Re: Mike Powell

Mike played in the 70’s,mainly in the Welsh League but did make some first team games around 75.He made his debut at Scunthorpe I think,the same day as Mervin Cawston and had a few games here and there but,a few seasons in the reserves.He was a regular at games over the Bisley before Covid,haven’t seen him this season.Long career for Barry and Caerleon but,not in goals.

County used to sign players on Welsh League forms to give stability to that side and be on standby if injuries occur in the first team.Mike Hayes was another one who had a few first team games.Jeff White and Phil Guilfoyle had a few seasons in the reserves but,unlike the two Mikes,didn’t get a first team appearance.

UPTHEPORT wrote:This guy was adamant he was a keeper said he played in the 80s also played for Abergavenny Thursdays as well
He may have played for the reserves or youth but,not for the first team,possibly a first team friendly but,I don’t recall him and I am an anorak.

According to Tony Ambrosen, Mike Powell was an outfield defender not a goal-keeper. He signed for County on amateur forms in 1971 and as a non-contract player in 1976. And again as a non-contract player in 1984.He made 7 appearances in the 4th division and 1 cup appearance in 1975/6 but otherwise played in the reserves.