Re: RIP Len Ashurst

Sad news. What good times he gave those of us who were privileged to follow the club during the Ashurst era. I always remember he and Jimmy Goodfellow urging the players not to take chances with their lead at Walsall and them ignoring his instructions and continuing to attack Walsall, because he had built a team who believed they could beat anybody and were full of confidence.

Thanks Len and Rest in Peace.

Re: RIP Len Ashurst

Utterly heartbreaking news.

Full condolences to his wonderful family some I met down the days. Just a massive loss.

Definitely the greatest manager this wonderful club has ever had. No doubt.

RIP Len Ashurst.

The problem Len always had to live with was like 'Paisley' he was often thought in the shadow of Addison. Addison managed Newport County for about 18 months, I think, statoe's check that. Ashuusrt managed through all of the glory years.

An affable man an astute tactician a genius at spotting talent.

When Addison kept County up in '77, Len took us a heart-beat away from a European semi-final in '81.

Addison lured by 'Big Ron" ...'Big Len' took over in '78. A win over 'Brookings' West Ham' in a sleety but seething night in January '79' (An inch by the way from a fifth round tie against ManUtd.).Led to an eventual run for promotion. It had been coming. Sealed on an unforgettable afternoon in the Wast Midlands.

Prior: Big Len had, I believe this is true ..had been scouting for Middlesbrough. (Happy to be corrected.) He had been successful managing the likes of Sheffield Wednesday.

He played electric football, Newport crossed the rubicon with over lapping full-backs and wingers and midfielders who only passed forward. In the fourth Division.

Never really met him, but twice he shouted at me the same thing "to keep off the pitch" ( West Ham & Ton Pentre).

He went on to win The Welsh Cup, Promotion and almost the Cup Winners Cup.

A little bit of me died when I heard the news.

RIP the Old Newport County