Re: Barton post-match interview

gazza wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:52 pm Certainly no fan of this man but to be fair, he could have meant to say ‘horror story…’ and chose the words wrong. Not sure if English Lang was his best subject at school.
I agree, the mass slaughter of European Jews in Nazi concentration camps is not the only use of the word “ holocaust “ in any case! If you look it up in any decent dictionary it also defines it as “ a mass destruction, often by fire “ so perhaps he thought that’s what we did to them on Saturday. I hope he’s not going to be smeared as an antisemite by his lack of a good choice of words.

lowandhard wrote: October 24th, 2021, 10:14 pm
gazza wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:52 pm Certainly no fan of this man but to be fair, he could have meant to say ‘horror story…’ and chose the words wrong. Not sure if English Lang was his best subject at school.
I agree, the mass slaughter of European Jews in Nazi concentration camps is not the only use of the word “ holocaust “ in any case! If you look it up in any decent dictionary it also defines it as “ a mass destruction, often by fire “ so perhaps he thought that’s what we did to them on Saturday. I hope he’s not going to be smeared as an antisemite by his lack of a good choice of words.
I can't stand Joey Barton. However I agree, his remark was not an attempt to be anti-Semitic. Funnily I remember the the late Chief Rabbi talking about the tsunami of pain that casual use of language can cause. And he being rather red faced when it was pointed out that a quarter of a million people had died in a real tsunami and was it really appropriate to use the word tsunami?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: October 24th, 2021, 10:55 pm
lowandhard wrote: October 24th, 2021, 10:14 pm
I can't stand Joey Barton. However I agree, his remark was not an attempt to be anti-Semitic. Funnily I remember the the late Chief Rabbi talking about the tsunami of pain that casual use of language can cause. And he being rather red faced when it was pointed out that a quarter of a million people had died in a real tsunami and was it really appropriate to use the word tsunami?
Haha yes - and again I wouldn’t have criticised the rabbi for attempting to describe overwhelming pain but if you give it you’ve got to take it! I’m pretty circumspect ( much more so than say at a dinner party ) in my choice of words when I express myself on social media these days. My big failing is when I turn my attention to politicians when expletives and hyperbole flow with the energy and rapidity of a mountain stream after a deluge of biblical proportions. Nobody’s perfect though eh? I’m sure it changes no minds but at least it makes me feel better.
Incidentally. I find this over-sensitivity about use of words and phrases rather tedious and sadly it makes people less likely to communicate their true feelings on matters.

I heard the interview and I think he probably meant rollercoaster of a game.

The problem is people have jumped on the word he used without hearing what he actually said. You would have known it didn’t make any sense.

The other issue is Barton made no attempt to clear up any confusion and removing the video leaves it open to interpretation others have made.

Having seen the interview before it was taken down, I've got no doubt he meant to say 'holocaust'. He was referring to why he didn't have a settled team, with one reason being players being picked, playing badly, and then being dropped.
Sadly, I've heard the word used before in football circles. 'You've had an absolute holocaust out there today, son' - that's the kind of context I've heard it used.
Stupid word to use but I don't for a moment think he used it in an anti-Semitic way, though why he didn't just apologise or on the spot, or soon after, is beyond me.

Jonesy3 wrote: October 26th, 2021, 2:03 pm Having seen the interview before it was taken down, I've got no doubt he meant to say 'holocaust'. He was referring to why he didn't have a settled team, with one reason being players being picked, playing badly, and then being dropped.
Sadly, I've heard the word used before in football circles. 'You've had an absolute holocaust out there today, son' - that's the kind of context I've heard it used.
Stupid word to use but I don't for a moment think he used it in an anti-Semitic way, though why he didn't just apologise or on the spot, or soon after, is beyond me.
No need to though if you look up the definition. The problem is that only the use associated with Nazi Germany is in people’s consciousness due to media use and a lack of literacy.