Question Newport County

Poll ended at October 14th, 2021, 12:17 pm You may select 1 option

should put out the best possible team;
Total votes: 22 (47%)
begin to put resources into the development of the club.?
Total votes: 22 (47%)
Or no opinion
Total votes: 3 (6%)
Total votes: 47

Re: Poll how should we move forward as a Club

Bangitintrnet wrote: November 27th, 2021, 9:51 pm
Torquay Exile wrote: November 27th, 2021, 8:52 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: November 27th, 2021, 7:24 pm
Torquay Exile wrote: November 27th, 2021, 2:45 pm
Willthiswork wrote: November 27th, 2021, 1:28 pm I honestly don't see anyone laughing. Also I honestly have not seen this document or any support on where the Trust is our of date or where we could be making more money etc. Surely if you had that info and believed in it you would share it or want the 'owner' of it to share it with the Club or Trust?
You are right. You haven't seen the documents I have. I don't think you will see them. I could be wrong about that.

They believe that the club is going wrong is with the membership being from Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Ex-Pats. The club is treating the membership as winners and losers. That shouldn't be the case.

I hope you don't mind me asking how many in each category have the club signed up?
I find this a bit odd. "They" whoever they are, seem to be discussing the trust but calling it the club.

I think the vast majority of people who attended on the night are happy with how the CLUB and the TRUST has performed. Whether that was the case for the thousand that watched from afar, who knows. Indead, perhaps some of those may have been other clubs watching how our club is run.

I do know that a request was made from the floor for new blood to assist the lifeline society, as the average age is now too high.

I believe the Lifeline Society was started by David Hando before the old club folded. Being harsh, it was too young at the time to save the County, but was a massive assistance to Newport AFC.

What should be remembered is over the years substantial money has come into the club from the Lifeline Society. They have never asked for anything in return, or for anyone to sign a NDA.

I believe the Lifeline Society was started by David Hando before the old club folded. Being harsh, it was too young at the time to save the County, but was a massive assistance to Newport AFC.

That I don't remember. What I do remember is this councilor David Hando did a lot more than most people that I do remember.
What should be remembered is over the years substantial money has come into the club from the Lifeline Society. They have never asked for anything in return, or for anyone to sign a NDA.
Of course, they asked for something didn't they, did they do it for the benefit of their health. they wanted there Newport County to be successful. And now that we are in the football league everyone is wanting more success surely. As for the NDA, how do you know no one signed such an agreement were you there.

To go back to old Newport County they were never run properly in the first place. I remember most of the old directors from that time.
I can't believe that you would think that the Lifeline Society would ask anyone to sign a NDA!

I can remember one of the first acts was providing £5000 for the club to buy a player, a midfielder called Andy Thackeray, when the club was in free fall. What the Lifeline Society didn't want, was for the money to disappear into the black hole of the club finance at the time. So David Hando and co. knew at the time that the club had been badly run.

County are probably in the best financial position that they have ever been in. Four seasons running in profit is unheard of, not only for Newport County but for the vast majority of league clubs.

No doubt there are things that could be done better, but at the meeting, when the queue at the tea/burger bar is mentioned as an issue, then you get the impression that most other things are actually going very well.
I didn't mean the Lifeline Society.

I couldn't go on Thursday, but I have seen the videos. Did you go?

I'm not arguing about the fact being in profit. As you know, you can be in profit and still not, have a clue on how to run a business/football club correctly without having others with you to blame. I believe it's called winging it.

The quality of the video or sound wasn't the best. If you were there, maybe you could share the paperwork. That was on the seats with us that could not attend by Putting a copy on here. That would help the rest of us understand more about the open meeting.

To remind you, Michael Flynn is the reason we are in profit.

Ok, let leave the board directors to carry on running the club for the rest of this season and next and see where we are profit-wise. Let's sit back and watch. Two or three-season from now, with a cap in hand, can you help us, folks.

I'm still not convinced by the board of directors. Let's hope they can prove me wrong.

Torquay Exile wrote: November 16th, 2021, 10:49 pm I will not say who wanted to buy into the club. A question you should be asking the Board of Directors.
Can you elaborate on how the bid went down?

