Re: 9,147

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote: Or they could have said "Lets go and watch a team that reached the quarter finals of the European Cup Winners Cup". Not many teams can claim that. Or they could have said "How about watching a team that started at Level 9 (Hellenic League) and are now at Level 4, and they've played at Wembley 5 times in the last 8 years".
You are though missing the point. This thread is about hate size.

For a city the size of Newport our gates are poor. There are doubtless reasons for this. My view is that the club need to find out why gates are so poor and address the issues.

I don't buy that the people of Newport are different from people elsewhere. I despair every time I hear excuses. The defeatist attitude of some on here is the first obstacle that needs to be overcome.
The people of Newport are no different to elsewhere except that in the main they **** off from Newport. County play in Black and Amber due to the Exiled Wolves supporters working in the area. When the work stopped they fecked off.
Llanwern Steelworks reduced the workforce, the workers/football fans fecked off. Cwmbran automotive workers were from the Midlands, when that industry slimmed they fecked off.
When the legal system was revamped and legal aid reduced, Barristers fecked off and no longer come to matches.
Newport's football supporting history is therefore not generally Grandfather/Father/Son/Daughter like a footballing city, the Newport chain is broken by fecking off. IMO it's as simple as that.

The club should be surveying people. Ask current ST holders why they buy one. Ask less frequent fans why they come along and what it'd take to sell them a ST. Most importantly ask new fans what initially worried them about coming along, and ask non fans why they don't go.

My feeling is a lot of locals follow our scores and would go, but just don't know any fans in their family/social circle. If I were the club, I'd look at advertising multi ticket deals to non attendees and dig out the marketing lists from the old cup games.

I'd hope that if you get people to come along with friends/family, it changes from being a 'football' thing to a 'social' thing.

Bangitintrnet wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote: Or they could have said "Lets go and watch a team that reached the quarter finals of the European Cup Winners Cup". Not many teams can claim that. Or they could have said "How about watching a team that started at Level 9 (Hellenic League) and are now at Level 4, and they've played at Wembley 5 times in the last 8 years".

For a city the size of Newport our gates are poor. There are doubtless reasons for this. My view is that the club need to find out why gates are so poor and address the issues.

I don't buy that the people of Newport are different from people elsewhere. I despair every time I hear excuses. The defeatist attitude of some on here is the first obstacle that needs to be overcome.
The people of Newport are no different to elsewhere except that in the main they **** off from Newport. County play in Black and Amber due to the Exiled Wolves supporters working in the area. When the work stopped they fecked off.
Llanwern Steelworks reduced the workforce, the workers/football fans fecked off. Cwmbran automotive workers were from the Midlands, when that industry slimmed they fecked off.
When the legal system was revamped and legal aid reduced, Barristers fecked off and no longer come to matches.
Newport's football supporting history is therefore not generally Grandfather/Father/Son/Daughter like a footballing city, the Newport chain is broken by fecking off. IMO it's as simple as that.
Interesting, I have never heard it explained like that. Interesting but not necessarily true.

My grandfather was from Wolverhampton, worked in Lysaghts. Never had an interest in football. He didn’t **** off. I did though, but I’m still a County fan.

pembsexile wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Interesting, I have never heard it explained like that. Interesting but not necessarily true.

My grandfather was from Wolverhampton, worked in Lysaghts. Never had an interest in football. He didn’t **** off. I did though, but I’m still a County fan.
Have to agree with you on this pembs . Like yourself my grandfather also came from the Wolverhampton area to work in Lysaghts and was a member of the works committee that established the formation of the County. With the demise of the steel industry in the area I also fecked off and stopped attending games, but now back living in the area, and attend regularly. even though probably unlike the majority of contributors on this forum, rugby union is my preferred sport.
I would suggest that as every individuals sporting tastes are unique, as are every towns/city's or areas. Whilst accepting that Football is popular amongst sports watchers to a greater or lesser degree nationwide; other sports such are Rugby League is predominately watched in the North of England. Arguably Rugby Union is just as popular as Football in the west country ,especially Devon and Cornwall. I believe all sorts of peculiar forms of Gaelic sports are popular in Ireland. Rugby is very much a minority sport in most parts of Scotland. I'm sure we all know that Rugby Union is far more popular in South Wales than the North. I remember playing a form of baseball in school in Newport that if I recall correctly was almost exclusively played in the Cardiff and Newport areas, with regular international games played against England, whose players were almost exclusively drawn from Liverpool and the Wirrel. Older fans will recall County player Graham Coldrick representing Wales at the sport. Do these matches still occur?

