeeping and football have moved on from the ‘clown ‘era. I just think that distribution nowadays is required as more than just a bonus. It is a requirement for a top class keeper.

If you are an excellent shot stopper you will get recognised and get your chance at a higher level. If you don’t have decent distribution you will be found out as Day has. It is to our benefit that he will use his shot stopping prowess at the County. If he can improve his distribution we will benefit.

Edit. It must be stated obviously that if Joe’s distribution was better, he would not be playing for us. Good keeper, particularly at our level.

JonD wrote:Being a good shot stopper is, one would assume, the bare minimum for someone earning a living as a goalkeeper.

Unless the other aspects of his goalkeeping - his command of the area/cross handling/distribution have improved significantly during his time on the bench or picking them out of the net at Bristol Rovers then his place in the side will largely be attributable to him being one of MF's favourites.

For me I think and speaking as an extremely mediocre goalkeeper in my youth, that shot stopping is the easiest part of goalkeeping. Flinging yourself sideways and fingertipping the ball over the bar is n ot nearly as difficult as it looks. Which is why poor teams seem to have great goalkeepers. As in, I know we won 6-0 but if it wasn't for their keeper we would have scored 10. And as I said above it's a bonus if you can distribute well. But the test is, do you sto the other side from scoring?

One thought, goalkeeping is harder these days as the ball moves around a lot more. Having said than look at a Youtube video of the 1957 Cup final. The goal stood. Today you'd be sent off for clobbering a 'keeper like that.

JonD wrote:Being a good shot stopper is, one would assume, the bare minimum for someone earning a living as a goalkeeper.

And that’s where I am with this. I once ( to my eternal disgrace ) said this during a game “ Day wouldn’t come with Beyoncé bouncing up and down on his lap “ and I still, for my sins, still think that. Townsend is the better all round keeper for control of area, coming for crosses, sweeper-keeper and distribution. That means that indubitably Day will probably get selected as first choice like Willmott will be selected in midfield :twisted: I’ll have to live with it until it gets too bleeding obvious to everyone on the planet.