Was it..

"Can I buy the club?"

"No"

"Ok"

Proceeds to give information to one person and gets them to sign a NDA.

I feel if they were serious, there are/were better ways to go about showing they mean business to supporters than this.

Apologies if you have explained this elsewhere.

Torquay Exile wrote: November 27th, 2021, 11:44 pm
Willthiswork wrote: November 27th, 2021, 1:28 pm I honestly don't see anyone laughing. Also I honestly have not seen this document or any support on where the Trust is our of date or where we could be making more money etc. Surely if you had that info and believed in it you would share it or want the 'owner' of it to share it with the Club or Trust?
You are right. You haven't seen the documents I have. I don't think you will see them. I could be wrong about that.

They believe that the club is going wrong is with the membership being from Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Ex-Pats. The club is treating the membership as winners and losers. That shouldn't be the case.

I hope you don't mind me asking how many in each category have the club signed up?
I find this a bit odd. "They" whoever they are, seem to be discussing the trust but calling it the club.

I think the vast majority of people who attended on the night are happy with how the CLUB and the TRUST has performed. Whether that was the case for the thousand that watched from afar, who knows. Indead, perhaps some of those may have been other clubs watching how our club is run.

I do know that a request was made from the floor for new blood to assist the lifeline society, as the average age is now too high.

That I don't remember. What I do remember is this councilor David Hando did a lot more than most people that I do remember.
Of course, they asked for something didn't they, did they do it for the benefit of their health. they wanted there Newport County to be successful. And now that we are in the football league everyone is wanting more success surely. As for the NDA, how do you know no one signed such an agreement were you there.

To go back to old Newport County they were never run properly in the first place. I remember most of the old directors from that time.
I can't believe that you would think that the Lifeline Society would ask anyone to sign a NDA!

I can remember one of the first acts was providing £5000 for the club to buy a player, a midfielder called Andy Thackeray, when the club was in free fall. What the Lifeline Society didn't want, was for the money to disappear into the black hole of the club finance at the time. So David Hando and co. knew at the time that the club had been badly run.

County are probably in the best financial position that they have ever been in. Four seasons running in profit is unheard of, not only for Newport County but for the vast majority of league clubs.

No doubt there are things that could be done better, but at the meeting, when the queue at the tea/burger bar is mentioned as an issue, then you get the impression that most other things are actually going very well.

I'm not arguing about the fact being in profit. As you know, you can be in profit and still not, have a clue on how to run a business/football club correctly without having others with you to blame. I believe it's called winging it.

The quality of the video or sound wasn't the best. If you were there, maybe you could share the paperwork. That was on the seats with us that could not attend by Putting a copy on here. That would help the rest of us understand more about the open meeting.

Ok, let leave the board directors to carry on running the club for the rest of this season and next and see where we are profit-wise. Let's sit back and watch. Two or three-season from now, with a cap in hand, can you help us, folks.

I'm still not convinced by the board of directors. Let's hope they can prove me wrong.
If they ask us cap in hand in two or three seasons time perhaps you could run a competition, man that would be good. You could maybe raise £10,000,000 as was previously promised sometime ago. Although I do suspect that everyone’s hand would probably be tied by a NDA. They appear to be a thorn in the side of financial progress with the County at the moment. If only the NDA would go away all our problems would be over.

pembsexile wrote: November 28th, 2021, 10:32 am

If they ask us cap in hand in two or three seasons time perhaps you could run a competition, man that would be good. You could maybe raise £10,000,000 as was previously promised sometime ago. Although I do suspect that everyone’s hand would probably be tied by a NDA. They appear to be a thorn in the side of financial progress with the County at the moment. If only the NDA would go away all our problems would be over.
Talking like an old foolish person again, I see. I suppose when you get to your age, you do tend to drift a bit. I hope you are well and taking good care of yourself. Don't forget your vitamins now.

Torquay Exile wrote: November 28th, 2021, 3:34 pm

Talking like an old foolish person again, I see. I suppose when you get to your age, you do tend to drift a bit. I hope you are well and taking good care of yourself. Don't forget your vitamins now.

