Question Newport County

Poll ended at October 14th, 2021, 12:17 pm You may select 1 option

should put out the best possible team;
Total votes: 22 (47%)
begin to put resources into the development of the club.?
Total votes: 22 (47%)
Or no opinion
Total votes: 3 (6%)
Total votes: 47

Re: Poll how should we move forward as a Club

Going to watch the County at away games I always elect to go with the home crowd, only because the seating is better located. However it does require registration first, and this then invariably leads to weekly marketing of either forthcoming games, merchandise or special offers for hospitality.

Comparing this to Newport’s lacklustre commercial and promotional activities makes me wonder if this is part of our problem. There is no money to be earned by keeping your offering secret, and yet even if you were prepared to take the initiative and go the extra mile to make enquiries of our Club, you are invariably met with a wall of silence.
As an example, why is it that I can book hospitality online at Exeter, yet with Newport there are far too many people passing negative comment, where it seems that it may be easier to speak with the Pope than it is to communicate with the commercial department?
So what happens if you perceive there are too many barriers, is that you just don’t bother, which in turn equals lost opportunity and revenue.

The Club must have a sizeable email data base, so why don't they take a leaf out of the book of other clubs, and in a structured way regularly use it? All businesses will only do one of two things, grow or decline, and Newport County needs to have a marketing strategy that ensures the former. The current favoured ploy of doing nothing is not an option.

Growth is all about maintaining momentum, and whether it be the pandemic or other factors, some impetus seems to have been lost.

And finally, this distinct lack of overall communication does give rise to the feeling of a massive disconnect between the ordinary supporter, and what is allegedly a supporter owned Club. In stead we are seemingly run by a cabal, with a knowledge is power mentality, but that is probably for another debate on another day.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: October 17th, 2021, 10:28 pm
pembsexile wrote: October 17th, 2021, 9:33 pm

To go back to basics, I still have no idea as to why there is a proportional lack of interest in the County in the wider Newport public. I see it in my own extended Newport family. They are not bothered at all and wonder why I support the club from afar and still go to 4/5 games a season. I’m too old to change, but we need to generate interest in the youngsters primarily somehow. I’d love the sceptics/cynics to be wrong but they aren’t. Not from the evidence I see anyway.
Evening Mike,

I trust you're well.

Looking at the posts from yourself, Llanwern and Taunton, I think we all agree that for the size of Newport our gates are disappointing. That can only be two reasons for this. Either the people of Newport are somehow different from everyone else or we're doing something(s) wrong. I think it's the latter, and if that is the case we can put it right.

And notwithstanding the cynics I shall continue to live in hope.
Hi Brendan, all OK thanks.

First thing - it is nice to be able to put a longer reply without being logged off after a minute. Thanks Admin for the fix, cheers Jack.

Now your points. I disagree that there are only two reasons for the lack of support. However, I certainly agree with your last sentence of your middle paragraph. What can we do?
I don’t think there is anything wrong with Newport people at all. People in general are the same the world over. Within the sphere of football supporting our wants and wishes are no different to any other club, they just appear on a different scale as you would expect. Neither do I think that we are doing anything wrong. The issue is that there is something that we are not doing right. That is why I suggested that we get someone without a Newport connection to advise us as we seem incapable of getting to the root cause of the problem ourselves. We go around and around in perpetuity and sadly, nothing ever seems to change. As I said, it appears to me to be a Newport mindset thing and I have no idea how we resolve it. Sad.

pembsexile wrote: October 18th, 2021, 8:12 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: October 17th, 2021, 10:28 pm [quote=pembsexile post_id=657403 time=1634502816 user_id=4722

I disagree that there are only two reasons for the lack of support.
Precisely, and if you take a look at the thread on league support, you will notice that support can be very different season to season with all clubs. Obviously there are external factors at play that are being ignored, if you come to the conclusion that population and support is in someway linked.
How else can you explain the difference in support of teams over many years, when the populations haven't changed to the same extent.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: October 18th, 2021, 7:48 am And finally, this distinct lack of overall communication does give rise to the feeling of a massive disconnect between the ordinary supporter, and what is allegedly a supporter owned Club. In stead we are seemingly run by a cabal, with a knowledge is power mentality, but that is probably for another debate on another day.
Something I have asked is, what is not being communicated?

llanwern exile wrote: October 17th, 2021, 7:50 pm
Maybe something like Newport rfc done at the turn of the millenium Mike! a family village to attract the younger generation who have to drag their parents along with them, it worked for newport rfc along with having some of the best players in the world off course but their attendance went from around the 1,000 mark to 8/9k in a few months, but we could never do that cos we don't own as much as a blade of grass at rp and the wru would never allow it.
Something like the Marquee that is already there - with a bar, live music, interviews with players, charities, Trust table, activities for kids??? Open to more suggestions.

