Re: James Rowberry

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: October 19th, 2021, 4:35 pm I like James Rowberry and have been on a couple of coaching courses with him. He has a good coaching acumen but it remains to be seen if he can handle senior pros all vying for a game, but if he has a Plan B and C in his locker for winning games that will do for me.
I wish him well but am sitting on the fence as to whether he’s the right person to take what is a mid-table Lge2 club forward and improve us on & off the pitch. Can’t help feeling he will really benefit from having Hats around and I’d also expect to see Byron return to the club
Didn't Byron leave under a very dark cloud (was asked to leave)?

G Guest wrote: October 20th, 2021, 10:56 pm One of the great things about football is that there is no hiding from results. A good manager will show up quickly, so will a poser. We will know by Christmas what we have got in Rowberry. Sounds harsh but football is an unforgiving business.
I agree in part. However both Howard Kendall at Everton and Alex Ferguson at Manchester United were within an inch of being fired, undoubtedly would have been today. Both went on to be successful.

The key for me will be player recruitment. He's clearly highly qualified on the coaching front but to put this into practice requires the players to do it and persuading those that he wants to bring to the Club that don't live near the area to move. It's great having formations, stats and all the rest of it but the players are key and this is where the test will come.

Mr Figo wrote: October 21st, 2021, 8:56 am The key for me will be player recruitment. He's clearly highly qualified on the coaching front but to put this into practice requires the players to do it and persuading those that he wants to bring to the Club that don't live near the area to move. It's great having formations, stats and all the rest of it but the players are key and this is where the test will come.
Agree totally. I can't remember which one of the boot room it was, but when asked for the reason Liverpool were so successful the reply was "We have the best players".

I can’t imagine the SD will be signing players,his role is to suggest possible targets that would benefit the team.The final decision has to be the managers’ otherwise it won’t work.I remember Dennis Wise started signing players when he was SD at Newcastle,this caused friction with the manager,cannot remember who he was,resulting in Wise leaving.The final decision will be Rowberry.

Percy plunkett wrote: October 21st, 2021, 12:55 pm I can’t imagine the SD will be signing players,his role is to suggest possible targets that would benefit the team.The final decision has to be the managers’ otherwise it won’t work.I remember Dennis Wise started signing players when he was SD at Newcastle,this caused friction with the manager,cannot remember who he was,resulting in Wise leaving.The final decision will be Rowberry.

On 29 January 2008, Newcastle United announced that Dennis Wise would be joining the club as Executive Director. Although, speculated to be in the role of, Director of Football or General Manager, first-team manager Kevin Keegan. Keegan had previously expressed disquiet with the concept of a Director of Football.

I was under whelmed by the appointment but having watched the press conference have a lot more confidence in this guy and what a refreshing change from Flynn’s press performances.

You assume he has substance as a football man from a long stint at Cardiff surviving a number of managers and I can see players wanting to play for him.

Looking forward to the evolution.

I have just seen this interview. Echo Jack’s thoughts. Comes across very well with , joy of joys, limited football cliches. He backs himself. He had a good living at Cardiff and took the decision to be accountable in the front line with us. A bold move by the club but one by James also. It may be rocky from time to time as he needs to find his way as a “gaffer” but, all involved supporting the Port need to get behind him and the team.

Agree,agree agree
The man comes across as a breath of fresh air....if the team cannot take something already from his infectious zest they need to!!
How can you not be impressed with his enthusiasm and happy demeanour?
100% good bloke and will be with us for a long time methinks
Every good wish to the chap