Re: Let's Applaud Mike & Len

Blackandamber wrote:I think it would be a nice gesture if we had a minute's applause for Mike and Len after 40 minutes and 82 minutes, respectively. They were arguably the County's best ever managers.
I think the same response for a death and a manager resigning would be a bit of an odd combination. Len Ashurst before kick off would be appropriate, not Michael Flynn.

excessbee wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I think it would be a nice gesture if we had a minute's applause for Mike and Len after 40 minutes and 82 minutes, respectively. They were arguably the County's best ever managers.
I think the same response for a death and a manager resigning would be a bit of an odd combination. Len Ashurst before kick off would be appropriate, not Michael Flynn.
I probably won't be around when Mr Flynn passes away, so I will give my own appreciation after 40 minutes.

Blackandamber wrote:
excessbee wrote:
I probably won't be around when Mr Flynn passes away, so I will give my own appreciation after 40 minutes.

pembsexile wrote:Not sure this would be a nice gesture at all. They both should be celebrated but at different occasions. One died, the other left. No similarity at all.
As Brendan would say, it's all about opinions. Both have been great managers. Do we have to wait another 30, 40, 50 or how many years before showing our appreciation for MF?

Anyway, the most likely occurrence is that there will be a minute's silence or applause for Len Ashurst before kick off.

Blackandamber wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Not sure this would be a nice gesture at all. They both should be celebrated but at different occasions. One died, the other left. No similarity at all.
As Brendan would say, it's all about opinions. Both have been great managers. Do we have to wait another 30, 40, 50 or how many years before showing our appreciation for MF?

Anyway, the most likely occurrence is that there will be a minute's silence or applause for Len Ashurst before kick off.
Opinions indeed, yours and mine are different that’s all. No problemo, or, no sweat as Prince Andrew would say.

I am not saying with whom in this debate I would side. But as my name is mentioned and being a pretentious egotistical dickhead :shock: I think I need to clarify my position.

It is absolutely correct that everyone is entitled to their opinion and to express that opinion. This is so whether the view is widely held: that we all love our mothers or less widely held: Graeme Westley was a great manager but misunderstood.

However we are not entitled not to have our views challenged. Further if we actually bother to read that which is written you often come to a more nuanced view on a topic. And we all learn when we are wrong, not when we're right.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I am not saying with whom in this debate I would side. But as my name is mentioned and being a pretentious egotistical dickhead :shock: I think I need to clarify my position.

It is absolutely correct that everyone is entitled to their opinion and to express that opinion. This is so whether the view is widely held: that we all love our mothers or less widely held: Graeme Westley was a great manager but misunderstood.

However we are not entitled not to have our views challenged. Further if we actually bother to read that which is written you often come to a more nuanced view on a topic. And we all learn when we are wrong, not when we're right.
Good afternoon Stan. I was actually referring to my good friend Brendan. Do you know him Stan?

Blackandamber wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:I am not saying with whom in this debate I would side. But as my name is mentioned and being a pretentious egotistical dickhead :shock: I think I need to clarify my position.

Good afternoon Stan. I was actually referring to my good friend Brendan. Do you know him Stan?
I do. Lovely fellow and very good looking.

Sorry, Flynn is nowhere near the class or the achievements of Sir Len. Flynn also lags well behind Edinburgh, Addison and Lucus.

Amberexile wrote:I'll show my appreciation for Mike Flynn when he comes back to RP with his new team.
That now seems to be the logical end to this chapter. He can hardly be given a rousing (or otherwise) reception in the course of a match for which someone else is responsible for the selecting and organisation of the team.