Ahhh, trying to bully yet another poster hey? Bless you.

£15fornonleague?! wrote: November 29th, 2021, 2:03 pm
Torquay Exile wrote: November 28th, 2021, 3:34 pm

Ahhh, trying to bully yet another poster hey? Bless you.

Sarcastic maybe, never a bully.

Yet another club decides the way forward is to rent not own.

Exclusive: Bristol Rovers' stadium dream moves step closer as developers agree Fruit Market deal
Many steps remain on the road to a new stadium for Bristol Rovers, but an important milestone has been reached

Bristol Rovers have moved a step closer to realising their dream of a new stadium as a sale has been agreed for the land at St Philip's Marsh, home to the city's fruit market, Bristol Live understands.

Confirmation of the purchase of the 11-acre site to the east of Temple Meads station, is expected to be confirmed this week, subject to planning, with a developer intent on building residential properties, restaurants and other entertainment venues.

Part of the project also includes a new stadium for Rovers, with a 20,000-capacity mooted, to move the club from the charming but ramshackle Memorial Stadium in Horfield which has been their home since 1996.

However, there are significant barriers still to be crossed as the planning application for the overall site is expected to take between 18 months and two years, leaving the Gas' involvement slightly in limbo.

It is understood that as that procedure takes place the fruit market will continue to trade as normal before being relocated if and when it's approved.

Due to that wait, Rovers are only able to agree to a deal in principle for their involvement in the project, and if any issues should arrive during the planning process, there are no obligations to proceed with the stadium.

In the event of the stadium being built by the developer, Rovers wouldn't own it, as they do the Memorial Stadium, but it would be a long-term lease with a minimal yearly financial obligation.

The deal does include the sale of the land at the Mem to the same developer which intends to revamp the fruit market, with the plans for that site off Gloucester Road to be turned into a residential development.

Bristol Live understands the developer has no interest in purchasing any stake in the football club from Dwane Sports or the Supporters Club.

Bristol Rovers owner Wael Al-Qadi at the Mem in July.(Image: Ryan Hiscott/JMP)
It will be a complex and lengthy procedure but is a tangible sign of progress after two years of curiosity caused by president Wael Al-Qadi's declaration prior to the kick-off of the 2019/20 season that the Fruit Market was their preferential site for a new stadium.

Wael Al-Qadi told BBC Radio Bristol on August 3, 2019: "We have options but one of the sites, as you probably know from what has been talked about, is the site at the fruit market… It is one of several sites but we are very interested in that site.

"We have already started the work that goes into planning permission. As you know it's a very long process and there's a lot of technical work that has to be done to get approval."

Negotiations between the developers, who have a history of major inner-city projects in the UK, and the numerous shareholders who hold a stake in the fruit market have been long and riddled with delays, in part caused by the pandemic, but also due to legal issues resulting from having so many different parties involved.

Throughout it all, there has been a confidence within the hierarchy at Rovers that a deal can be concluded.

Although the realisation of the dream still remains in the distance, the building of a new stadium would very much complete Wael Al-Qadi's vision for the infrastructure of the club with his family, via Dwane Sports, having purchased a majority stake in 2016.

The need for a new home has long been on the agenda of the fanbase, with the collapse of the UWE deal in 2017 a particularly painful one for the Gas.

Rovers do have a new training ground with work beginning on the site in Hortham Lane in Almondsbury, now known as The Quarters, beginning in September 2020.

But the search for a stadium has been a long and exhaustive one. However, developments this week do bring it that extra bit closer.

Interesting read in the Argus today on the delays to the Dragons takeover. Now expected to be January or later as the investors seem to think the side will be facing annual losses of £1m, if I read that correctly.

One bit on what the lease/licence agreement will be when the handover happens:
If the deal goes ahead then the Dragons would have a 250-year lease on the stadium site plus the offices and land where there is currently a marquee.

They would be free to develop that area while the Union could build on the ‘cabbage patch’ and clubhouse.