Re: Bar Amber

I bought two pints in the 100 club bar last Saturday. They were a fiver each. Maybe I'm getting old but I feel sure it used to be a heck of a lot cheaper to drink in Bar Amber, plus one felt the money was by and large going to County.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Nice try, but my analysis is along different lines.

It's a comment on the tinfoil-hat suggestion that the WRU would strong-arm us out of reopening our own bar on pain of kicking us out. Just when they have a reported £1m pitch investment to pay for and we are the only possible tenant.
George,

We disagree. Rather than resort to sarcasm let's try debating shall we?

Your argument is the WRU need us as much as we need them. Very well let's examine that factually.

Now let us say Jim's lottery comes up. Armed with £75,000,000 Newport County build a modern 15,000 seat stadium, complete with conference rooms, squash courts, gyms swimming pools and hotel. Do you think that would cause the WRU to potentially go bust? Neither do I. However if the WRU were to not renew Newport County's license to play at Rodney Parade, do you believe County could continue as a League club? Neither do I.

For the reason given above I simply don't think they need us as much as we need them. It may be expedient for the WRU to have Newport County's rent. However having Newport County at Rodney Parade is an inconvenience. So it comes down to money.

Let's now develop this point. No doubt you would find £1,000 useful. If I were to offer you £1,000 to sleep on your sofa for the next 12 months, I suspect you would turn the offer down. Clearly £1,000 would not compensate for you having to put up with my smiling features every morning.

George if I were to offer you £1,000,000 to sleep on your sofa for a twelvemonth, you'd tuck me in at night and bring me a cup of tea in the morning.

My belief is that the WRU are at present agreeable to having Newport County at Rodney Parade. That the WRU will continue to juice us. And that when it suits they will give us notice. The leverage of our rent is simply not enough to give us any long term security.

PMG wrote:Was it a good idea to move to RP or should we have stayed at Spytty ???
Best thing we ever did
We wouldn’t have a club in the football league now
Mr Blight and Mr Greenhaf we take our hats of to you
Neither.

What we should have done is started to develop a stadium fit for purpose in 1995 when it was clear that Spytty would never be a League standard stadium. And for that we are all to blame.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
PMG wrote:Was it a good idea to move to RP or should we have stayed at Spytty ???
Best thing we ever did
Neither.

What we should have done is started to develop a stadium fit for purpose in 1995 when it was clear that Spytty would never be a League standard stadium. And for that we are all to blame.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I have a sneaky feeling that had we achieved that by the turn of the century we would probably have been bankrupt, or at least in non-league and back at Spytty by now.

We've been through any number of difficult financial situations since 1995 (think I can remember 4 off the top of my head), all of which were under private ownership. I've little doubt the ground would have been re-mortgaged or (for example) put up as collateral by Les for loans he was making, and we've have ended up in the shit.

I do agree we need our own ground, but the fact it wasn't done in the mid 90s isn't necessarily the bad thing it might appear at first glance.

rncfc wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Best thing we ever did
Neither.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I have a sneaky feeling that had we achieved that by the turn of the century we would probably have been bankrupt, or at least in non-league and back at Spytty by now.

We've been through any number of difficult financial situations since 1995 (think I can remember 4 off the top of my head), all of which were under private ownership. I've little doubt the ground would have been re-mortgaged or (for example) put up as collateral by Les for loans he was making, and we've have ended up in the shit.

I do agree we need our own ground, but the fact it wasn't done in the mid 90s isn't necessarily the bad thing it might appear at first glance.
I agree insomuch as we should not, if we had a paid for stadium, re-mortgage it. Which is why I have always advocated that we develop a stadium, that we develop the infrastructure. I do appreciate that if you are a director there are always short term demands. And they are difficult to deal with.

About a year ago I suggested to a poster on here who maintained that this couldn't be done that we should at least try. It led to the formation of a group who moved this on. Unfortunately some members of the group insisted on having meaningful talks with the club. My view was that for understandable reasons club directors with day to day concerns would try to shut down the group.

Which is exactly what happened.

We do need to develop a stadium and someone of vision to see that it can't be achieved overnight.

whoareya wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
whoareya wrote:Having tried several times to initiate this, do you now accept that there is no appetite for it, aside from your own?
No.
So why hasn't it happened?
In my view because there is always a tension between the short term expediency and the long term requirements. And unfortunately in Newport generally and with County in particular, the short term easy option is the one which is taken.

Fu Ming wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
rncfc wrote:Pretty sure it's being looked into but there are some delays with the guy who owns the place.
Thanks mate not much competition with Riverside shut as well

Didn’t know that Jim. It’s while since I have been over. The Riverside used to be a good County place, great after game meeting place as well.
I walk over the bridge Mike and in that area only the pod is open on the right as you walk

So a great opportunity for a short term lease because these buildings are laying empty perhaps a cheeky offer
I think you will find The Dodger is open, its only just around the corner and not much further to walk from town.
When I walk in from malpas I want something in that area

Me personally I'm not keen on drinking before a game as you usually need the bog and I go to a match to watch 90 minutes
But I know drinking before a match is popular so is the club missing out

Justanordinaryfan wrote:Tbh I’d heard (nothing official) that the board didn’t want to renew the lease/have Baramber reopen , I feel Stan might not be too far wrong with his analysis.
From what I recall the board ended the lease at the start of the pandemic a very good move but now everyone is getting back to normal well 99 percent are there are two options the Bush the Riverside