Re: Newport County announces partnership with IPSO scouting

George Street-Bridge wrote:It does strike me that with tighter immigration rules, international scouting will shrink and in-country recruitment become more important. No more EU journeymen.
Two points. I'm not altogether sure that of the hundreds of players on County's books these last ten years too many are what might be described as EU journeymen.

Secondly immigration rules are always easily circumvented, if you have the cash or connections. Ronaldo won't have a difficulty getting a work permit and the rules apply just as much to him as anyone else.

On topic I just don't get this tie up.

It will presumably give us access to online scouting reports, stats and video clips - nothing more.

Clubs like Brentford and any of Mark Warburton’s teams have had relative success by honing in on data on players, their injuries and how long it takes them to recover from injuries so I’m all for us joining the group, however - as always - it’s pot luck when researching a new player unless our management team also watch the player ‘live’ in 3-4 games to assess temperament, comms etc.

When the Sporting Director was appointed I did question on here that it may lead down a route to the "Moneyball" statistical analysis model.

If what you've been doing hasn't been working then you make a change. County's recruitment has largely not been working and a "Moneyball" approach may unearth some bargains (if this is that). I'm willing to see this as a positive development.

wattsville_boy wrote:When the Sporting Director was appointed I did question on here that it may lead down a route to the "Moneyball" statistical analysis model.

If what you've been doing hasn't been working then you make a change. County's recruitment has largely not been working and a "Moneyball" approach may unearth some bargains (if this is that). I'm willing to see this as a positive development.
From reading their website they seem to be an organization who train people to be football scouts. I genuinely don't understand what this has to do with advancing the progress of Newport County. Other than it seems a Dave Boddyesque I'm taking a salary I had better make it appear I'm doing something.