Question Newport County

Poll ended at October 14th, 2021, 12:17 pm You may select 1 option

should put out the best possible team;
Total votes: 22 (47%)
begin to put resources into the development of the club.?
Total votes: 22 (47%)
Or no opinion
Total votes: 3 (6%)
Total votes: 47

Re: Poll how should we move forward as a Club

NearlyDead wrote:
There are positives and negatives about owning your own ground. And people will have different views about whether we should.

That is the essence of this thread.

Now clearly I am convinced that if not ownership, at least an equal stake in the stadium we play in is necessary for the club to flourish. Which is why as well as a simple vote I looked forward to the comments. Which are useful firstly because it allows us to have our minds changed and it forces us to firm up our arguments even if our viewpoint remains unchanged.

I regret very much that two or three posters rather than engage seem to only want to have repeated bursts of blood red shouting. And they really should apologize. Not to me, but to the people who disagree with me. Those who want to sensibly argue that I am wrong are being drowned out by those who add nothing to the debate but huge amounts to a toxic environment.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
NearlyDead wrote:
There are positives and negatives about owning your own ground. And people will have different views about whether we should.

That is the essence of this thread.

Now clearly I am convinced that if not ownership, at least an equal stake in the stadium we play in is necessary for the club to flourish. Which is why as well as a simple vote I looked forward to the comments. Which are useful firstly because it allows us to have our minds changed and it forces us to firm up our arguments even if our viewpoint remains unchanged.

I regret very much that two or three posters rather than engage seem to only want to have repeated bursts of blood red shouting. And they really should apologize. Not to me, but to the people who disagree with me. Those who want to sensibly argue that I am wrong are being drowned out by those who add nothing to the debate but huge amounts to a toxic environment.
I am sorry Stan, sorry that I didn't respond earlier, but I have been at the game today, not hiding behind my keyboard.

Can you confirm how exactly the condescending clap trap above, further's this particular debate?

Take your head out of your arse and debate.

All you have done in this thread is hide behind diversion/insults/insinuation and condescending requests and even a declaration.

You have done nothing in the last 10 years, to disprove that you are in fact a troll.

You just hide behind the mask of seeking the truth, or providing opposition to launch undeserved attacks on those working hard for the club.

That's what all trolls do, hide behind something pretending that they have good reason for their repulsive actions.

So prove to us what years and years of unnecessary attacks has actually delivered.

I enjoyed the atmosphere at Exeter yesterday, an attendance of just over 5000 (great Newport support) in a town that also has a very successful rugby side. Indeed Exeter Chiefs get crowds that the Dragons, and probably the other regional sides, can only dream of. Both Teams enjoy their own excellent stadiums.

Exeter has a population of 122,000 compared to Newport’s 158,000, yet in either sporting codes we can’t match attendances, so why?

I was also interested to see extensive LED advertising for hustings that were also taking place yesterday for candidates to the Trust Board. Perhaps a lesson for us in trying to connect with supporters, and doing it at a time suitable for the many and not necessarily the few.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:I enjoyed the atmosphere at Exeter yesterday, an attendance of just over 5000 (great Newport support) in a town that also has a very successful rugby side. Indeed Exeter Chiefs get crowds that the Dragons, and probably the other regional sides, can only dream of. Both Teams enjoy their own excellent stadiums.

Exeter has a population of 122,000 compared to Newport’s 158,000, yet in either sporting codes we can’t match attendances, so why?

I was also interested to see extensive LED advertising for hustings that were also taking place yesterday for candidates to the Trust Board. Perhaps a lesson for us in trying to connect with supporters, and doing it at a time suitable for the many and not necessarily the few.
Perhaps we should look down the road to our neighbours in Cardiff! i watched the cardiff v sharks game last night and it bemused me how over night cardiff quadrupled their attendance, but wait they are no longer this blues regional crap they are cardiff rugby a team that represents the city of cardiff a team with an identity that the rugby loving public of cardiff can identify with.