My point being that the people of Newport's sporting tastes are different in some ways from everyone else, as are everywhere else's different from everyone else's to a greater or lesser degree. To pretend in someway that they are not and should therefore have similar attendances at their football teams matches compared with other towns of similar populations is in my view is delusional.

I quite like Bangitintrnet's theory.

Back when I was at primary school we regarded County fans (we had two - twin boys - in our class) with curiosity. "Why", we wondered, "would you go and watch that rubbish?".

Ahem. :)

Bangitintrnet wrote:If you have no other family attending home games, then your individual chain has been broken by the football fan fecking off to Pembrokeshire......
I didn’t **** off to Pembrokeshire. I left for a job like lots of others. Ended up in Pembs.

I have until recently been attending County games with a family member for over 40 years. He however, has lost the County bug. Says the club are a lost cause.

Proud to say (in a significant minority), I am still a County fan.

Bangitintrnet wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

My father came from Ireland and had no interest in football. When I moved to London for years I watched County home and away week in week out. Now I live in Ireland I only get to see County maybe 5 or 6 times a season. (I try to make visits coincide with County games.

Your point about building up support through generations is a good one. Pity you had to spoil it by mindlessly insulting fellow fans. Many have whom have spent vast amounts of money and time supporting County.

Lack of success. In our entire history, We have had 2 promotions , 1939 and 1980.

Plus Whether it is chasing for promotion or trying to avoid relegation, terrible word ‘ jeopardy” increases the crowd numbers.

Rotherham, similar town/city to Newport in numbers and demographically, built on now declined heavy industry. They are also hamstrung by having 2 well supported clubs 8 miles away.

If Rotherham get promoted this season, they will have been in 6 promotions/relegations battles In 6 years. Considering the challenges, they get tidy crowds, play at a new stadium and have an inspirational chairman, who grew up supporting one of their rivals and the fans know the season will be exciting.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

My father came from Ireland and had no interest in football. When I moved to London for years I watched County home and away week in week out. Now I live in Ireland I only get to see County maybe 5 or 6 times a season. (I try to make visits coincide with County games.

Your point about building up support through generations is a good one. Pity you had to spoil it by mindlessly insulting fellow fans. Many have whom have spent vast amounts of money and time supporting County.
What we are talking about Stan is the gate, people who choose to **** of from Newport ( I am one of them) normally can't attend and take family/friend's to continue the chain. I live 30 miles from Newport, so still attend all home matches. My daughter's only ever attended briefly, during our non League days and have never been "trapped in amber" like some of us.

How many of us can trace our roots back to Newport 200 years ago? I dought any of us can, so our forefathers had Fecked off from somewhere else to arrive on Newport probably for work. And when the work dries up they **** off somewhere else, and the football supporters **** of with them.

When Mr and Mrs Hitler decided there was nothing on the wireless and they may as well **** off to bed, it also had an impact on County, as in 1939 we perhaps could have built up a large following and started the chains similar to Huddersfield.

Have Huddersfield had the same amount of Fecking off elsewhere as Newport?

I won't bite with the mindlessly insulting fellow fans bit, but people do say that I am sometimes condescending ( That means talking down to people Stan).

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

No I'm not missing the point SAE, I was responding to Aberexile's post about how can Newport dad's talk to their children about the great history of the County compared to Hudders field.

BTW what is hate size?

Before we all go down the sa.e hole let's instead stay on topic.

Newport County get poor gates (or hates :grin: ) for a city of Newport's size.

Now there must be reasons for this. And it has been a long term problem. The thing with reasons is that with work you can find out what they are and importantly you can address them.

Brian Harris used the excuse that it was the fault of the people of Newport. And that excuse has been a convenient get out for far too many. Long term excuses don't cut the mustard. Harris end up being a pub landlord who glassed one of his customers.

Bangitinthenet is absolutely correct in saying that going to a football match and supporting a team is a generation to generation thing. And we may well be failing to ensure that happens. But in going on to say it's because people leave Newport to pursue careers he in my view changes the reason into an excuse. You think people don't leave Rotherham or Huddersfield?.

Likewise Whoareya. Of course 25 years in non league didn't help. However within 11 years in the league and after 100 years non league Wimbledon finished 6th in Division 1 and beat Liverpool in the Cup Final.

For me the biggest problem is there seems to be a defeatist attitude in Newport. If you work hard enough and are prepared to take the knocks you can achieve most things. If you believe that you are going to fail you will.