Re: Upson

G Guest wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 9:40 pm I remember Len Ashurst saying that when he joined County he was pleased to learn that Howard Goddard was one of his players. Goddard was a wonderful player.
He was unbelievable. A fast Shearer is how I would describe him. A nothing League Cup game if I remember. Luton had tabled a £100k( worth about £10m I suppose today, for a 4th Division player).

I saw Tynon, Aldridge..etc. You know when you meet that lonely guy in the corner of the pub and he says, ay but ye never saw Goddard.

Lost in Willesden wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 9:48 pm
G Guest wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 9:40 pm I remember Len Ashurst saying that when he joined County he was pleased to learn that Howard Goddard was one of his players. Goddard was a wonderful player.
He was unbelievable. A fast Shearer is how I would describe him. A nothing League Cup game if I remember. Luton had tabled a £100k( worth about £10m I suppose today, for a 4th Division player).

I saw Tynon, Aldridge..etc. You know when you meet that lonely guy in the corner of the pub and he says, ay but ye never saw Goddard.
Always supprised me that there were not any mini Godard's and Tynan's about Newport, 20 years after they left the club.

I always remember Goddard's comeback game after the break (and re-break) of his leg. Portsmouth at home and he came on as substitute and lofted the ball over their keeper from around the half-way line. I'm not sure he played after that. My memory fails me but I think he may have sustained further damage during the game and had to call it's quits. A truly wonderful player that I've often felt privileged to have seen play.

wattsville_boy wrote: October 26th, 2021, 10:53 pm I always remember Goddard's comeback game after the break (and re-break) of his leg. Portsmouth at home and he came on as substitute and lofted the ball over their keeper from around the half-way line. I'm not sure he played after that. My memory fails me but I think he may have sustained further damage during the game and had to call it's quits. A truly wonderful player that I've often felt privileged to have seen play.
Millwall 1-1 draw October 1981. If my memory serves.

I remember the game when Goddard broke his leg. My brother was coming up and we were going to Portsmouth by train from Reading via Guildford but his train was late and we worked out we couldn't get there in time. We wound up going to Arsenal v Plymouth in the League Cup, the only time I ever went to Highbury.