Re: Covid Passport

whoareya wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Just one little point.

It may well be that mistakes are made. Sometimes things don't make sense. But.

The UK mortality rate is double that of Ireland. Because of the total incompetence of the Johnson Administration 75,000 UK citizens who should be alive are dead. 75,000 families will mourn, come Christmas 75,000 families will have an empty chair around the dining table.

If the Welsh Government are being overly cautious, and that's a big if, it is only because Mark Drakeford, unlike Boris Johnson actually does care about you. Getting a Covid Passport isn't exactly a Herculean task now is It?
What is that mortality rate comparison based on, and what is that 75,000 deaths figure based on?
Quite simple really.

You take the population of two countries. You then look at the number of deaths in the smaller country. You then multiply that number by the the multiple of the larger state to get a comparative figure. I have rounded the numbers I will now show you the math's.

Ireland has a population of 5,000,000. There have been 5,000 Covid related deaths. The UK has a population of 65,000,000. In terms people living in the UK outnumber people living in Ireland by about thirteen to one. If you multiply 5,000 by 13 you reach 75,000. So per capita, you would expect 75,000 to have died of Covid 19 in the UK since the start of the pandemic. Therefore to have a mortality rate of 150,000, does tragically mean 75,000 excess deaths.

Two final points. Firstly Ireland made a massive mistake last Christmas in opening up too early. So the government here have not been above criticism. Secondly it may well be, indeed almost certainly is, the case that many people reading this board will have lost loved ones to this dreadful disease. Let's try to remember each death was a human being and treat them all with the respect they deserve.

George Street-Bridge wrote:The club statement could be clearer in spelling out that only people living in Wales can get online passes. Assuming I haven't completely misunderstood, of course.

Stevenage who we play on 30 Oct put up ticketing details on Monday, the day before the situation on passes was clarified.
You must be able to get them in England because English people need them for foreign travel.

Ugo. wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:The problem here is,not enough notice.We have a game a week tonight.There could be fans turned away because their Covid Pass hasn’t arrived in time.I just happened to get through five minutes before five,the lady said it will arrive within ten working days.
Was told on Saturday that we don’t need Covid passes at Rp at all at the moment.
We do now.
Thank you. Things change quickly. Just saw the statement on the club site.

However, it seems our English fans are temporarily digitally disenfranchised. Hope they resolve it.

Just in the process of getting mine now.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
whoareya wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Just one little point.

It may well be that mistakes are made. Sometimes things don't make sense. But.

The UK mortality rate is double that of Ireland. Because of the total incompetence of the Johnson Administration 75,000 UK citizens who should be alive are dead. 75,000 families will mourn, come Christmas 75,000 families will have an empty chair around the dining table.

If the Welsh Government are being overly cautious, and that's a big if, it is only because Mark Drakeford, unlike Boris Johnson actually does care about you. Getting a Covid Passport isn't exactly a Herculean task now is It?
What is that mortality rate comparison based on, and what is that 75,000 deaths figure based on?
Quite simple really.

You take the population of two countries. You then look at the number of deaths in the smaller country. You then multiply that number by the the multiple of the larger state to get a comparative figure. I have rounded the numbers I will now show you the math's.

Ireland has a population of 5,000,000. There have been 5,000 Covid related deaths. The UK has a population of 65,000,000. In terms people living in the UK outnumber people living in Ireland by about thirteen to one. If you multiply 5,000 by 13 you reach 75,000. So per capita, you would expect 75,000 to have died of Covid 19 in the UK since the start of the pandemic. Therefore to have a mortality rate of 150,000, does tragically mean 75,000 excess deaths.
Not really, that assumes the lower reference point is the base line for all other comparisons to reference from.
If you also consider mortality against the number of reported infections then you'll see both the UK and Ireland have very similar rates.
The UK government has made many mistakes (complicated by the four way split of the respective measures each of the UK nations made) but to conclude that Ireland is a benchmark is clearly wrong..

G Guest wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:The club statement could be clearer in spelling out that only people living in Wales can get online passes. Assuming I haven't completely misunderstood, of course.

