Question Newport County

Poll ended at October 14th, 2021, 12:17 pm You may select 1 option

should put out the best possible team;
Total votes: 22 (47%)
begin to put resources into the development of the club.?
Total votes: 22 (47%)
Or no opinion
Total votes: 3 (6%)
Total votes: 47

Re: Poll how should we move forward as a Club

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Who were the original incarnation of County renting from when the plug was pulled?
The local authority.

The reason why the plug was pulled is because we didn't pay our rent. Your point being?

Edit.

It is always better to own than to rent. But if there is no option but to rent, it is best t rent from a local authority. I think it a shame that Newport City Council didn't buy Rodney Parade and rent it to both codes of football in our city. I said so at the time and have said so since.

It might help George if you took your time, and thought your arguments through. By trying to make snide little comments you do make yourself look silly.
Why is it always better to own than rent? From a commercial perspective.

faerun exile wrote: Why is it always better to own than rent? From a commercial perspective.
When you own property you don't pay rent. When you own property you are not subject to eviction if it suits your landlord. If you own property and make improvements to that property you are not making that property more desirable for anyone but yourself.

Renting has two advantages. In the short term it may cost less. Secondly it allows you to move premises without the hassle of selling up.

Now if Newport County intend to move to Merthyr in the next five years, by all means rent.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:Your obsession with ownership is moronic.

I stood behind you in the queue at the Riverside when you bought your shares. All I can say is if you are really worried you would have invested more than you did.

Stan you live in Ireland by choice, hardly attend matches, so please help me....... why should anyone on this forum be overly concerned by the ill researched opinions/rantings of a former fan?
As you can see by the polling about 50% agree with me and 50% don't.

I will endeavour to persuade the 50% who disagree with me that they are mistaken. I somehow think that if I were to put up an insulting rant such as you have done I would only damage to my argument.

Now I will meet your single logical argument. That being that that some league clubs rent. And if we were renting from the local authority then I would have no difficulty. However we rent from the WRU. They are our rivals for the disposable income of the Newport sporting public.

Oh and to answer your final point. People shouldn't listen to me. What I ask people to do is to look at everyone's opinions and to make up their own minds.

Bangitintrnet wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

I stood behind you in the queue at the Riverside when you bought your shares. All I can say is if you are really worried you would have invested more than you did.

Stan you live in Ireland by choice, hardly attend matches, so please help me....... why should anyone on this forum be overly concerned by the ill researched opinions/rantings of a former fan?

I will endeavour to persuade the 50% who disagree with me that they are mistaken. I somehow think that if I were to put up an insulting rant such as you have done I would only damage to my argument.

Now I will meet your single logical argument. That being that that some league clubs rent. And if we were renting from the local authority then I would have no difficulty. However we rent from the WRU. They are our rivals for the disposable income of the Newport sporting public.

Oh and to answer your final point. People shouldn't listen to me. What I ask people to do is to look at everyone's opinions and to make up their own minds.
Didn't I just say that? :grin:

Bangitintrnet wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

It's not 50% Stan, and 42 People voting over four days shows nothing but a lack of interest in a pole orchestrated by a former fan

The rugby are not our rivals, people choose one code or the other, or if they don't pick individual games from both codes. The Dragons have 10 home games.
And as for renting from the Council, compare and contrast investment at Newport Stadium with that at Rodney Parade over the same period

At last something that we mutually agree upon. People Shouldn't listen to you

Bangitintrnet wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

It's not 50% Stan, and 42 People voting over four days shows nothing but a lack of interest in a pole orchestrated by a former fan

The rugby are not our rivals, people choose one code or the other, or if they don't pick individual games from both codes. The Dragons have 10 home games.
And as for renting from the Council, compare and contrast investment at Newport Stadium with that at Rodney Parade over the same period

Well let's examine that which you say.

People choose one code or the other.

Some do. Others don't. I certainly have watched rugby at Rodney Parade. And reading this board I know many others have also. It is likewise true that everyone has a limit on that which they can spend on entertainment. I believe you are simply wrong.

Your second point. Look at the money spent on Rodney Parade as opposed to Newport Stadium. Exactly. And if the WRU don't renew our license, all the money we've spent will have been to the benefit of our rivals.

And finally people shouldn't listen to me. Of course not if that implies they should agree with me. I am very often wrong. We all are. Which is why those of us with intelligence try to take on board all points of view. Be critical of everything but most of all be critical of oneself. If you do learn to be self critical it helps you avoid saying the utterly idiotic, such as people in Newport 'choose one code or the other'. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Well let's examine that which you say.

People choose one code or the other.

Some do. Others don't. I certainly have watched rugby at Rodney Parade. And reading this board I know many others have also. It is likewise true that everyone has a limit on that which they can spend on entertainment. I believe you are simply wrong.

You haven't lived in Newport for decades Stan, as usual you make a statement not based on any up to date knowledge of the topic.

Your second point. Look at the money spent on Rodney Parade as opposed to Newport Stadium. Exactly. And if the WRU don't renew our license, all the money we've spent will have been to the benefit of our rivals.

