Barry fans

I went to see Cardiff MU against Barry yesterday.They had a good following with banners behind the goal and drummers,a guy with a megaphone and plenty of singing.But for hitting the post and a good save by the keeper near half time,they created very little losing 3-0 and MU missed a few easy chances so it could have been 6-2 on clear chances.They never stopped banging the drum and cheering their team on right through to the end,very commendable.Because MU haven’t got many fans they were saying “Are we in a library “ and near the end “Your only fans are your mums and dads” and they were nearly right.There was a couple near me and a lady with her son on the other side of me,when the whistle blew,a player come over to speak to the couple and another one to the lady so other than a few fans,it is family supporting their sons.Even more amazing that,without much in the way of gate income,MU still manage to finish seventh most seasons.

Re: Barry fans

rncfc wrote:Is it that amazing in the Welsh league? Hardly anyone has any gate income. Presumably there's an element of state funding with Cardiff Met as well?
They probably get use of the pitch and training facilities for free and the players don’t get paid as such so,they save there but,the likes of Right said Fred(TNS),sorry,they are the New Saints attract players with attractive salaries and all the others are semi pro so MU are are at a disadvantage in theory regarding recruiting players so,they still do well to compete with the others.The other side of the coin says that a bunch of students and college lecturers can hold their own in the nations Premier league says that the overall standard isn’t particularly high.

The match programme pre Covid had info on the players and the majority were on courses there,some have now finished and moved on.One lad is now with Bala having completed his course another now has a position at the Uni and is still playing,Corsey is a lecturer there still,the captain Wooldridge has now taken a role in the Uni and retired from playing and others still there must be by now in their final year of the course.I didn’t get a programme yesterday,there are some new players so I guess some of those will be on a course there.Roscrow is back after finishing his course and having a unsuccessful spell as a pro at Wimbledon.He signed last January for New Saints but is on season loan at MU so,is likely to be costing them but,not many outsiders I would think.

Quite a few have stayed on after completing their course, but don't have an actual connection to the Uni anymore. Still a massive achievement for them to still be in the Cymru Premier.

Will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the season when Christian Edwards steps down.

DT1892 wrote:Quite a few have stayed on after completing their course, but don't have an actual connection to the Uni anymore. Still a massive achievement for them to still be in the Cymru Premier.

Will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the season when Christian Edwards steps down.
Why is he leaving?