Can we have a poll?

Interesting point raised by Whoareya in another thread.

Can I ask if we could have a poll to gage opinion?

If Newport County were to ask the following, how would you respond?

Newport County are a fans club. As such we take account of fans views. There is at Newport County a limited amount of cash. If we were to concentrate on developing our infrastructure in terms of providing proper training facilities and a fit for purpose stadium it is a sad fact that we will not have the funds to put the best possible team on the pitch. Certainly in the short term. However by the same token, if we do not put a proper infrastructure in place, we are only two bad seasons from Tier 6 where we spent the first 15 years or so of our new existence, and very possibly stuck at that level long term.
So do you think a) Newport County should put out the best possible team; or b) begin to put resources into the development of the club.?
The club would also be grateful for you reasoning.

Re: Can we have a poll?

If the Trust contributions came with options on where we'd like to see our money spent I doubt many would tick the box for spending it on accumulating 30-odd professionals, many of whom won't get within a country mile of a league game. That seems so wasteful. I'd like some contributions to be diverted into infrastructure-related projects, even if was buying a few small terraced houses to generate an income stream.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Interesting point raised by Whoareya in another thread.

Can I ask if we could have a poll to gage opinion?

If Newport County were to ask the following, how would you respond?

Newport County are a fans club. As such we take account of fans views. There is at Newport County a limited amount of cash. If we were to concentrate on developing our infrastructure in terms of providing proper training facilities and a fit for purpose stadium it is a sad fact that we will not have the funds to put the best possible team on the pitch. Certainly in the short term. However by the same token, if we do not put a proper infrastructure in place, we are only two bad seasons from Tier 6 where we spent the first 15 years or so of our new existence, and very possibly stuck at that level long term.
So do you think a) Newport County should put out the best possible team; or b) begin to put resources into the development of the club.?
The club would also be grateful for you reasoning.

I agree with Stan without good infrastructure. We don't have a club or business. I also agree with a poll. Let the fans decided on what they like first.

a) a successful team that can get us a promotion.

b) A good infrastructure and successful business and then a team that would take us to the championship within five years.

In the messageboard's FAQs it states:

How do I create a poll?
When posting a new topic or editing the first post of a topic, click the “Poll creation” tab below the main posting form; if you cannot see this, you do not have appropriate permissions to create polls.

So who does have the appropriate permissions to create polls?

Blackandamber wrote:In the messageboard's FAQs it states:

How do I create a poll?
When posting a new topic or editing the first post of a topic, click the “Poll creation” tab below the main posting form; if you cannot see this, you do not have appropriate permissions to create polls.

So as if you're one of the favoured few and you hold a view as in 'personally I'd like to see more money spent on the team to win promotion' then you can prevent people getting a say who might disagree with you.

Very disappointed in Jim.

How do I create a poll?

Because no one other than uptheport can.

Ground sharing with the Dragons is the way forward. Don't have a problem with leasing as do many other sports clubs up and down the land. Ideally a longer-term lease would give the necessary security we need, say 25 years. I agree that the training facilities need to be secured, perhaps Spytty being used by Newport RFC is a temporary measure while they find a more permanent ground to use. Presumably Spytty ticks all the boxes in terms of what a L2 / L1 club needs or is it inadequate? Would Flynn have resigned if Newport RFC were not using Spytty this season?
RP with a city centre location and a half decent stadium - certainly plenty good enough for L2 and L1. The current location would be nigh on impossible to match elsewhere - can't think of any suitable sites near the city centre we could develop.
In fairness to the BoD it must be pretty high on the priority list to maintain FL status and at all costs. Had we been relegated in 2017 I don't think we would have come back. RP would have been relaid with a plastic pitch.
A short to medium term period of sustainable growth as a L2 club will do for me with improvements in infrastructure off the pitch eg training facilities, which would impact the playing budget. Hopefully, the BoD are on the case and close to agreeing a new lease with the WRU. I note that the Dragons takeover has gone quiet again - will it ever happen?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

How do I create a poll?

So as if you're one of the favoured few and you hold a view as in 'personally I'd like to see more money spent on the team to win promotion' then you can prevent people getting a say who might disagree with you.

Very disappointed in Jim.
He's showing his true colors. He didn't think of it first, so no poll.

Exile 1976 wrote:Jim probably has access as he used to be a moderator on here.
Why would anyone would bother putting a poll on here? You’ll just get people pissing about just as they do with motm .
You are right that some people will always mess with other people's fun, just because they can. However I would argue that if we didn't do things on the basis that a small minority would just piss us about then we would end up doing bugger all.

I believe passionately that long term, without a sustainable plan for a fit for purpose stadium over which we have at least a shared control, we are f@cked. What proportion of others agree with me I don't know. If Whoareya is right, and he might be, I could stop wasting my time. If i am right, and I might be, perhaps this time the club will listen.
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on October 6th, 2021, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Why would anyone would bother putting a poll on here? You’ll just get people pissing about just as they do with motm .
You are right that some people will always mess with other people's fun, just because they can. However I would argue that if we didn't do things on the basis that a small minority would just puss us about then we would end up doing bugger all.

I believe passionately that long term, without a sustainable plan for a fit for purpose stadium over which we have at least a shared control over we are f@cked. What proportion of others agree with me I don't know. If Whoareya is right, and he might be, I could stop wasting my time. If i am right, and I might be, perhaps this time the club will listen.

This has been debated to death on here, the club has never listened. So many fans would want a proper infrastructure and our own ground but I very much doubt 40/50 contributors voting on this forum is going to change their minds Brend

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
You are right that some people will always mess with other people's fun, just because they can. However I would argue that if we didn't do things on the basis that a small minority would just puss us about then we would end up doing bugger all.

I believe passionately that long term, without a sustainable plan for a fit for purpose stadium over which we have at least a shared control over we are f@cked. What proportion of others agree with me I don't know. If Whoareya is right, and he might be, I could stop wasting my time. If i am right, and I might be, perhaps this time the club will listen.

This has been debated to death on here, the club has never listened. So many fans would want a proper infrastructure and our own ground but I very much doubt 40/50 contributors voting on this forum is going to change their minds Brend
You're probably right. That said to go through the late 1980's for a second time would do for me. I know to some I seem like the spectre at the feast, but right now to me it feels like 1986. Just before our club went completely t!ts up.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

You're probably right. That said to go through the late 1980's for a second time would do for me. I know to some I seem like the spectre at the feast, but right now to me it feels like 1986. Just before our club went completely t!ts up.
I know what you mean. I was never so depressed as I was in the year of our demise. I’ve seen performances this year ( Barrow second half and parts of other games ) where the alarm bells started to ring. I’m unsure whether losing Flynn will help or sink us long term. What I do know is that I’ll be delighted to be safely midtable at the end of the season. One thing’s for sure to even maintain current attendances the squad is our priority. One thing Flynn failed to do is persuade the board about training facilities and in that absence he failed to provide a legacy though it may be no fault of his own.

The legacy point is interesting. How do we remember Managers? Is it by our success, whether they got us new training facilities or a new stadium. All the Managers in the past 40 years have failed on the last one.

I think managers should concentrate on attempting success on the pitch. Leave other issues to the Board and the fans.