Stan v's Colin

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Interesting debate, and from the above, two very different opinions.

I think much of the anti-Flynn stuff arises because he doesn’t seem a very nice guy in interviews etc and can seem a bit stuck in his ways. The same traits that made many managers successful.

On the point of whether the club is financially stable, I personally think we’re just treading water - we literally have no assets of note, other than a few kits, balls and a 3-bed terraced house in Newport for new players to kip. No stadium, no training ground, no players of note we could sell. This makes the club less of a good business for investors, banks etc to throw money at. We have a small hard-core of supporters who will buy STs, kits etc and an occasion good cup run to keep the bank manager onside. We really need the council to give us a plot of unusable land with which we can build a small stadium of our own relatively cheaply otherwise we’ll be forever renting and struggling to attract good players because of the poor facilities.

I like what you are saying. But someone on this forum banned the best chance we had of getting our stadium. I know that and so do a lot of other people do too. This person had many good ideas. I know because of whoever that person is. That person sent them to me. I had to agree to non-disclosure before that person would send them to me.
Last edited by Torquay Exile on October 1st, 2021, 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Flynn Years

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Interesting debate, and from the above, two very different opinions.

I think much of the anti-Flynn stuff arises because he doesn’t seem a very nice guy in interviews etc and can seem a bit stuck in his ways. The same traits that made many managers successful.

On the point of whether the club is financially stable, I personally think we’re just treading water - we literally have no assets of note, other than a few kits, balls and a 3-bed terraced house in Newport for new players to kip. No stadium, no training ground, no players of note we could sell. This makes the club less of a good business for investors, banks etc to throw money at. We have a small hard-core of supporters who will buy STs, kits etc and an occasion good cup run to keep the bank manager onside. We really need the council to give us a plot of unusable land with which we can build a small stadium of our own relatively cheaply otherwise we’ll be forever renting and struggling to attract good players because of the poor facilities.
As the highlighted statement could also apply to Wrexham, why do you think that they attracted a multi million pound investment from Hollywood?

I believe that our problem, despite a democratic vote to actively encourage outside investment, is that a cabal at the top the County tree enjoy the trappings of power and status too much to ever consider giving ground. That attitude I also believe is behind Flynn’s frustrations that were exposed so publicly post the playoff final.

Torquay Exile wrote:

I like what you are saying. But someone on this forum banned the best chance we had of getting our stadium. I know that and so do a lot of other people do too. This person had many good ideas. I know because of whoever that person is. That person sent them to me. I had to agree to non-disclosure before that person would send them to me.

I see Mike Flynn was at the Wales game.

I recall certain directors Mr Ward and Mr Crook saying that the club cannot run on cup money alone as it is not viable. This was after our first cup exploits and since then we have made millions from these runs. The board proposed a hybrid model of delivery and we voted in favour of this (by 75%) at which time the chairman said it was the best way forward. Nothing has happened with this and whilst the pandemic may have delayed this work we have heard nothing. Is this because we now have enough money in the bank due to cup runs we don’t need outside investment? Have Mr Crook, Ward and Foxhall changed their minds? If so why hasn’t this been transparent to us the fans? Especially as we are a fans based club and we voted so how can they change their minds if this is what has happened. If we have enough money in the bank then why are the team having to train on pitches around the area, downright embarrassing and you can appreciate why our manager gets frustrated. We are meant to be a league two club with big ambitions for moving forward and yet off the field we are still running like a non-league club and in many ways we probably operated more efficiently as a non league club than we do as a professional league club

owlsabout wrote:I recall certain directors Mr Ward and Mr Crook saying that the club cannot run on cup money alone as it is not viable. This was after our first cup exploits and since then we have made millions from these runs. The board proposed a hybrid model of delivery and we voted in favour of this (by 75%) at which time the chairman said it was the best way forward. Nothing has happened with this and whilst the pandemic may have delayed this work we have heard nothing. Is this because we now have enough money in the bank due to cup runs we don’t need outside investment? Have Mr Crook, Ward and Foxhall changed their minds? If so why hasn’t this been transparent to us the fans? Especially as we are a fans based club and we voted so how can they change their minds if this is what has happened. If we have enough money in the bank then why are the team having to train on pitches around the area, downright embarrassing and you can appreciate why our manager gets frustrated. We are meant to be a league two club with big ambitions for moving forward and yet off the field we are still running like a non-league club and in many ways we probably operated more efficiently as a non league club than we do as a professional league club
What is wrong with the base at SP