Its what needs to be done in newport with the rugby team so that we have two teams representing newport playing out of RP then and only then can we both get stronger Newport county and Newport rugby together we can build on that partnership and both get stronger together with two teams that the people of Newport can identify with.

George Street-Bridge wrote: October 17th, 2021, 10:06 am Exactly. And if NRFC can be folded into the Dragons and the whole thing branded Newport Rugby, the club can lay claim to the fantastic history of rugby in the city. As things stand the Dragons' pedigree goes back less than 20 years.
Let's follow your argument to one possible conclusion. What if there was only one club, branded Newport, playing in both codes? It works on the continent.

Like Real Madrid football and basketball? No. A successful football side of the operation could be held back by a struggling rugby end of it.

Or vice versa, of course. But club rugby is on the slide and I see that continuing and I can genuinely see the head injury thing wrecking the sport because parents will shun rugby for football. On top of that the rules have got too complicated for spectators and players have got too big and too fast for 15 a side on a pitch that size. Its best hope is to evolve into something so like rugby league it might as well be rugby league.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: October 17th, 2021, 8:30 am I enjoyed the atmosphere at Exeter yesterday, an attendance of just over 5000 (great Newport support) in a town that also has a very successful rugby side. Indeed Exeter Chiefs get crowds that the Dragons, and probably the other regional sides, can only dream of. Both Teams enjoy their own excellent stadiums.

I think that the recent history of both clubs is very different. If Newport County had been able to pay debts off at a rate of 10p in the pound as Exeter did, they may not have gone bust. Going bust led to playing in the Hellenic League and losing fans.

There was a minutes silence before the game yesterday for a former Exeter Mayor. It was stated that the Mayor had orchestrated the construction of the Stagecoach Stand and terracing. A quick look at Google reveals that this was funded by the construction of student flats. Exeter has a large population of university students, Newport doesn't. Are league clubs with large university campus generally better supported?

Agree that the advertising was very good way of publishing the details. It was also interesting that the electronic boards seemed to have identical screen faults as the ones at RP had last season. RP is having new ones installed, did Exeter purchase the old ones?

Finally is there any real link between population and number of football fans? Is there some sort of formula published, is this accurate for both Manchester United and Carlisle United?

I believe any link is tenuous at best, and can find no club/league that publishes any such details.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: October 17th, 2021, 8:30 am I enjoyed the atmosphere at Exeter yesterday, an attendance of just over 5000 (great Newport support) in a town that also has a very successful rugby side. Indeed Exeter Chiefs get crowds that the Dragons, and probably the other regional sides, can only dream of. Both Teams enjoy their own excellent stadiums.

1) Exeter has a higher proportion of AB or C1 than the average for England and lower rates of benefits than the average for England.
2) Exeter Rugby are a team formed 150 years ago, not a supposed amalgam of the teams in a region formed in 2003, an arrangement that basically has lead to a majority of supporters from the other clubs in the region boycotting the team.
3) Exeter City own their ground and have a flourishing academy which has been a great source of income for many years and is possibly a "pull" for would be supporters who might be attracted to seeing possibly "stars of the future".

Newport has roughly the average proportion of AB or C1 than the average for Wales (of which the average is lower than England). The rates of benefits are slightly higher than the Wales average.
Newport RFC are one of a number of clubs that have suffered from the formation of regional rugby in Wales. Prior to regional rugby they were apparently the best supported Welsh team, the current average attendance for Newport Dragons is slightly up on the average attendance for Newport RFC in 2002-03.
The WRU own Rodney Parade, supposed on behalf of Newport Dragons. They contribute less to Newport Dragons than other regions.

Hope that helps.

Here goes. I tend to agree with the comments of one of our Senior players from nearly 50 years ago. It has been mentioned on here, I won’t repeat it as I haven’t got my tin hat on.

For years this issue has been done to death. We don’t seem able to come up with an answer. I would love to know how we get the Newport public on board as they do in other cities of comparable size. However, it has to come from a mindset.