Bangitintrnet wrote: October 18th, 2021, 8:42 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: October 17th, 2021, 10:28 pm [quote=pembsexile post_id=657403 time=1634502816 user_id=4722

Precisely, and if you take a look at the thread on league support, you will notice that support can be very different season to season with all clubs. Obviously there are external factors at play that are being ignored, if you come to the conclusion that population and support is in someway linked.
How else can you explain the difference in support of teams over many years, when the populations haven't changed to the same extent.
I think you will find that I qualified that quote about lack of support with the following sentence. ‘However, I certainly agree with your last sentence…….
…What can we do’.

Season to season support varies. An average of 5600 in 1981 emphasises this. That sort of reinforces my previous comment that success breeds interest.

I remember going to games at SP in the late 60’s and early 70’s where the crowd was in the region of 2,500, sometimes less. Go back to the late 50’s when we were in DIv3S, then our gates were higher because success breeds interest. This does not detract from the long standing problem that the County suffers from regarding a lower than normal average crowd based on our population. The problem goes back at least 60/70 years possibly even longer.

The club is working hard to get the crowds back as Joe has just indicated with the Marquee. Very good attendance from what I saw there last week. The question should be, how do we get them into RP and the Marquee in the first place? I don’t really know, just from what I see it is a Newport mindset problem. Long standing. Chicken and egg scenario, how do we break it?

Willthiswork wrote: October 18th, 2021, 9:03 am
llanwern exile wrote: October 17th, 2021, 7:50 pm
Maybe something like Newport rfc done at the turn of the millenium Mike! a family village to attract the younger generation who have to drag their parents along with them, it worked for newport rfc along with having some of the best players in the world off course but their attendance went from around the 1,000 mark to 8/9k in a few months, but we could never do that cos we don't own as much as a blade of grass at rp and the wru would never allow it.
Something like the Marquee that is already there - with a bar, live music, interviews with players, charities, Trust table, activities for kids??? Open to more suggestions.
Ah yes the marquee i went in there once and it seemed to me that their only objective was to sell as much over priced beer as they could for the benefit of the wru, it is a million miles away from what NRFC had and is of zero benefit to the county.

Willthiswork wrote: October 18th, 2021, 9:01 am
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: October 18th, 2021, 7:48 am And finally, this distinct lack of overall communication does give rise to the feeling of a massive disconnect between the ordinary supporter, and what is allegedly a supporter owned Club. In stead we are seemingly run by a cabal, with a knowledge is power mentality, but that is probably for another debate on another day.
Something I have asked is, what is not being communicated?
PM sent

pembsexile wrote: October 18th, 2021, 9:24 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: October 18th, 2021, 8:42 am

I think you will find that I qualified that quote about lack of support with the following sentence. ‘However, I certainly agree with your last sentence…….
…What can we do’.

Season to season support varies. An average of 5600 in 1981 emphasises this. That sort of reinforces my previous comment that success breeds interest.

I remember going to games at SP in the late 60’s and early 70’s where the crowd was in the region of 2,500, sometimes less. Go back to the late 50’s when we were in DIv3S, then our gates were higher because success breeds interest. This does not detract from the long standing problem that the County suffers from regarding a lower than normal average crowd based on our population. The problem goes back at least 60/70 years possibly even longer.

The club is working hard to get the crowds back as Joe has just indicated with the Marquee. Very good attendance from what I saw there last week. The question should be, how do we get them into RP and the Marquee in the first place? I don’t really know, just from what I see it is a Newport mindset problem. Long standing. Chicken and egg scenario, how do we break it?
What can we do? Wasn't my question Pembsexile.

The reason for that, is that quite clearly, I don't except that there is a "Newport specific problem"

Again, I say look at the data on the league attendances thread, and ask what has caused change? Can it be explained by a link to population, I don't think so.

It's very very easy to sit at a keyboard in a foreign land, make a statement, not provide any evidence that the "Problem" only exists in Newport, and then offer no solution to the "Problem" . Just, it's the fault of Newport People! Or is the fault of those running the club.

The foreign troll needs to do some research, in order to try and convince us that there is in fact more than anacdotal evidence to this so called "Newport Specific problem" . Then and only then he is actually doing something worthwhile, rather than just being a sniper.

Rather than take up space with quotes, here is my reply.

‘What can we do’ was my question to Stan.

I think it is a Newport problem, although other clubs suffer similar issues regarding attendances. I believe that in the main it is a Newport mindset issue.

The person that you call the ‘Foreign troll’ to the best of my knowledge has not said that it is a Newport specific problem. He has stated that Newport people are the same as everyone else.

First thing - it is nice to be able to put a longer reply without being logged off after a minute. Thanks Admin for the fix, cheers Jack.

