Question Newport County

Poll ended at October 14th, 2021, 12:17 pm You may select 1 option

should put out the best possible team;
Total votes: 22 (47%)
begin to put resources into the development of the club.?
Total votes: 22 (47%)
Or no opinion
Total votes: 3 (6%)
Total votes: 47

Re: Poll how should we move forward as a Club

pembsexile wrote:
Torquay Exile wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Stan asked so here we go

I get the impression that you are hoping that Stan is wrong and you are always right. You sound a bit like someone I know. Who likes to control everything and everyone on this forum. But I'm sorry to have to tell you this is the people's forum.
You sound exactly like another poster on here who has a gripe with UTP.
So what you're saying is that there is only one person on this forum that doesn't agree with uptheport "sometimes" (believe what you want). You live in your little world called the plebeian world.

Torquay Exile wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Torquay Exile wrote:

I get the impression that you are hoping that Stan is wrong and you are always right. You sound a bit like someone I know. Who likes to control everything and everyone on this forum. But I'm sorry to have to tell you this is the people's forum.
So what you're saying is that there is only one person on this forum that doesn't agree with uptheport "sometimes" (believe what you want). You live in your little world called the plebeian world.
Touched a raw nerve have I? Straight to the insults eh?

Tell me, are you, yourfinalanswer and Competition man in this plebeian world as well?

pembsexile wrote:
Torquay Exile wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Torquay Exile wrote:

Touched a raw nerve have I? Straight to the insults eh?

Tell me, are you, yourfinalanswer and Competition man in this plebeian world as well?
I am sure you have got something to hide. As you are always mentioning this competition person every opportunity you get and many others. Does this person frighten you, or are you just a bully?

I can assure you that I have no connection with either of those individuals.

Both.

But that's unrealistic. Lincoln sold the lie that they invested in infrastructure and youth after an away draw at somebody. Lincoln investing in youth think about, most of the population was Eastern European pickers. Yes they built a new leisure centre, they never went higher than Len Ashurst's Port.

Clearly County made some folding from all of those Cup games on the Telly. But, I imagine less than envisaged by some.

The thing is...it's essentially a fan ran club. Why? Because we went out of business in 1989. We were actually broke in 1982. 2 years after our greatest season, bank loans kept us going. It took another 7 for loans that we'er,'t secured or even leveraged to be called in.

So, there are always three options.

Keep the club solvent, or even alive.

Invest in this

Invest in that

I personally am concerned there are more directors than log-term decent players(2 yr contracts) because that sends the message the Flynny years have attracted some hangers-on. Which means that hard fought for folding will disappear into nothing.

No Director has ever appeared on the end of a cross, but many have disappeared with the Crown Jewels.

Having said that. We are homeless and Flynny has a point there.

The Trust Boards main concern its raison de etre is to keep the club alive. So,it's a tricky choice of all of the above choices.

I don't know what the finances really are. (Accounts can always be manipulated). But a club like Newport, turnover about 500-750k without cup money. The D2 money is about (solidarity payments, that are up) are about 750k per year but to each club and the Newcastle situation will only add to inflation.

Clearly; If you haven't got a training ground it's almost impossible to develop a youth programme. When I was 14, playing for Risca Rangers, Chelsea came to look at me in a game against Gelligoes.
I was outplayed by 4 brilliant players who were already on Cardiff's books. (Took 4 mind )

Is there even a western Valleys youth League anymore?

So, build a youth structure. If, there aren't any set them up. The Nigel Vaughan, Steve Lownes talent is always there.

The old Alcan should have been the new site. Long gone. Identify a new site for a Newport County stadium and training and development hub. Perhaps, said this before near llanwern, ring land cheapest land in the whole of the UK. Set some money aside look for investors.

Leaves, the tricky issue of what percentage to invest in the team. To, achieve the above you have to have success. Flynny achieved that. Where's the money gone?

As Torquay says, please report. Flynny did his job, did the Board? We have less players on long-term contracts now, than we have directors. It's a ******* football club, not a branch the Conservative Party.

Nineteen Eighty wrote:Of Course we have to put out the Best Team possible. The opposite is "Not to try to win". But if there was forward planning (should I say open discussion) minds would be concentrated, sources found.
If the club came out and openly said. "We're looking to raise £X to do Y" Then we would all be focused. I'm sure it is being discussed, but will it ever get minuted.. NO
But we don't put out the best team possible. If we were to scrap the academy then the salaries of the protection officer, coaching staff etc could play for a top class forward.

The fundamental point is the between the long term and medium to short term priorities. Having seen the collapse of the club in the 1980's because we got the balance wrong is my worry. I have since then believed that to be successful we have needed to develop the infrastructure of the club. Indeed develop the club.

Just a guess on my part but notwithstanding that those of us 60 and above won't be around in 30 years time and therefore you'd think would be more invested in the put the best team out argument, my belief is that those of us who remember 1987 know we need to invest in a stadium.

Lost in Willesden wrote:Both.

But that's unrealistic. Lincoln sold the lie that they invested in infrastructure and youth after an away draw at somebody. Lincoln investing in youth think about, most of the population was Eastern European pickers. Yes they built a new leisure centre, they never went higher than Len Ashurst's Port.

