Flynn Years

So here we are again early season at a cross roads owing to a performance that lacked passion. Flynn has his supporters and detractors what is the verdict on his time in charge:

Started very well may have been a fortunate penalty against Notts County but he kept us up.
Cup runs have been great, good effort from the players we all know Robbie likes a camera but the pitch and facilities helped us both improved now and Southampton happened.
Play off finals but set up, tactics etc. equals two losses last season I saw County players enjoying themselves waving at family etc Flynn dressed for the pub - Morecambe looked deadly serious and professional.
We have earned more money from cup runs than any other L2 side in recent times:
Promotion - No
Improved training facilities to help attract players - No
Poor signings - players never or seldom played - Yes
Poor loan signings - again players not played or paying someone else’s problem - Yes
Exciting squad playing good football - No
Players isolated for no apparent reason - Yes
No hopers with us going on to shine elsewhere- Yes
Legacy from cup runs and money made - No
Elite agency getting rich - Yes

Make your own mind up - for me time for a change.

Re: Flynn Years

County ranger wrote:So here we are again early season at a cross roads owing to a performance that lacked passion. Flynn has his supporters and detractors what is the verdict on his time in charge:

Started very well may have been a fortunate penalty against Notts County but he kept us up.
Cup runs have been great, good effort from the players we all know Robbie likes a camera but the pitch and facilities helped us both improved now and Southampton happened. We played good football last season on a decent pitch, the decline set in once the pitch failed.
Play off finals but set up, tactics etc. equals two losses last season I saw County players enjoying themselves waving at family etc.
jesus wept - we made two consecutive play-off finals, we lost to a single goal again. You criticise the players for waving at family at a Wemblet play-off final?
Flynn dressed for the pub - Morecambe looked deadly serious and professional. Ive never heard such bollocks, his failings are down to casual dress? - suggest you have a look around the managers across all leagues and base their success on their dress code?
We have earned more money from cup runs than any other L2 side in recent times Is that bad thing then?:
Promotion - No Relegation - No
Improved training facilities to help attract players - No - Got a spare £million to chuck about have we?
Poor signings - players never or seldom played - Yes - Club has responded to the this by appointing a Sporting Director
Poor loan signings - again players not played or paying someone else’s problem - Yes Club has responded to the this by appointing a Sporting Director, far fewer loanees this season so far
Exciting squad playing good football - No - It's still only August !!
Players isolated for no apparent reason - Yes It's still only August !!
No hopers with us going on to shine elsewhere- Yes - Happens at every club
Legacy from cup runs and money made - No Financially stable - Yes
Elite agency getting rich - Yes - The Elite partnership has ended

Time you stopped obsessing about Flynn.

Interesting debate, and from the above, two very different opinions.

I think much of the anti-Flynn stuff arises because he doesn’t seem a very nice guy in interviews etc and can seem a bit stuck in his ways. The same traits that made many managers successful.

On the point of whether the club is financially stable, I personally think we’re just treading water - we literally have no assets of note, other than a few kits, balls and a 3-bed terraced house in Newport for new players to kip. No stadium, no training ground, no players of note we could sell. This makes the club less of a good business for investors, banks etc to throw money at. We have a small hard-core of supporters who will buy STs, kits etc and an occasion good cup run to keep the bank manager onside. We really need the council to give us a plot of unusable land with which we can build a small stadium of our own relatively cheaply otherwise we’ll be forever renting and struggling to attract good players because of the poor facilities.

County ranger wrote:So here we are again early season at a cross roads owing to a performance that lacked passion. Flynn has his supporters and detractors what is the verdict on his time in charge:

Started very well may have been a fortunate penalty against Notts County but he kept us up. Perhaps you're better off praising the form that he brought in, in such a short time otherwise we'd have been right up a certain creek, without a paddle.
Cup runs have been great, good effort from the players we all know Robbie likes a camera but the pitch and facilities helped us both improved now and Southampton happened. Wrong, Robbie plays well when played on the wing. Don't know why you're even mentioning his name. Southampton happened as we played a mixed team with no cohesion against a premier League team looking for blood. Management fault, yes.
Play off finals but set up, tactics etc. equals two losses last season I saw County players enjoying themselves waving at family etc Flynn dressed for the pub - Morecambe looked deadly serious and professional. I'm assuming you kept an eye on if Morecambe players waved at family or not? Childish statement, looking for excuses. Better off blaming the refs decisions like the rest of us.
We have earned more money from cup runs than any other L2 side in recent times: GREAT. BE POSITIVE. We are finally in a healthy position financially, let's not pi$$ the money up the wall. I'd rather see a sustainable league two club for the next ten years than sign Eoin Doyle and Paul Mullin and hope for the best over 2 years
Promotion - NoThere are another 23 clubs looking for the same thing and we've come damn close twice. Yes we should be striving for this but imagine being a Bradford fan or Exeter who have failed a lot more than us
Improved training facilities to help attract players - NoLand and building = £millions
Poor signings - players never or seldom played - Yesit's been a mixed bag the same as 91 other clubs Premier League down
Poor loan signings - again players not played or paying someone else’s problem - Yes Ben White, Antoine Semenyo, Tyreeq Bakinson, Scott Twine, Brandon Cooper, Aaron Lewis, Anthony Hartigan, Mark Harris, Regan Poole etc
Exciting squad playing good football - No some of the best football I've seen us play was last year, until the pitch ripped up
Players isolated for no apparent reason - Yesexamples? He explained about podge who has been out of form for a year
No hopers with us going on to shine elsewhere- Yes Examples? Some players will play better for other managers though
Legacy from cup runs and money made - NoSo nobody has mentioned us as giant killers and we've made no money? Contradiction...
Elite agency getting rich - Yes

Clutching at straws with a lot of your points.
It seems you've made your mind up no matter what happens.

Progress can be gradual in football and it requires some patience.

It’s often the case that clubs that stick by their manager set themselves up for a degree of success. Crewe Alex were like us in the 60s and 70s; constantly battling re-election. Dario Gradi took over and gradually built a side that ended up in the Championship. They also developed their stadium on the back of that success. Other examples are Nigel Clough at Burton and John Coleman at Accrington.

I’m happy to be realistic and watch Newport County continue to develop under Flynn. I hope he’s here for the long-term because he’s ambitious and will be pushing for improvements in training facilities and for improvements in the situation with the ground. I think the two most recent results show how much his presence has been missed. I’m looking forward to his return.

I'm really a little surprised. At away games I meet the folk's never heard of this.

Flynny as far as I'm concerned should be offered a new 10 year contract.

Took over like Addison adrift. Turned it around. Cup runs like never seen, two play-offs. Up there with Ashhurst. (And he's not from Newport).

Flynny has made the money in the fourth work, he's really respected in the game.

Don't even think of sacking a Newport boy. Cause we're going for promotion.

Mike Flynn has been Newport County's manager for about 4.5 years.

Light travels about 5.9 trillion miles in a year. In 4.5 years light travels about 27 trillion miles, which is approximately the distance to our nearest star (excluding the Sun).

So in the Flynn years, light leaving our nearest star at the start of the great escape is just arriving at Flynn's eyes.

Let's hope there's an extra sparkle in Michael Flynn's eyes at ten to five on Saturday.

Blackandamber wrote:Mike Flynn has been Newport County's manager for about 4.5 years.

Light travels about 5.9 trillion miles in a year. In 4.5 years light travels about 27 trillion miles, which is approximately the distance to our nearest star (excluding the Sun).

So in the Flynn years, light leaving our nearest star at the start of the great escape is just arriving at Flynn's eyes.

Let's hope there's an extra sparkle in Michael Flynn's eyes at ten to five on Saturday.
More like tears in everyone's eyes. The light has arrived from Proxima Centauri and MF is leaving.

For me the Flynn years will be remembered thus.

The great escape. The only thing that can be said about this is that it was a quite incredible performance. I remember leaving the Cambridge ground in February totally convinced the game was up. And that was before the 0-4 v Leyton Orient. For that alone Flynn has a massive place in our history.

Great Cup runs. Which should have made Newport County a fortune. My fear is that the money was spent/wasted trying to put a team on the field rather than develop the infrastructure of the club.

Like all managers, indeed all people, Flynn has his strengths and weaknesses. My view is that Flynn didn't really progress. Also that there was always an excuse. Some of these were valid, lack of a proper training pitch, losing his best players at the end of each season. Some less so, referees are not anti-Welsh, he picks the team, he's responsible for it.

Just my personal view. Flynn can see the train is about to hit the buffers. Whether he has engineered his dismissal or jumped of his own accord doesn't matter. I believe we are in trouble.