Now your points. I disagree that there are only two reasons for the lack of support. However, I certainly agree with your last sentence of your middle paragraph. What can we do?
I don’t think there is anything wrong with Newport people at all. People in general are the same the world over. Within the sphere of football supporting our wants and wishes are no different to any other club, they just appear on a different scale as you would expect. Neither do I think that we are doing anything wrong. The issue is that there is something that we are not doing right. That is why I suggested that we get someone without a Newport connection to advise us as we seem incapable of getting to the root cause of the problem ourselves. We go around and around in perpetuity and sadly, nothing ever seems to change. As I said, it appears to me to be a Newport mindset thing and I have no idea how we resolve it. Sad.
I agree about the Newport mindset. Unfortunately for years the people of Newport have been let down by civic leaders. Everything in Newport is too often done on the cheap. Spytty being the perfect example. I think we're closer to agreement than you realize on my second point. For me not doing something right and doing something wrong are the same thing.
Further your suggestion about getting someone without a Newport connection has merit. We keep reading this figure of £1,000 per seat. I wonder if anyone on our board of directors actually asked anyone at Exeter how they financed their new stands. Further asking what went right and more importantly what are the mistakes to avoid.
One massive area of hope. Notwithstanding the best efforts of a small number of losers, well over 4,000 hits have been recorded on this thread. There is an interest in how we can do better. And the more the apologists for failure whine, the more those of us who believe that the future can be better than the past must keep asking questions.

So Gavin, Shaun, Kevin. When you were at Exeter did you speak to Exeter officials? Did you ask them how they managed to develop St James' Park? And if not, would you like to explain to the owners of Newport County, why you didn't?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: October 18th, 2021, 12:55 pm

I agree about the Newport mindset. Unfortunately for years the people of Newport have been let down by civic leaders. Everything in Newport is too often done on the cheap. Spytty being the perfect example. I think we're closer to agreement than you realize on my second point. For me not doing something right and doing something wrong are the same thing.
Further your suggestion about getting someone without a Newport connection has merit. We keep reading this figure of £1,000 per seat. I wonder if anyone on our board of directors actually asked anyone at Exeter how they financed their new stands. Further asking what went right and more importantly what are the mistakes to avoid.
One massive area of hope. Notwithstanding the best efforts of a small number of losers, well over 4,000 hits have been recorded on this thread. There is an interest in how we can do better. And the more the apologists for failure whine, the more those of us who believe that the future can be better than the past must keep asking questions.

So Gavin, Shaun, Kevin. When you were at Exeter did you speak to Exeter officials? Did you ask them how they managed to develop St James' Park? And if not, would you like to explain to the owners of Newport County, why you didn't?
Don’t want to get too bogged down in semantics, but, not doing something right and doing something wrong are different. For example, I don’t think the club are doing anything wrong with the Trust initiative and the recent opening of the Marquee for instance. Good ideas. They are doing a lot of things right. It is just that there is something we are not doing right.

Not doing something right (whatever that may be) is my issue. It is not really a blame issue as I have no idea how we overcome it other than ask an outside expert. There is something that is not happening for the Newport people to not engage with the club in a larger proportion than what we see.

pembsexile wrote: October 18th, 2021, 12:50 pm Rather than take up space with quotes, here is my reply.

I think it is a Newport problem, although other clubs suffer similar issues regarding attendances. I believe that in the main it is a Newport mindset issue.

The person that you call the ‘Foreign troll’ to the best of my knowledge has not said that it is a Newport specific problem. He has stated that Newport people are the same as everyone else.
I've only just seen this. Did Bangedonthehead call me a foreign troll? All I can say is if the poor chap believes that racist abuse will convince anyone with a brain then he must be a very sad and desperately lonely human being.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: October 18th, 2021, 1:26 pm
pembsexile wrote: October 18th, 2021, 12:50 pm Rather than take up space with quotes, here is my reply.

I've only just seen this. Did Bangedonthehead call me a foreign troll? All I can say is if the poor chap believes that racist abuse will convince anyone with a brain then he must be a very sad and desperately lonely human being.
Racist Abuse, really? Your using that card early aren't you?

I think someone who has a user name of Einstein has major insecurity issues. Desperate for credibility are we? Did they call you a thick Irishman in school?

And then we have this statement from the foreign troll:

You see trolls never recognize that they are a troll. They hide behind their keyboards, firing off demands, when they are not representing anyone. They are above actually doing any research, they are simply always correct. They justify their abborent actions on the basis that it is necessary.
Necessary for who exactly, who is it that you are representing?

I say again, show us your workings. Detail the success that your constant sniping has achieved. You have been at it for 10 years, you would think you would have achieved better than 47% in an unnecessary vote.

I do think however that you have chosen wisely with the username Einstein, you are desperately short of credibility.

Can you please try to answer questions, instead of deflection/demanding/insulting. Please do try and take part in the debate that you called for.

Happy Sniping, foreign troll.

Should put out the best possible team? Total votes: 22 (46.81%)

Begin to put resources into the development of the club.? Total votes: 22 (46.81%)

No opinion? Total votes: 3 (6.38%)

It was a good idea to run this poll. I think the person who set this poll up on behalf of Stan should have asked him how he would like the poll worded.

I would have worded the poll this way:

(A) Should we consider a promotion for the next five years. Concentrate instead on fundraising looking to build a new stadium?

(B) Go all out for promotion this season and next. Then look into buying into Rodney Parade (50/50 ownership with the WRU)?

(C) Agree with B with more help from the supporters and set up a fundraising committee that would work with the directors and the Trust?

(D) No opinion?