We seem unable to do it ourselves, perhaps someone with a bit of cash could commission someone/body to tell us all where we are going wrong. I’d love to know. After 57 years of following the County I have no idea how we do it. That is not meant to be defeatist, it is just what I observe. So sad.

pembsexile wrote: October 17th, 2021, 6:46 pm

Here goes. I tend to agree with the comments of one of our Senior players from nearly 50 years ago. It has been mentioned on here, I won’t repeat it as I haven’t got my tin hat on.

For years this issue has been done to death. We don’t seem able to come up with an answer. I would love to know how we get the Newport public on board as they do in other cities of comparable size. However, it has to come from a mindset.

We seem unable to do it ourselves, perhaps someone with a bit of cash could commission someone/body to tell us all where we are going wrong. I’d love to know. After 57 years of following the County I have no idea how we do it. That is not meant to be defeatist, it is just what I observe. So sad.
Maybe something like Newport rfc done at the turn of the millenium Mike! a family village to attract the younger generation who have to drag their parents along with them, it worked for newport rfc along with having some of the best players in the world off course but their attendance went from around the 1,000 mark to 8/9k in a few months, but we could never do that cos we don't own as much as a blade of grass at rp and the wru would never allow it.

llanwern exile wrote: October 17th, 2021, 7:50 pm
pembsexile wrote: October 17th, 2021, 6:46 pm

Maybe something like Newport rfc done at the turn of the millenium Mike! a family village to attract the younger generation who have to drag their parents along with them, it worked for newport rfc along with having some of the best players in the world off course but their attendance went from around the 1,000 mark to 8/9k in a few months, but we could never do that cos we don't own as much as a blade of grass at rp and the wru would never allow it.
Yeh, agree mate, the family village was rocking in those days. I think it was Tony Brown who was the benefactor then. He put a lot of money in and we could do with someone like him now. What is true (at most sporting clubs), is that success breeds interest. However, it is a chicken and egg scenario, what comes first.

To go back to basics, I still have no idea as to why there is a proportional lack of interest in the County in the wider Newport public. I see it in my own extended Newport family. They are not bothered at all and wonder why I support the club from afar and still go to 4/5 games a season. I’m too old to change, but we need to generate interest in the youngsters primarily somehow. I’d love the sceptics/cynics to be wrong but they aren’t. Not from the evidence I see anyway.

pembsexile wrote: October 17th, 2021, 9:33 pm

To go back to basics, I still have no idea as to why there is a proportional lack of interest in the County in the wider Newport public. I see it in my own extended Newport family. They are not bothered at all and wonder why I support the club from afar and still go to 4/5 games a season. I’m too old to change, but we need to generate interest in the youngsters primarily somehow. I’d love the sceptics/cynics to be wrong but they aren’t. Not from the evidence I see anyway.
Evening Mike,

I trust you're well.

Looking at the posts from yourself, Llanwern and Taunton, I think we all agree that for the size of Newport our gates are disappointing. That can only be two reasons for this. Either the people of Newport are somehow different from everyone else or we're doing something(s) wrong. I think it's the latter, and if that is the case we can put it right.

And notwithstanding the cynics I shall continue to live in hope.

[quote="Stan A. Einstein"
Looking at the posts from yourself, Llanwern and Taunton, I think we all agree that for the size of Newport our gates are disappointing. That can only be two reasons for this. Either the people of Newport are somehow different from everyone else or we're doing something(s) wrong. I think it's the latter, and if that is the case we can put it right.

[/quote]

So despite not attending himself, and not living in Newport, Troll Einstein thinks "we" are doing something wrong.

Further he has indicated previously that MY club should use the academy money on his big project.

Interesting. All those different age groups, and proud mum's and dad's, (all potential future supporters) cut away with one slice of his foreign troll axe.

[quote="Stan A. Einstein"

[/quote]

So despite not attending himself, and not living in Newport, Troll Einstein thinks "we" are doing something wrong.

Further he has indicated previously that MY club should use the academy money on his big project.

Interesting. All those different age groups, and proud mum's and dad's, (all potential future supporters) cut away with one slice of his foreign troll axe.