Stevenage who we play on 30 Oct put up ticketing details on Monday, the day before the situation on passes was clarified.
You must be able to get them in England because English people need them for foreign travel.
Yes, we've had them here for a long time - one month validity on a rolling basis - log in every month and the pass extends another month.

excessbee wrote:
G Guest wrote:I see. I'm not sure it is as easy as all that. You have to register the test with the Welsh Government and have codes of some sort that come with the test kit. So you have to have a real test kit with codes that the government computer recognises as genuine. If you have a test kit you might as well use it properly. I think that it is the return message from the government confirming that you have registered a negative test that you have to show on the door.
Have you ever done one of these? The return message is only a formal presentation of the result that you submitted. It doesn't even mean that a test (swab, put into liquid reactor, dripped onto slide, wait thirty minutes) was actually undertaken. It gives you a formal presentation that the result of the test slide number which you submitted (by scanning on your phone) was whatever you told them it was. I've done four or five, legitimately, if I needed one in a rush, and was so inclined, it would take about 5 minutes. It's a deeply flawed system.
I'm not saying that people can't lie about their test result. I am questioning why anyone would want to , since it seems easier just to take the test legitimately.

George Street-Bridge wrote:OK, so what I should have said is it would be better for the club statement to say "To get a pass, click here if you live in Wales and here if you live in England".
I think so yes, my Covid pass from the English NHS was available both digitally and to print off. There seems to be some level of Europe-wide collaboration as the QR code could be scanned abroad so I assume the same would hold true in Wales but it wasn't formally checked at Cardiff Airport so I can't be sure.

whoareya wrote:
Not really, that assumes the lower reference point is the base line for all other comparisons to reference from.
If you also consider mortality against the number of reported infections then you'll see both the UK and Ireland have very similar rates.
The UK government has made many mistakes (complicated by the four way split of the respective measures each of the UK nations made) but to conclude that Ireland is a benchmark is clearly wrong..
Yesterday in Ireland 997 cases of Covid 19 were reported by the HSE (Health Service Executive.) Near as damn it 1,000. In a population 13 times larger the corresponding figure for Covid infections should be 13,000.

The actual figure in the UK was in fact 38,520.

Unlike conversation about stadiums or club development, this discussion involves the deaths of real people. I rather think that you should pay proper respect to those who have died, and the families who loved them, and check your figures before spouting the factually inaccurate.

Yesterday 3 people died of Covid in Ireland. Of course daily figures can be misleading. But in the UK the figure was 143. Not that misleading.

But let's stop being silly shall we? The truth is the UK has a totally incompetent government. Each and every person lost is a tragedy. I think we should try and remember that.

G Guest wrote:
I'm not saying that people can't lie about their test result. I am questioning why anyone would want to , since it seems easier just to take the test legitimately.
George,

I'm sure you are a very decent person. And like most of us would never put the life of other people at risk. Unfortunately not everyone is decent. Some people are selfish. Some people who have Covid but are not particularly ill will think their enjoyment of a football match is more important than the life of some old codger they don't know.

excessbee wrote:I live in England and got an online pass at the end of July. Only through my misunderstanding has it lapsed. I'll get another one soon and make sure I refresh it within the 30 days.
The Wales app is the same as the English one and has to be renewed every month.

The paper certificate, which incidentally is posted from Bath for Wales residents, has no expiry date and does not have to be renewed. So in some ways the paper version is preferable. Just carry it in your pocket and otherwise forget it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
whoareya wrote:
Yesterday in Ireland 997 cases of Covid 19 were reported by the HSE (Health Service Executive.) Near as damn it 1,000. In a population 13 times larger the corresponding figure for Covid infections should be 13,000.

The actual figure in the UK was in fact 38,520.

Unlike conversation about stadiums or club development, this discussion involves the deaths of real people. I rather think that you should pay proper respect to those who have died, and the families who loved them, and check your figures before spouting the factually inaccurate.

Yesterday 3 people died of Covid in Ireland. Of course daily figures can be misleading. But in the UK the figure was 143. Not that misleading.

But let's stop being silly shall we? The truth is the UK has a totally incompetent government. Each and every person lost is a tragedy. I think we should try and remember that.
Clarifying that your own interpretation of statistics is misleading is not silly, so no need for your moral sermons about mortality to garnish your viewpoint. Latest weekly infection rates in Ireland have increased by about 40%

The 0300 303 5667 phone number was out of action for a while this morning but is back working now.

I did mange to get through and after listening to a pile of Welsh I was through pretty quickly, and dealt with quickly.

|I only had to give name, address and date of birth.
Paper Covid Pass to be sent out in next 7 days.
Also the nice chap on the line said that currently that there is no time limit on the paper Covid Pass.

Not sure why the electronic version needs to be so complicated, down loading passport scans, entering and reading code number just too sign up, without yet getting to apply for the Pass.
And the electronic one only lasts a month???!!!