Re: Bar Amber

Justanordinaryfan wrote:Tbh I’d heard (nothing official) that the board didn’t want to renew the lease/have Baramber reopen , I feel Stan might not be too far wrong with his analysis.
Perhaps they want us to JustEat....

Alternatively they may be considering the risk of more restriction on indoor gatherings and being left with a lease to honour.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
whoareya wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
whoareya wrote:Having tried several times to initiate this, do you now accept that there is no appetite for it, aside from your own?
No.
So why hasn't it happened?
In my view because there is always a tension between the short term expediency and the long term requirements. And unfortunately in Newport generally and with County in particular, the short term easy option is the one which is taken.
So there's not enough of an appetite then?

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Justanordinaryfan wrote:Tbh I’d heard (nothing official) that the board didn’t want to renew the lease/have Baramber reopen , I feel Stan might not be too far wrong with his analysis.
From what I recall the board ended the lease at the start of the pandemic a very good move but now everyone is getting back to normal well 99 percent are there are two options the Bush the Riverside
At the time of the pandemic that was probably the truth and since it’s the easy line to spin …. I’ve heard that the BOD don’t want to pursue it going forward, I felt Stans analogy could be correct, if we are seeking an extension to our lease at RP, the WRU are hardly gonna want a facility where the supporters of a Newport County are using to the detriment of takings at the stadium. Would it make much of a difference ? I couldn’t answer as I didnt use Baramber that much and I only drink the odd beer at RP.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
whoareya wrote:
So there's not enough of an appetite then?
Rather than clog up this thread with a pointless argument why don't you endorse my request to Jim to organize a poll? That way we both might learn something
Clog up a thread with pointless argument? Oh the irony.

There's no need to organize a poll, you've already decided what the answer is.

Several times.......

UPTHEPORT wrote:
From what I recall the board ended the lease at the start of the pandemic a very good move but now everyone is getting back to normal well 99 percent are there are two options the Bush the Riverside

From what I remember they were losing money.

I would like to see Bar Amber back open for us as a revenue stream.
However I am not sure where some people are getting the idea that RP/WRU are going to hold it against us from.
As for having a pint or 2 before the game there are plenty of pubs in town Carpenters, Cross Keys Potters etc and an easy stroll to the ground.
I prefer to sit and drink in one of those pubs in relative comfort than stand queueing under The Compeed stand to drink out of a plastic beaker being pushed and shoved.
As many of you are aware many county fans do drink in town preferring it to drinking under the stand.

We took a short lease on Bar Amber,it proved to be highly successful on match days but,empty the rest of the week.The previous owner of the Ivy,who I think is a County fan,gave that as his decision to close it,it was unsustainable.Talking of County fans,didn’t another one,who used to have the Royal Mail,run the Riverside for a while.Why did he leave,probably for the same reason as the Ivy guy.We had a lease on the King in Lliswerry,as a pub it was losing money.We took it on because we used it for office space,boardroom,storage for kit and shop stock.The SC and Lifeline Society had a room there also.It would have costed more to hire separate accommodation for these other things so,taking on a pub meant that the small bar takings helped to fund the rest.When we came back to Newport we relinquished the King as we now had space at Spytty for club requirements.Pubs are a dying breed and will continue to struggle to survive.I live in Rogerstone,there were once ten pubs that I can remember,there are now two left.Anyone reading this can probably list many watering holes that are no more.Ask yourselves why,before you suggest taking on the Riverside.