Clearly County made some folding from all of those Cup games on the Telly. But, I imagine less than envisaged by some.

The thing is...it's essentially a fan ran club. Why? Because we went out of business in 1989. We were actually broke in 1982. 2 years after our greatest season, bank loans kept us going. It took another 7 for loans that we'er,'t secured or even leveraged to be called in.

So, there are always three options.

Keep the club solvent, or even alive.

Invest in this

Invest in that

I personally am concerned there are more directors than log-term decent players(2 yr contracts) because that sends the message the Flynny years have attracted some hangers-on. Which means that hard fought for folding will disappear into nothing.

No Director has ever appeared on the end of a cross, but many have disappeared with the Crown Jewels.

Having said that. We are homeless and Flynny has a point there.

The Trust Boards main concern its raison de etre is to keep the club alive. So,it's a tricky choice of all of the above choices.

I don't know what the finances really are. (Accounts can always be manipulated). But a club like Newport, turnover about 500-750k without cup money. The D2 money is about (solidarity payments, that are up) are about 750k per year but to each club and the Newcastle situation will only add to inflation.

Clearly; If you haven't got a training ground it's almost impossible to develop a youth programme. When I was 14, playing for Risca Rangers, Chelsea came to look at me in a game against Gelligoes.
I was outplayed by 4 brilliant players who were already on Cardiff's books. (Took 4 mind )

Is there even a western Valleys youth League anymore?

So, build a youth structure. If, there aren't any set them up. The Nigel Vaughan, Steve Lownes talent is always there.

The old Alcan should have been the new site. Long gone. Identify a new site for a Newport County stadium and training and development hub. Perhaps, said this before near llanwern, ring land cheapest land in the whole of the UK. Set some money aside look for investors.

Leaves, the tricky issue of what percentage to invest in the team. To, achieve the above you have to have success. Flynny achieved that. Where's the money gone?

As Torquay says, please report. Flynny did his job, did the Board? We have less players on long-term contracts now, than we have directors. It's a ******* football club, not a branch the Conservative Party.
I have no idea how many players are on long term contracts. It’s a delicate matter given the state of football politics and finance today. Regarding Directors, if there are as many as you think I hope they don’t all turn up at once in their cars as there are only Directors parking spaces for 5 at RP.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Nineteen Eighty wrote:Of Course we have to put out the Best Team possible. The opposite is "Not to try to win". But if there was forward planning (should I say open discussion) minds would be concentrated, sources found.
If the club came out and openly said. "We're looking to raise £X to do Y" Then we would all be focused. I'm sure it is being discussed, but will it ever get minuted.. NO
But we don't put out the best team possible. If we were to scrap the academy then the salaries of the protection officer, coaching staff etc could play for a top class forward.

The fundamental point is the between the long term and medium to short term priorities. Having seen the collapse of the club in the 1980's because we got the balance wrong is my worry. I have since then believed that to be successful we have needed to develop the infrastructure of the club. Indeed develop the club.

Just a guess on my part but notwithstanding that those of us 60 and above won't be around in 30 years time and therefore you'd think would be more invested in the put the best team out argument, my belief is that those of us who remember 1987 know we need to invest in a stadium.
That not my belief, and I would suggest you are in the minority. We have use of a fit for purpose stadium smack in the middle of a city. We are in a much better position today than when we owned Somerton Park. Your obsession with ownership is moronic. You need to take a look at clubs who rent stadia as far more do than own. It simply isn't a problem. Yes you will get clubs fall out with the landlords, but the vast majority it works out fine.

I stood behind you in the queue at the Riverside when you bought your shares. All I can say is if you are really worried you would have invested more than you did.

Stan you live in Ireland by choice, hardly attend matches, so please help me....... why should anyone on this forum be overly concerned by the ill researched opinions/rantings of a former fan?

Bangitintrnet wrote:Your obsession with ownership is moronic.

I stood behind you in the queue at the Riverside when you bought your shares. All I can say is if you are really worried you would have invested more than you did.

Stan you live in Ireland by choice, hardly attend matches, so please help me....... why should anyone on this forum be overly concerned by the ill researched opinions/rantings of a former fan?
As you can see by the polling about 50% agree with me and 50% don't.

I will endeavour to persuade the 50% who disagree with me that they are mistaken. I somehow think that if I were to put up an insulting rant such as you have done I would only damage to my argument.

Now I will meet your single logical argument. That being that that some league clubs rent. And if we were renting from the local authority then I would have no difficulty. However we rent from the WRU. They are our rivals for the disposable income of the Newport sporting public.

Oh and to answer your final point. People shouldn't listen to me. What I ask people to do is to look at everyone's opinions and to make up their own minds.
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on October 11th, 2021, 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Who were the original incarnation of County renting from when the plug was pulled?
The local authority.

The reason why the plug was pulled is because we didn't pay our rent. Your point being?

Edit.

It is always better to own than to rent. But if there is no option but to rent, it is best t rent from a local authority. I think it a shame that Newport City Council didn't buy Rodney Parade and rent it to both codes of football in our city. I said so at the time and have said so since.

It might help George if you took your time, and thought your arguments through. By trying to make snide little comments you do make yourself look silly.