The WRU are not our rivals Stan, nor are the Dragons who only play 10 games. That's why a Dragon's season ticket is so cheep. So "If' a fan of both codes is interested why not buy a season ticket for both. Indeed David Buttress has suggested that the Dragons would be interested in a joint season ticket if there was a demand.

The WRU know that the cost of maintaining the ground is why they had to reluctantly take a further interest in ground ownership. It's why Newport had to sell, and it's why they are moving to Spytty. The WRU will not be able to offload Rodney Parade/the Dragons without another party sharing the costs, that is a fact, not Stan Bollocks, fact.

And finally people shouldn't listen to me. Of course not if that implies they should agree with me. I am very often wrong. We all are. Which is why those of us with intelligence try to take on board all points of view. Be critical of everything but most of all be critical of oneself. If you do learn to be self critical it helps you avoid saying the utterly idiotic, such as people in Newport 'choose one code or the other'. :grin:
They do, in the main. How would you know any different, an ex fan, talking bollocks and living in Ireland?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:You're the one swearing and throwing insults.

I'm content to let others make their own minds up.
Well I object to a former fan who has for years and years set himself up as the official opposition to anything that the club does.

I object to you putting forward the suggestion that the board should do anything thing different to how they are operating.

You sir have achieved nothing but hot air. I'd prefer to let the board get on with it, than listen to who exactly? I object to you calling yourself a fan of Newport County. You simply aren't.

Why should people express an opinion, when you don't even go to games.

This so called problem is based on something that happened decades ago, and Stan worries "might" happen again. No account is taken of things changing since, in world terms or even locally. Then again just like every other doom mongering prophecy you have come up with, perhaps it won't. Moronic

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Who were the original incarnation of County renting from when the plug was pulled?
The local authority. The reason why the plug was pulled is because we didn't pay our rent. Your point being?

Edit.

It is always better to own than to rent...
Point is if push comes to shove a local authority landlord can be just as ruthless.

It might be preferable to own a ground outright, but that's not on the agenda. Even then at any club there's a colossal threat of some board at some point wanting to borrow against it and coming unstuck.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The local authority. The reason why the plug was pulled is because we didn't pay our rent. Your point being?

Edit.

Point is if push comes to shove a local authority landlord can be just as ruthless.

It might be preferable to own a ground outright, but that's not on the agenda. Even then at any club there's a colossal threat of some board at some point wanting to borrow against it and coming unstuck.
There you go George you can do it when you try. Sensible posts which deserve a reply. And for your own sake, some people end up getting so disoriented that they feel the need to write in red. :grin:

Now your e right, owning our own stadium is not on the agenda. That's the point of the poll, I think it should be. I suppose on that point we'll have to agree to disagree.

As for your second point, some board wanting to borrow against it. Two points. Firstly if the borrowing is for development then that can be advantageous. I don't regret borrowing against my house to pay for bar school. However I do agree with you that an incompetent or dishonest board could use the stadium unwisely to borrow for the wrong reasons.

But here I'd make two points. Firstly as a trust the supporters would have a measure of control so we shouldn't get into an Oyston type situation.

Secondly the argument don't buy a property because it might get stolen seems very defeatist. I won't buy a house, I might lose it. True but if you don't buy a house you won't have a house to lose. And besides you might not lose it. And let's carry your argument to it's conclusion. No real point in doing anything as one day I will die. And I don't even have the argument that I'm doing it for others. One day the sun will supernova and everyone on earth will die.

As I say thank you for putting your argument others can read all the points and make up their own minds.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Edit.

There you go George you can do it when you try. Sensible posts which deserve a reply. And for your own sake, some people end up getting so disoriented that they feel the need to write in red. :grin:

Now your e right, owning our own stadium is not on the agenda. That's the point of the poll, I think it should be. I suppose on that point we'll have to agree to disagree.

As for your second point, some board wanting to borrow against it. Two points. Firstly if the borrowing is for development then that can be advantageous. I don't regret borrowing against my house to pay for bar school. However I do agree with you that an incompetent or dishonest board could use the stadium unwisely to borrow for the wrong reasons.

But here I'd make two points. Firstly as a trust the supporters would have a measure of control so we shouldn't get into an Oyston type situation.

Secondly the argument don't buy a property because it might get stolen seems very defeatist. I won't buy a house, I might lose it. True but if you don't buy a house you won't have a house to lose. And besides you might not lose it. And let's carry your argument to it's conclusion. No real point in doing anything as one day I will die. And I don't even have the argument that I'm doing it for others. One day the sun will supernova and everyone on earth will die.

As I say thank you for putting your argument others can read all the points and make up their own minds.

It's funny how you always refer to the nineteen eighties in your responses Stan, I guess your stuck there. There again living in Sligo probably doesn't help you.

I write in red so as not to be confused with anything you have written, as I don't wish to be associated with it.

As for disorientation, well I am presently pointing in the direction of Rodney Parade ready for tonight.

And you Stan, are you watching Sligo Rangers playing on their rented ground?