Been double booked a few times leaving us no where to train hense why we were over caerleon afc ground last Friday. No disrespect to caerleon but that pitch is not the best .easy pick up injuries on surfaces like those .apparently happened a few times .trained at undy cwmbran liswerry

owlsabout wrote:I recall certain directors Mr Ward and Mr Crook saying that the club cannot run on cup money alone as it is not viable. This was after our first cup exploits and since then we have made millions from these runs. The board proposed a hybrid model of delivery and we voted in favour of this (by 75%) at which time the chairman said it was the best way forward. Nothing has happened with this and whilst the pandemic may have delayed this work we have heard nothing. Is this because we now have enough money in the bank due to cup runs we don’t need outside investment? Have Mr Crook, Ward and Foxhall changed their minds? If so why hasn’t this been transparent to us the fans? Especially as we are a fans based club and we voted so how can they change their minds if this is what has happened. If we have enough money in the bank then why are the team having to train on pitches around the area, downright embarrassing and you can appreciate why our manager gets frustrated. We are meant to be a league two club with big ambitions for moving forward and yet off the field we are still running like a non-league club and in many ways we probably operated more efficiently as a non league club than we do as a professional league club
I think this 'vote' is a bit of a myth. As I recall, there was a pretty unscientific survey about ownership models that came back with a majority in favour of 'hybrid' (whatever that means), but I'm pretty sure there's never been a formal vote of Trust members on ownership. There would have to be to change it, and I for one would vote against it. There were then some workshops to discuss what 'hybrid' means and how it might work. I went to one at Bar Amber. About 3 people turned up. Last thing I recall on the subject was one of those Q&A sheets on everyone's seats at an open meeting at Rodney Parade that said the idea was being parked due to lack of interest from Trust members. I'll see if I can find it cos I'm a bit of a hoarder and keep stuff like that from meetings. Will post it here if I can find it.

That's pretty much what I said. A survey of supporters, but there's never been an official vote of Trust members to change the ownership model.

Found the stuff from the open meeting on 30th January last year (I know it's sad I keep this stuff - my missus uses words other than 'sad'!). The bit in the sheet left on everyone's seat said this:

Q: What is happening with the ownership model?
A: As explained at the last open meeting, a workshop for Trust members on the ownership model was poorly attended and there was no real appetite among those who did attend for a change to the current ownership model. Therefore, the Board’s focus has moved to other matters. That is not to say, however, that any offer for the club would not be seriously considered by the Board and, if appropriate, put to a vote of Trust members.

Jonesy3 wrote:
That's pretty much what I said. A survey of supporters, but there's never been an official vote of Trust members to change the ownership model.

Found the stuff from the open meeting on 30th January last year (I know it's sad I keep this stuff - my missus uses words other than 'sad'!). The bit in the sheet left on everyone's seat said this:

A: As explained at the last open meeting, a workshop for Trust members on the ownership model was poorly attended and there was no real appetite among those who did attend for a change to the current ownership model. Therefore, the Board’s focus has moved to other matters. That is not to say, however, that any offer for the club would not be seriously considered by the Board and, if appropriate, put to a vote of Trust members.
I have already stated that someone had some ideas, but unfortunately, I can't disclose those ideas. I had to agree to a non-disclosure. It would be a good idea to put together our group of people (like a committee independent of the club).

Torquay Exile wrote:
Jonesy3 wrote:

I have already stated that someone had some ideas, but unfortunately, I can't disclose those ideas. I had to agree to a non-disclosure. It would be a good idea to put together our group of people (like a committee independent of the club).
Why not raise the issue at the next meeting or contact the Trust to put it on the agenda if you are a Trust Member.

Mr Figo wrote:
Torquay Exile wrote:
Jonesy3 wrote:

Why not raise the issue at the next meeting or contact the Trust to put it on the agenda if you are a Trust Member.
I shouldn't have to ask the trust to get involved. Does the trust need to get involved? We need an independent committee, don't you agree?