Re: Grandstand Harrogate Away

County ranger wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:I am surprised that we keep subbing Matty,is it tactical or is he injured.He was nominated captain so surprised if it were tactical.
Looks like Matty is the next victim of the Flynn freeze out given comments in press today “ doesn’t matter who they are” would appear to be aimed at the captain. Flynn is entitled to change and pick who he wishes, he is judged on results but I wish he would grow up and keep the comments in the dressing room - until he matures he will not progress as a manager.

The quote in the Argus:

The management responded at the break by taking off captain Matty Dolan, who was at the heart of the defence, and switching from three at the back to a flat four.

“The goals that we gave away were nowhere near good enough, and I told them that at half-time,” said Flynn.

“That’s three games now – Salford, Leyton Orient and Harrogate – where we have given away really poor goals. That’s not like us and that’s why we changed the formation by making a change at half-time.

“Anybody who understands or can see a game of football, those goals were terrible. They were awful.

“I am not going to let that continue and people will find themselves out of the team, it doesn’t matter who they are.”

Your ongoing obsession with Flynny identifies this as Matty is the next victim of the Flynn freeze out....?

Do yourself a favour, come back on this when the manager actually freezes out the player (that he made captain this season) for a month or two, not just for substituting him if he's a had a poor performance.

Flynn gets a lot of criticism for doing things that every manager in the game does. Seems he can't win with a few fans. I'm sure that Dolan has heard much worse than "people will find themselves out of the team, it doesn’t matter who they are" during his career.

Anyway, a good point away to a team in good form.

Percy plunkett wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:I am surprised that we keep subbing Matty,is it tactical or is he injured.He was nominated captain so surprised if it were tactical.
According to radio commentary we were getting overrun in midfield. Presumably Dolan hasn't got the legs to play midfield anymore so Azaz was used to tighten up the midfield.
Maybe but,we took him off Saturday as well,strange if he is the captain.
That was a direct result to combat the 6"5 Orient forward and it turned out to be a great tactical move.

Countymax wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:
According to radio commentary we were getting overrun in midfield. Presumably Dolan hasn't got the legs to play midfield anymore so Azaz was used to tighten up the midfield.
Maybe but,we took him off Saturday as well,strange if he is the captain.
That was a direct result to combat the 6"5 Orient forward and it turned out to be a great tactical move.
Putting your original tactical error right is not a great tactical move.

excessbee wrote:Orient was a mismatch of height, Harrogate was pace. Neither is going to change. Dolan didn't forge a career as a centre back for good reason. He actually jumps well to win midfield headers but if they are missed, it doesn't present a critical threat to our goal.
Dolan didn't have a problem there last year, he is one of a back 3, the problem is with the right sided center back. Norman versus Orient and Farkey against Harrogate.

Ugo. wrote:
excessbee wrote:Orient was a mismatch of height, Harrogate was pace. Neither is going to change. Dolan didn't forge a career as a centre back for good reason. He actually jumps well to win midfield headers but if they are missed, it doesn't present a critical threat to our goal.
Dolan didn't have a problem there last year, he is one of a back 3, the problem is with the right sided center back. Norman versus Orient and Farkey against Harrogate.
So your argument now is that Flynn replaced the wrong player in both matches, even though against Orient, the threat from Harry Smith was snuffed out and against Harrogate, they didn't score any further goals in the second half.

excessbee wrote:
Ugo. wrote:
So your argument now is that Flynn replaced the wrong player in both matches, even though against Orient, the threat from Harry Smith was snuffed out and against Harrogate, they didn't score any further goals in the second half.
Not necessarily with the position we were in, certainly against Orient, but think he started with the wrong back 3 in both games. Dolan is fine in the middle of a back 3 but he needs the 2 other defenders around him to cover. Not sure Norman or Farquharson are right for that. Would try Clarke there.